View Single Post
Old 30-09-2011, 12:04 PM   #41
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Default Re: Hospital cover, who has it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox

People often claim they would be in queer street without private cover when they need a hip replacement, or pretty much any kind of surgery that requires almost immediate attention.
What the same people forget to mention is the amount of money saved over the years (10's of years in most cases) can be used for an elective procedure.

$200 per month for private cover (somewhat conservative I might add) equals $2400 per annum. That already more than pays for a small procedure.
I'm not going to say you're wrong, because I completely agree, my only point about the hip replacement (and I'm only assuming that's where you got the example from), was that the waiting list would be not as long, which I could be very wrong about.
My point was simply that, this person needs this surgery now, so that they can work, leave the house etc, but it's not considered an emergency service so they have to wait 18 months. Which to me, is a flaw in the public system, not necessarily support for the private system. If that makes sense
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote