View Single Post
Old 06-01-2020, 03:01 PM   #284
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 
Default Re: FORD technical service bulletin : ICC touch screen display

It's a tough question to answer, and is why I have not tried. I've read a few of the upgrade scripts, I put the "scary" comment in one of my posts above. The thing is, the kernel (in the boot partition) has been changed between 2012 and 2014. I know this because I get better debugging output from the 2014 one - and I can see the core.ifs is a fair bit larger.

Now, you don't want to upgrade the kernel without the new packages. You don't want to upgrade the packages without the new kernel. The whole thing needs to be done together or you may brick the unit. The SWSA guy gets around "problems" by using the ramdisk to copy everything he knows he will need there - so it's available when he switches off the filesystem to rebuild it.

Another complication is, the debug port (serial 1, which I'm using) becomes unresponsive until something else outputs data on the terminal (like switching the accessories off and on - my hack for getting commands to run while in the car). So you don't want to be in a situation where nothing else is running because you've cleared the filesystem - and you no longer have the ability to get your commands to run!

If you were going to do this, you need to build a script, and test it thoroughly - meaning on a development board where you can recover. I don't have a dev board, and I'd really like to keep my 4 units working (the fixed unit will never go back in a car - but it's great to have a board to fool around with for new programs I may write).

So sure, it's possible to upgrade the firmware - the hardware has no differences that will stop you... Nerves of steel will be required though.

I'd be more inclined to just update the parts of packages I'm interested in like the sat-nav exe. I've hacked both, but I don't see any problem with bricking the unit by trying the new one (with all its zip files etc.) on the old unit. The deep-down stuff though (hmi, qnx libs & swsa libs) I would leave alone.
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote