View Single Post
Old 04-10-2017, 09:24 PM   #313
prydey
Rob

Default Re: The Camping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I don't usually like to brag, but....I told you so!
Yes you did. Its also one of the rare times the reality is actually better than the online pictures look. The sites were very generous in size and mostly reasonably screened from each other. I used to think, based on the online pics (thumbnails on booking site) that it wasn't really that suitable for tents, but while the ground is hard, its not 'rocky' and the sites are mostly level. Good pegs and mini sledge would be a must, but there were plenty of tents around.
It is mainly camper trailers and vans though.
Our site was #7 and when we go again we will stay in the same area. We felt for us, the sites facing the creek were the best ones. Sure, there is a bit of foot traffic due to being close to the facilities, but we parked our van parallel to the path so we were facing the creek and shielded from passers by.
Its our new favourite spot, although we haven't actually been to that many.

Quote:
Did you do any of the walks, I imagine it would have been pretty warm up there lately..
As mentioned earlier, did a day trip to Alligator Gorge and did 'the narrows' walk. absolutely fantastic, despite seeing a junior brown snake...

did the mambray ck walk that just follows the ck down toward the baroota hike and loops back. Also did the baroota ruins hike. We set off on the Hidden Gorge hike but that was too hot and we pulled the pin after about 3km and turned back.

I'll upload some pics when i get time but for now here is a link to my strava page which has the walks and some pics
baroota hike
https://www.strava.com/activities/1211573227
Alligator Gorge
https://www.strava.com/activities/1209588068

Quote:
Did you have beers with the ranger?
He has a farm just across the road from the entrance on the highway but his Wife loves it so much they spend most weekends in the park where he shares a coldie with the visitors.
If you want the best experience, aim for mid year holidays in future, its awesome.
Ranger (assuming its the same guy) sure was a friendly chap. Was good that they don't act like the police, although for some of the people there it may not have been a bad thing if they did.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: