View Single Post
Old 11-12-2016, 12:06 PM   #310
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default Re: Should drivers over 70 hand in their keys ?

Quote:
Elderly motorists face tough test to keep their licence to drive

EXCLUSIVE,
LIA HARRIS, The Sunday Telegraph
11 December, 2016

ELDERLY drivers will be put under the microscope as a powerful NSW parliamentary committee considers an overhaul of the laws allowing them to keep their licenses.

A NSW Parliamentary Committee for road safety has announced an inquiry into protocols surrounding driver training for all ages, including the current system for ensuring elderly drivers are fit to stay on our roads.

The Staysafe Committee, which announced the driver education, training and road safety review in a bid to help reduce the state’s growing road toll, will also investigate the need for more refresher training for all ages to keep drivers up to date with current vehicle technology.

It comes as new crash figures from the Centre for Road Safety show the age group with the largest number of fatalities on the state’s roads in the past year were people aged over 70 years old, with 64 killed.

Victims aged between 60 and 69 also accounted for 39 deaths since November last year.

The figure represents a large portion of the 370 people killed on NSW roads this year, up from 326 at the same time last year.

Committee chair Greg Aplin MP said the system allowing elderly drivers to be assessed by their local GP to determine their competency would be among the laws reviewed.

“We don’t want this to just be a focus on elderly drivers, but we want to have a look at the whole system,” Mr Aplin said.

“We’re talking about people returning to driving or ageing drivers who still want that independence and are still passing a medical, but who has the responsibility of assessing their licence?

“The role currently sits with a doctor and that's usual your own GP and you can imagine the relationship there that could be jeopardised.

“I’m sure there’s a bit of subjectivity from the GP, but let’s look at other ways where you relieve the GP of that difficult decision.”

The review comes as a 69-year-old woman is due to appear in the District Court tomorrow charged with causing death by dangerous driving after hitting a 78-year-old woman at a pedestrian crossing in Richmond in December last year.

North Bondi resident Gisela Bernet, 83, said she used her car “every day” and “couldn’t imagine” being without it.

“The adjustment would be enormous. A little job which would normally take me half an hour would mean I take public transport and half the day is gone,” Ms Bernet said.

“(But) if I could not be sure I could handle it, I wouldn’t drive. I wouldn’t take that risk for myself and other drivers.”

Mr Aplin said the committee would also investigate the introduction of increased training to equip city drivers with the skills to navigate country roads to help reduce the number of fatal accidents in regional areas

The committee is calling for submissions from organisations and individuals for the inquiry until February 20.

See link for poll and comments.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...aign=editorial
Express is offline   Reply With Quote