Thread: XR5, should I?
View Single Post
Old 17-03-2007, 02:42 AM   #2
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Hey there Four Barrell,

Well the short answer is yes you should. The XR5 is a brilliant all rounder that combines effortless acceleration and brilliant handling with a smooth and compliant ride (geez, I sound like a Ford promo). The only bad thing for me is the lack of cruise control, but I’m just about over that now.

I wouldn’t get hung up on acceleration figures though, because the XR5 is quicker than the numbers suggest. The 0-100 times are affected by the fact that you have to make a change into 3rd gear at 97 km/h (which adds a bout .4 secs) and it is also a bugger to launch off the line cleanly.

Some of the guys over at fordxr5turbo.com (check it out, it’s a great site) have run 14.4 in stock trim, so they can pull good times when driven well. Its strength though, is in gear acceleration. Once it’s rolling, it’s quite rapid, and from a roll would go close to matching your XR8. But the best bit about the acceleration is how effortless it is (due to the peak torque coming in at about 1600 rpm). For example, from 80 – 120 in 5th gear or 6th gear, the XR5 would actually be quicker than your XR8.

But the thing you will notice when you test drive one, is the handling. Sure big cars these days handle very well, but they just don’t have the agility of smaller cars, and you will love the way the XR5 goes around tight corners and through roundabouts. I actually find the XR5 more sure footed and confidence inspiring (especially in the wet) than my old XR6 (which was lowered with Koni’s). The front wheel drive factor is only a problem if you want modify the car and chase massive power. In standarrd trim, the torque steer is virtually non existent, and understeer is only ever an issue when you’re right on the limit.

They are quite roomy for a hatch back (and the Recaro's are sensational), and there are a couple of guys well over 6ft over at the XR5 forum that reckon they have no problems with leg room.

The XR5 is built in Germany and is appreciably better built than the other Focus models coming out of South Africa. I’m yet to hear of any major reliability issues, and I spend an unhealthy amount of time over at the XR5 forum. You will save at the bowser too, as the XR5 will use about 20% less juice than the XR8. Anyway, I could ramble on all night, but the best thing for you to do is take a test drive, and like everyone else, I’m sure you’ll be won over within a bout the first 60 seconds.

Hope that helps.

Simon.

P.s Don’t worry too much about missing the awesome rumble of your V8, as the Volvo 5 pot sounds almost as sweet – and I aint kidding either!
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote