View Single Post
Old 20-03-2015, 08:49 PM   #14
iancramb
Starter Motor

Default Re: 1975 Mark 1 2 Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
The pillars are available new as exterior skins. the frame behind is usually OK if just a bit pitted.
Removing the front guards is a bit of a trial but depending on how they are fixed on you might be lucky.
Get yourself a long spot weld drill of about 8mm wire wheel in grinder the paint away from the seams across the top and drill out the welds all bar one at this stage, then climb underneath and address the front seam spot welds which may be easier to cut away and replace with new metal due to their angle. the guard mat have a few spots along the rear edge against the pillar so invest in some time to remove the doors. a 8mm punch chisel and a die grinder is useful here. Some have had good luck with the pin removal tools some haven't.
Finally grind away the lower strip weld at the base of the rear lower 1/4, then finish off witht he last top weld.
However if yours has been replaced after an accident at some stage like one of mine its probably easier to cut it away. So decide to cut either the guard or the guard support. If the guard is a good one cut the support and replace later like this

JP
Thanks for that good info. will help me when i get there.
iancramb is offline   Reply With Quote