Thread: Cyclists
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2006, 03:53 PM   #33
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
Just an an extra to my previous statement drivers might like to know some things that VicRoads are considering to trial.

These things are called "Copenhangen Lanes". What are these I hear you ask? They are a fixed bicycle lane from the road edge out approximately 2 metres into the road with a hard concrete barrier on the right hand edge. From there you will have car parking, and then car traffic lane and where appropriate, car traffic lane to be shared with trams. So obviously during peak out, the parking lane becomes extra traffic lane.

However what is the problem with this? People, including kids, that have NEVER had to look out of cyclists before (car left hand side passengers) now could be opening the door onto 30+km/h cyclists (I have reached 50.5km/h maximum on the way to work, and regularly hit 48km/h). This leaves cyclists with no-where to go with either into the parked car, or into the footpath and into pedistrians or potential cafe/restaurant goers.

To me these are a bad idea for competant cyclists that obey the road rules like myself. However it is a good idea for those 'Sunday' cyclists that just potter around at under 20km/h.

Oh and as a final comment on this, I would be happy to pay rego for cycling, however I figure as rego goes on the physical size/weight/capacity on the vehicle and if it is going to be pro-rata to be fair on the cyclist. Then the ~$600 a year for a 1600kg falcon in Victoria, my 12kg bike is going to cost about $4 a year in rego.
As a cyclist the Copenhagen Lanes look damn scary. Limited visibility, pedestrians to your left and right, nowhere to swerve to, difficulties at intersections. I think I would mix it with the traffic as I would be far safer.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote