View Single Post
Old 26-03-2020, 02:21 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: 2.8 diesel for 300 Series Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
Cant see why a V6 turbo petrol wouldn't work well in a Land Cruiser...
It does the job well in the F150/Expedition as 3.5 ecoboost.

Perhaps the bloke who was responsible for the ZD30 Patrol is helping design the 300 Series.
Toyota engine tech is rubbish. Always a generation or 2 behind. And the ecoboost works in the US cause gas is cheap, and americans largely hate diesel and choose between V8 or V6. The 3.5 ecoboost I drove in an F150 Platinum was bloody impressive though. Really grunty and sounded quite good too for a V6. But I have no idea how much fuel it would use on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke
i hoped that common rail diesel , exhaust gas return plus diesel particulate filter would fix this,
the 1hd-fte (i6) has none of this. maybe develop it.
You'd have to start from scratch. Zero point trying to adapt an old design. I think this is the reason they will most likely use the 2.8, as making a new diesel to replace the V8 would be too expensive. And spending money on new diesels is a woftam at this point.

And environmentally the combination of diesel and 8 cylinders isn't a good look from their perspective. Plus their diesel tech is crap. Just look how far behind their competitors they are in terms of power and torque.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: