View Single Post
Old 01-01-2020, 08:45 PM   #270
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 
Default Re: FORD technical service bulletin : ICC touch screen display

I looked at the FPV dials executable today, but it's really integrated into the latest firmware. I don't know why, it's a simple enough thing, but that's life.

I did think up some ideas though. I know there's 5 serial ports on the main CPU of which I'm almost certain only 4 are being used (1=master console, 2=bluetooth, 3=smaller board, 5=GPS). If "ser4" can be configured, and I can find the location on the main-board for it (Rx is only needed, for my idea) then a new micro-controller can talk to the screen.

I would need a connection to the high speed CAN-BUS of the car, the micro-controller could read out all the things I'm interested in and pass them to a new program on the main-board. I would model the program after the touch-screen calibration program, it outputs graphics and takes input from the touch-screen. It's only small too (I'd be hacking away all the existing code and adding in mine).

I'm not sure about how to go about getting touch-screen data (I can see the graphics library functions being used, but there doesn't seem to be any details about the touch-screen). So, I'm thinking, the program runs in the background via a start-up script (which I think I can do easily enough). A push button on the micro-controller tells the new program through the serial 4 port to "create a new screen" (this is how the NAV software works). The new screen takes over the display (like the NAV does) and would output graphics to show stuff. Then, press the bushbutton again and it all disapears - like switching off the NAV software.

I know the NAV software can be switched back and forth between the main screen with the bottom touch-buttons - but I don't think I'll be able to get that sort of integration.

Anyway, it's something to aim for.
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: