Thread: 72 Capri Brakes
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2006, 11:24 AM   #4
whooligan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri72
Hi guys
i'm new to this forum although i have been lurking for ages under my brothers username.

Ive been looking at buying this 1972 capri near me and when my dad took it for a test drive, he said the brakes were incredibly soft and you had to push them right in to get a response. I was just wondering your thoughts on what the problem could be? maybe just pads? i just dont want to get myself into a huge moneypit situation being on my P's.

cheers, Capri72
Buying a Capri in any sort of condition is a "huge moneypit situation."
The brakes sound pretty normal, but you might want to check the rear wheel cylinders for leaks. The Capri brakes are dead simple to work on and fix and parts are still readily available and cheap if you know where to look. If the car has been laid up for a while you will want to replace all of the rubber brake hoses as they dry-up and crack. Changing these can firm up the pedal no end. Also check the booster for air leaks. Change these hoses as well.
It may seem never ending, but owning a V6 Capri on your "P"s has to rate above the cost of getting the brakes sorted. No doubt your mates will be buying clapped out commodores which will be worth next to nothing within a few years. Look after that Capri and it will double in value within the same time.
If you need any help or advice, drop me a line at maxrnb70@hotmail.com
Cheers Glenn
whooligan is offline   Reply With Quote