View Single Post
Old 19-02-2020, 02:49 PM   #37
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Shortage of truck drivers in Australia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
No, you've read it wrong, there is no written evidence of the ABS light because it was removed prior to the introduction of the legislation covering passenger transport vehicles, when I first started, discovered the problem and spoke to management and the mechanic about it, all we had to do was turn up, start the vehicle and drive off, there was no official reporting procedure.
Soon after the globe was removed and it passed inspection the new laws came in and we then had to tick off things like oil, p/s fluid, coolant, brake fluid, wipers and washers, brake lights, head and taillights, indicators, clearance lights, reverse lights, windscreen condition and tyre condition and pressures.
Up until the vehicle was taken off the road recently the 'warning light' box was ticked as compliant because there was no globe to give a warning.

Now you could argue that the inspection which it failed would point to there being a problem from that far back, but seeing as its passed twice since, no one at the inspection station is going to admit they failed to pick up the missing globe so they'll all say it was ok on both those occasions and has gone missing since, im not silly, I know how it works.
Interestingly the last two on the list, windscreen and tyres have been removed from the check list...after people started reporting issues, so now those cracks and questionable tyres no longer have a place to be reported...
Would those forms then stand up to scruitiny if something we're to happen, no way as tyre condition is mandatory, but im guessing they're not worried about the 'what if's' and focussing on the 'get out there and drive without costing us money'.

Jobs..lol, you don't live in SA do you...

Anyhow, that's enough for me on the topic, I didn't come in here to blow any whistles, I just came in to suggest that its the pressures to either put your **** on the line in suspect vehicles or deal with the fallout of highlighting the issues which is turning people away from the industry.
Righto, well I did use your example to explain how the CoR will clear you of any wrong doing and place the onus on the half **** mechanic who’d be before the courts if something major was to happen. I think in 2020 what happened back then as far as lack of rules and regulation or transport companies systematic failures go is irrelevant. So I think it’s safe to say we can leave it as that.
No I don’t live in SA. But we are looking for 2/1 FIFO MC drivers outa Adelaide up by the NT boarder if you are interested...
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: