Thread: Radio control
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2022, 02:28 PM   #106
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: Radio control

So my son contacted me yesterday saying he wanted to build a 1/10 drift car. So get a kit and put it together himself. Im all for that, my kid gets a great sense of achievement when he builds something himself.
So i said find the kit you want and ill give the ok if it looks good. So he did his reasearch and the kit looked good. However i didnt ok it, he had to do further reasearch on if replacement parts are available.
So the boy is 12, anyhow i agreed to transfer him some money if he gave a cost breakdown. He goes 1000. I laughed and said thats the 2jz 1000. He gets that joke. Any person you meet with a supra or is300 and says theyre going to modify it, when you ask how much power will it make they instantly say 1000.
So no, i didnt give him that amount.
Today he is super excited. He went down to the hobby shoppe today, didnt get the initial kit he was after but a better one in my view. I wasnt with him, but unless its really silly, i let him make his own decisions.
So the kit he was initially after was 2wd. I suggested 4wd.
He says he was like a kid in a candy store.
So he got himself a team magic 4wd drift car. I did the sneaky and looked up the shop he got it from, and they sell spares for it, so thats good.
Its a belt drive so he tells me if he wants to go rwd its as simple as removing the front belt.
He is a bit bummed because he had to make a slight compromise. It has an rx7 shell but he wants a 2018 mustang shell. He hasnt blown his budget so he can always get a mustang shell.
But hes happy because he didnt have anyone make the decisions for him, he was in charge of the budget (sort of, i gave him the money and he had to work within that) and he got what he decided was the best for his intended use.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: