View Single Post
Old 28-01-2024, 11:08 PM   #9
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Questions for long term storage of my BA Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79 View Post
As an owner of a car that spent alot of its life not being driven, on average it did less than 2000km per year in the 4 years preceeding my purchase, I don't believe there is anything you can do to keep the car "sound" for long term storage.

All the bushes looked pristie upon inspection and purchase, but they all ripped apart within 6 months of ownership. It needed an injector reco and new FPR becasue the bad fuel in the rail ate the plastic fiters in the injectors, causing them to collape into the nozzle, and it also reacted with the diaphragm in the FPR. All things regular results in a B-series that wasn't regularly driven.

If your bushes have been replaced with a urethane alternative you're likely to avoid that issue though.

As you've found I wouldn't be lifting it off the ground. if the bushes are rubber this will accelerate the damage as they will constantly be in their stretched position.

If you can dump all the fuel and blow any fuel out of the rail, this might save the injectors and FPR... And definitely stop the fuel from turning to crap in the tank. Also dont forget, BA fuel rails are steel and are known to rust on the inside. Leaving the rail filled with non moving fuel could cause it to rust badly.

I'd also cover the exhaust and throttle body with some sort of dense wire... Or maybe plug it with stainless pot scourers. Stop anytihng getting into the engine. Cover the HVAC intake opening in the cowl with some sort of wire as well, stop rodents getting in. Some rat bait in the engine bay might be wise too, lest rodents turn your wiring looms into brunch and desert snacks.

Either way, when it gets back on the road you might have to prepare yourself for a reasonable hit to the wallet to get it back to a state that you remember. At least you've already factored in tires.
I should have said this car I was talking about is my current BF Ghia. B-series don't like sitting for long periods doing nothing.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote