View Single Post
Old 26-03-2020, 05:46 PM   #19
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2.8 diesel for 300 Series Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Toyota engine tech is rubbish. Always a generation or 2 behind. And the ecoboost works in the US cause gas is cheap, and americans largely hate diesel and choose between V8 or V6. The 3.5 ecoboost I drove in an F150 Platinum was bloody impressive though. Really grunty and sounded quite good too for a V6. But I have no idea how much fuel it would use on the road.

You'd have to start from scratch. Zero point trying to adapt an old design. I think this is the reason they will most likely use the 2.8, as making a new diesel to replace the V8 would be too expensive. And spending money on new diesels is a woftam at this point.

And environmentally the combination of diesel and 8 cylinders isn't a good look from their perspective. Plus their diesel tech is crap. Just look how far behind their competitors they are in terms of power and torque.
Fair call, if they scrap the 70 series they may not have a case to fit the new Cruiser with a diesel, as the majority of global sales are the V8 petrol (including the Lexus LX570).
Don't Toyota have some type of component sharing or development set up with BMW? Maybe they could recommission BMWs largely bulletproof M57 diesel from 2002 that has better figures than what the Japs can manage in 2020.

I had a look at the Lexus LS500 V6 turbo spec and they're pretty average, 300kw and 600nm, 10.6l/100km combined economy. Although it would probably provide better drivability than the 4.5 diesel or current 5.7 petrol.
When I was in the States I had an Ecoboost Expedition (older heavier one with the 6 speed), averaged 19.1mpg (12.3 l/100km) over two weeks and a lot of the driving was interstate 70-90mph. It may get into the 10s or under at a steady 65-70mph highway cruise.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: