View Single Post
Old 27-06-2013, 11:13 PM   #65
Lardman

Default Re: Could Kevin Rudd/Kim Carr pursuade Ford to reverse shut down decision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasv8
considering Rudd has already canned the proposal to tighten laws for 457 visa workers...i highly doubt australian manufacturing will be on his help list.
This improves australian manufacturing by lowering hiring costs by increasing the competition pool in selected high demand fields.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPR1
I doubt it Rudd, Gillard and the whole Labor lot are a laughing stock I would be surprised if any Company would take them seriously. With their track record who knows how long Rudd will be around for.
Substantiate your claim with facts, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Actually it is the opposite, in the 90s the UK was building around 900,000 a year, but thanks to Goverment policy and government co investment they built 1.9 million last year. The UK auto industry is now booming thanks to smart Government policy. It's an example for Australia.
The UK are also a major player in the motorsports scene. McLaren, ProDrive, RBR, and a number of other big players are stationed out there. Aston Martin racing, Jaguar, so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz
Hopefully Kev means business. But perhaps instead of raising tariffs, local cars could get tax breaks, reducing their cost.
Lowering the Aussie dollar is probably on the list, as well as pushing local business and markets. I doubt ford will reverse their decision, but Labor will certainly push the necessity for local manufacturing if recent announcements are to be believed. There'll be a new policy platform coming out in the next few days, so, wait for those I would assume.

The Liberals have been known to support big businesses - at the top end. Cheaper labour costs, tax breaks, so on. But none of these policies work as well as a subsidy and government handout to keep local industry in practice. Case in point, Telsa motors in the US, as well as the great auto bailouts of 2008. UK auto market going through a current resurgence seeing very strong products from Aston, Jag and also the resurrection of TVR, in addition to Caterham products continuing to do well, and Lotus slowly clawing back market with the new Exige S.

Anyhow, political debate aside - it's possible, because the loss of jobs and a key local manufacturer will cause huge ripples around that sector. Parts, support, so on will mean more than just Ford jobs lost - I can see some form of bailout happening, but it will be a matter of waiting on the policies to be announced to draw a more educated conclusion.

.02c
2 users like this post: