Thread: Mowing ..
View Single Post
Old 16-01-2022, 10:17 PM   #1360
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
What is the optimum height to cut a Kikuyu Lawn?
I have seen it mentioned on earlier posts.
I have always cut mine high, as in the second highest setting.
It gives the lawn a spongy type feel I guess, but I thought that this was always best for blocking weeds and water retention.
I can see that with DFB FGXR6 you cut yours a lot lower.
I am just wondering about the pros and cons and if I should lower mine down over a period of cuts.
Kikuyu is a difficult beast.

On one hand, it is extremely resilient to drought and heavy foot traffic and also self repairs.

On the other, it is aggressive in it's growth rate, becomes weedy if not kept in line and yellows over the winter.

As a general guide, cutting lawns on a higher setting is beneficial for keeping weeds suppressed and slows the evaporation of soil moisture. The problem with Kikuyu is it's thick and aggressive growth rate makes pushing a mower over it difficult and works the engine harder. As a result, over time people tend to raise the deck to make cutting easier. The result is tall and spongy turf.

For me, I prefer to keep Kikuyu as short as I can. I also find my fortnightly customers like to see that their lawn has been mowed. As a result, I tend to cut lower.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: