View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 02:12 AM   #200
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What will be the next "Classic"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
I'm not trying to be negative but from an objective point of view, when it comes to safety, overall performance and expense (restoring a car costs big $$ I assume, paint, rare parts, body work, new powertrains etc), classics just don't compare. I understand the benefits, like ease of maintenance, the nostalgia, the styling etc., the attention and satisfaction that owning a classic brings but to say that modern cars are "plastic fantastic" pieces of garbage isn't true.
okay, better scrap my EH and XP and go buy a Prius. I also understand the benefits of later model cars, but rather than accept the missus' suggestion to ugrade to her EF Fairmont as a daily driver when she got her XR6T, I decided just to pass it on to the inlaws and happily continue along with the EH wagon. Yes it takes a few minutes to warm up each morning, gets below average economy, non-existent safety features, no heating or aircon..... I'm not naive about the whole thing, but the experience of owning and using a classic as a daily is just something else. One day I might retire her to weekend only use and use something more modern with creature comforts, maybe even stretch 20 years newer..... after all, my WB Statesman is getting closer to the road now. Long story short I cannot find myself settling for something modern and anonymous, will stick to carburettors and chrome bumpers as long as possible. The wife's XR6T is brilliant and I'd class it as a future classic, and whilst it's fun to drive, it just doesn't tick the boxes in the same way
LOCO XP is offline   Reply With Quote