View Single Post
Old 21-04-2021, 10:27 PM   #16
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Unmarked Police cars, Japanese style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
I went down the rabbit hole that is dashcams Australia over the Easter break, and saw an idiot overtake on solid lines get pulled over by an unmarked tradie-ute. Might have been in Vic??? Just your usual ****tly looking old white small tradie thing with tray back I think - very stealth. Think it was one of the 'Instant Karma' videos, at first I didn't even see who was pulling the guy over even though the dashcam was right behind the unmarked ute.

First proper unmarked I saw here in SA was around 1990 at Thebby barracks - unmarked white VN Exec with 5.0 and 5-spend manual, with red and blue lights on the passenger-side sunvisor plugged into cigarette lighter socket...you woldn't see the lights unless they folded down the visor, no rear-facing lights at all. Before that it was mostly detective cars etc that had just the old blue dome light with magnetic base that they would roll down the window and put on the roof when needed, whereas this was the first car dedicated to traffic duties that was intentionally unmarked.
There was a white vanilla plain jane looking Landcruiser on the SE Freeway couple weeks ago, I was driving between the point to points so taking it easy, and he was a little in front of me at the start of the first cameras but had pulled away some by the last one.

Once past the last camera i sped up a little and had gained on him just as he was about to turn off to go to Murray Bridge. I was doing a bit over 120 and he wouldve realised id gained on him.

He couldnt be arsed pulling me over it seems but he turned his lights on in the rear window and flashed at me.

I thought he was signalling to pull me over (even though I was behind him) but he kept driving and turned off to go to MB.

I reckon he'd have pinged me if it was a different situation, instead he just gave me a warning with the lights. Ive had highway patrol do that to me sometimes also when im around 120km/hr. I think, oh here we go, but they keep driving.

Im used to very clean (washed) looking cars of all kinds being undercover cops, but not too many Landcruisers. I have seen one before though in the suburbs pull over a modded rice burner.

I got pinged once doing 100 in a 60 zone on North East Road in the early 2000s by a plain VT... they didnt make a big deal of it... they were detectives but they had a bag in the boot with the expiation notice pad in there. I didnt notice that one that day, but can usually spot them. Quite often you can see the lights in the rear window for example.

And they are typically very well washed all the time, often cleaner in that way than most other cars on the road.
lumen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: