View Single Post
Old 19-11-2020, 06:14 AM   #418
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: I want to quit smoking but i fail everytime

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit View Post
I hate smoking. I despise it. But I've been smoking for a couple decades.

In the past I was able to give it up for periods of time ranging from a couple months to a couple years, was fairly easy. But in the last month I've tried giving it a good go, and only lasted 2 days max. I've even tried cutting back and that last a day. I smoke 1/2 a 25g pouch per day. My mindset has changed and gone downhill I reckon since the previous attempts and its left me feeling almost suicidal because I've never let anything beat me, but I feel defeated for once.

The last few years I've gotten older, and happiness has gone, and basically I've tied in smoking with everything I do, to 'enhance' my life & bring some sort of joy....smoke with coffee, smoke while waiting for food to cook, smoke, after a good meal, smoke before, during & after any & every Hobbie or interest etc... Sounds stupid but it works for me. Giving up smoking currently feels like giving up life. Addiction is as bad as it gets
What many people don't realise, is that Nicotine is actually quite a powerful anti-depressant. So for many people, it literally does make them feel better, help with anxiety, etc.

I'm no expert, but I suspect that for many people the best approach is firstly to transfer their Nicotine dependency to alternative forms, such as gum or mints. Maintain that usage for as long as you need, until the thought of lighting a cigarette becomes completely foreign.
Also need to somehow replace the ritual of the ciggie, especially if you roll your own.

And seriously consider seeking medical help. There are antidepressants approved for treatment of smoking addiction.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote