View Single Post
Old 06-03-2008, 12:58 AM   #326
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Dapgy are you my brother?

I had an engine mount problem with my EH... after changing a gearbox (engine out job) I forgot to put the bolt in on each side, so the 208 was just resting on the mounts.

I went down to the shops (small country town) to get some xmas wrapping paper on a Sat morning. After stalling it twice while trying to turn onto the main street - damn 44/74 cam - I dumped it, and the engine promptly jumped off the mounts and landed on the crossmember - unfortunately this pinned the throttle linkage for the triple 45mm Webers wide open, but as I had my foot buried in the floorpan I didn't realise... till I went for second and thought hmmm why didn't the revs drop. By now I'm nearing redline in second so I go for third, still puzzled and the speedo is zooming past 80mph while all the Saturday morning shoppers have paused to watch me scream by... now I've realised I have a problem, so I push the clutch in and shut the motor down... the local mechanic has heard this thing coming (it was a loud car!) and looks up the road to see an EH rocketing towards him then suddenly everything goes quiet as it coasts past at 90mph

He gave me two bolts and the use of a trolley jack to lift the motor, and I went home. Forgot the damn xmas wrapping paper!
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote