View Single Post
Old 15-01-2024, 07:03 AM   #12
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Custom components

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Well, no when the tooling is something like $5000 USD, price per unit is $10 USD and the minimum order quantity is 1000x units, that's say $22,500 AUD to get the tooling made and the stock, then add shipping ex Taiwan/China. Its better if it comes from China because you're eligible for CHAFTA and the exemption on the import duties.

When you sell maybe 200 of them, because of not much demand for the product, so $22,500/200 - your cost ends up being $112.50 AUD/sump gasket on the ones you sell, excluding shipping costs (lets ignore) and you have 800x dead stock sump gaskets on the shelf you might move here and there.

Then we want to make money on the 200x sump gaskets at $112.50 to cover the cost of the 800x sitting on the shelf, so we mark it up by 50% - $168.75 AUD per rubber sump gasket.

Whats the cork sump gasket worth and would you pay $170 for a sump gasket on a Clevo?

OR do you spend $22,500 on something you know which will move?

Yeah there's Clevelands in other cars world-wide, but how do you market your new ubeaut rubber sump gasket to these customers, do we spend money on SEO campaigns?

I guess if you're happy for a slow burn, its a long payback period on your $22,500 up front spend if you price it per unit on the 1000 instead of the 200 you know you'll move.

I think the intention is he's gone for the billet stuff because he knows it moves and he's probably not spending 5 figures on stock and tooling costs like you would be if you're making gaskets and little bits and bobs like rear main seals and stuff.

Used to get the same thing all the time on throttle cables for T series AUs with the Wheezer,

Complain about $250 for me to make you 1x throttle cable, and I need to salvage the bracket near the throttle side of it.

Buy 30,000 of them and cover the $5000 USD tooling cost to make the bracket and I'll do em for $20 each.
Yeah,
We dabble in different areas, with different people.
Those prices are reasonable.
Have you built any 60s/70s/80s cars lately? Or ever? Do you own any?
I think youre missing my point.
But in short i couldnt care less, just, yeah, congrats on the pointless blingey crap, youre doing gods work here
You promote "custom" yet all you can do is use a cnc mill to cut out basic parts.
And when asked for anything its all too hard and expensive.
Good luck with your master cylinder covers, youll be the next Elon.