View Single Post
Old 22-03-2020, 06:22 PM   #44
tbro4123

Default Re: Shortage of truck drivers in Australia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Ok, now I have a little more time I'll elaborate.
NHV laws we're introduced to passenger transport in SA on 1/10/18 I believe, so whilst it may have been around for a lot longer, it's only new to this section of the heavy vehicle industry.
I'll give you an example of how the system should work and why it doesn't.
I began driving passenger transport prior to the introduction of the legislation, I noted on my first day that the ABS light on the dash was illuminated and discussed it firstly with the person who had been driving it and then with our mechanic and was told it was a sensor and not to worry about it.
Fast forward a month and its due it's 12 monthly inspection which it fails due to the ABS problem.
The vehicle is returned to the depot at which time I'm grilled for not letting anyone know, I then explained that it had been illuminated since before I began driving it and called on the former driver who occurred.
When I arrived later that afternoon the mechanic came over with a big grin on his face saying he'd fixed the problem, I turned the ignition on and no light came on, now to average Joe it would appear that he did infact fix it, but being vehicle savvy I knew straight away that all he'd done is removed the globe as it should illuminate on ignition to prove it's working and extinguish once started.
I said this to him and he snarled and stormed off, the vehicle was Re- booked for inspection and passed...
A few weeks later I found myself in a situation where I needed to brake heavily in the wet, the rear end locked immediately and I slid whilst pumping the peddle for a good 50m luckily avoiding the obstacle, the ABS didn't work at all.
Soon after that the legislation was introduced and that vehicle has been getting around with faulty brakes whilst being signed off as compliant for approximately 18 months and has even been through a second inspection.

The industry is cut throat and whilst legislation is put in place with good intentions it can only work if the person on the bottom rung of the ladder, the driver, feels comfortable and secure enough in his job with support from those up the chain that any issues will be managed appropriately.

Now I understand why you defend it so strongly if you we're required to preach it to business, but from someone on the other end of the chain at the coal face it is a very different story and again, I doubt I'm a pioneer on the subject.
I'm going to ask one question, did you fill out a defect report and report it to operations, if not why not? Bus operators have been required to have defect books and pre start check list since the 90"s

Not trying to be a smart ****, but I run all the workshops for a multi-state bus group and its my job to among others to make sure that ANY and ALL defects are reported and recorded and that my workshop staff repair all defects that involve any safety issues before that vehicle can leave the depot. Doing it this way protects Clients (our passengers feral or not)the drivers and mechanics and the company from having faulty vehicles on the road leaving us liable.

Based in QLD our coaches,school buses and urbans all get inspected every 6 months by QLD Transport (over the pits) every 6 to 12 months we get a transport NHVR audit which includes paperwork, service intervals etc etc. Also having government contracts (Translink in QLD) also means more scrutiny from big brother.

Our MD has this idea that to run a successful company you need to worry about 3 things 1/ SAFETY 2/ Reliability 3/ Cost. I do my job properly and make sure the first 2 are covered the final one is assured.

Anyway I hope BENT 8 that your company has pulled their head out of their bums and are doing the right thing, and if you want a job in QLD give me a yell.

Stay safe

Terry aka Tbro
tbro4123 is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: