View Single Post
Old 08-02-2023, 02:16 PM   #35
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default Re: Who is the best insurance for choice of repairer?

I've had two repairs carried out under insurance, both a while back when I was with Budget Direct. In both instances it was my choice of repairer, I was very happy with the repairs carried out and the approval process was very easy at my end.

First instance was with my BA XR8 when a lady pulled out in front of me at a t-intersection where our vision of each other was obscured by a car turning between us. I hit her straight on in the drivers door/b-pillar area. I'd never had a repair to that degree carried out before so asked around and found two places locally that were both highly recommended. I chose one of those. Budget Direct (my insurer) handled the repair at my end and dealt with the lady's insurer. Was a very smooth and easy transaction all round.

Second occasion was after I hit a hare on my way home from work one night (at fault). Given the previous experience with the repair shop, I just went straight to them. The repair shop dealt directly with BD and, again, the whole process was very smooth and easy from my end.

As for RACV, I had a bad experience with them, moved away from them (to BD) and will NEVER go back. I replaced the roller door on my property with a panel lift door due to it coming loose from the tracks in high winds. After I had it replaced, someone suggested I claim it on my house insurance. I called RACV, ran them past what was going on and they sent out an assessor. The assessor first claimed the (roller, now not there) door was not designed for the conditions. After explaining the houses either side of me had the same design door and had never had a problem, he then tried to blame lack of maintenance. After asking him if he remembered that I had already replaced the door and he responded in the affirmative, I asked him how he could come to that conclusion when there was nothing left of the old door or its tracks. He then told me he'd made up his mind and that was the end of the discussion.

I called RACV and spoke to the same lady I had lodged the claim with. After expressing my disappointment at the assessment process, she told me that the decision had been made and that the claim had been rejected. I asked to speak to a supervisor. She told me that was not possible. I again expressed my disappointment in the process. She told me that if I was unhappy, I should take my business elsewhere. Not less than 60 minutes later I called her back to cancel both my house and contents insurance, as well as the two cars I had a policy with them for. One of the worst customer service experiences I have had in my life.

They may be better today, but the sour taste in my mouth means I will NEVER go back to them.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote