View Single Post
Old 10-06-2016, 07:05 AM   #113
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Default Re: Cav's Fabulous AUII Fairlane Sportsman

Why would anyone want to pinch the Ford head unit from an AU? They only last a couple of years before they won't give your CDs back.

So why in the hell did they decide to 'protect it' from being stolen by using a code?

The previous owner had the unit exchanged for an eye watering $500!!! I have the invoice. You would think that the code for the unit would be on the invoice, wouldn't you?

Bloody code.

I searched the glovebox and made a mental note of the fuses and NRMA breakdown number.

I searched the books, the owners manual and maintenance booklet.

I searched the invoices the owner kept. Three years ago she spent $1,000 on new plugs, new leads and fuel filter while getting the car serviced; so maybe I didn't really need to renew all that stuff I just renewed!

But no bloody code.

It gets worse. I tried '1234', it didn't work. I tried hitting the buttons and swearing - that didn't work either but it did achieve something - Mr ERR turned up!

I sent a message to the owner. Within minutes she text me the code. She did it from memory. How do we men compete with women's brains?

HOW DO YOU GET RID OF ERR?

The interweb is your friend. There's plenty of advice out there and it is all contradictory. So I did my own thing.

I removed the fuse. I didn't want to disconnect the battery and go through the computer rest procedure. I replaced the fuse.

ERR

So I removed the fuse again and went and had a rum (or two, but don't tell anyone).

ERR

Next was to put the keys in the ignition and turn them to ACC and at the same time turn the radio 'on.'

ERR

I went upstairs and watched Wheeler Dealers. I tape them from Foxtel. It was a repeat about a Fiat with a Dino engine in it. Forty minutes later I checked on the car.

CODE

Bewdy, I punched in the 4 digit code and voila! It works!

So to celebrate I ordered some Honky Tonk music from the US of A
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote
4 users like this post: