View Single Post
Old 19-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #8
NCII40
XR6T BA 2002

Default Re: The Truth About Ignition Wire Conductors

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTe342 View Post
I have used the Magnecor leads on a couple of non stock engines without any problems.

One was a Clevo with over 12 : 1 compression ratio and and the leads with a high output MSD coil really woke it up and made starting so much easier.

If you can take your car to them and have the leads custom made they will put the correct boots on them to suit your headers (some 45 and some 90 degrees) as well as correct length so they sit neatly in the lead carriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTTLEDUP
Got your PM, but thought I'd wait until I was at the PC to read the thread properly and reply.

Ahh ignition leads, probably the most overhyped 'potential' performance upgrade getting around.

On my TE50 I've personally used the OEM, Magnecor 8mm & MSD 8.5mm Superconductors (currently), While not verified on a dyno I could not feel ANY difference in performance from any of these three. I only replaced the Magnecors simply because I didn't like the blue wire, and I was changing to MSD coils at the time.

As far as measured resistances are concerned (I have no way to confirm or refute Magnecor's claims above about the properties of current flow at extremely high voltages) each set I changed to the measured resistance decreased. The factory leads when removed were similar to yours IIRC ~4000-4500 OHMS, the Magnecor 8mm were 1800-2200, and the MSDs in the 190-250 OHM range.

My personal opinion from my limited electrical knowledge is that I will always go for the lowest resistance ignition wires I can. I see Ohms for what they are, resistance to electron flow, and provided there is not excessive EMI produced why wouldn't you run the lowest possible? I have not ever had any EMI issues with the MSD leads despite the warnings from Magnecor mentioned above.

It may be worth noting in the 15 odd years since that article was written by Magnecor the few remaining OEM ignition systems with leads are almost exclusively extremely low resistance wires.

I cannot fault the quality of the Magnecor product, and they did (and may still) offer a lifetime warranty on their 8mm lead sets which to me is always a nice bonus. I simply do not have the test equipment to validate or refute their claims as to how ignition leads 'work'.

IMHO if you want a good quality lead set, go Magnecor or ICE. If you have someone who will make you a set of MSD leads, in particular if you plan or will run MSD coils then I would also recommend them. For a OEM replacement set the NGK product is very good.

Brilliant responses thanks for that

Priced up msd coils and ice leads just over 550$ delivered

I actually tried to source msd leads but like you said need be custom made so i have to ring someone

I got genie extractors now so i gotta look out for the boots to make sure they fit
NCII40 is offline   Reply With Quote