View Single Post
Old 10-10-2016, 10:49 AM   #700
5wheelguy

Default Re: Depression, Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmeAbbot View Post
Thanks for sharing.

I am starting to understand why my brother seems to want to kill me at family functions. He has been through a breakdown some years ago after losing his job and I thought he was back to normal. My light hearted jokes seem to be a trigger for him to want to end my life. It is easy for me to take offence and avoid him in future for the undeserved attack. However, reading the above threads made me realise that I have been insensitive to my brother and not been there for him during his tough times. Ultimately though only he can control those triggers. The family like to blame his wife. I am now starting to empathise with my sister in law. Living with an angry person must be very difficult.
I'd only joke around, once they're laughing too. Or - you're kinda asking for a knuckle sandwich.
The thing is, whenever I screw something up, there's my inner voice already teasing me. I DO NOT need more people, especially family or friends, to extend that teasing.

Just be supportive. Talk about the problem. Talk about the solutions. Then have fun. There's a time and place for everything (kinda).