View Single Post
Old 29-03-2005, 08:52 PM   #24
sims_telstar

Default telstars??

Hi!!!
I was just browsing the net on a price to buy a timing belt and also i think it was called crank and drive seals (x3).. call me a dumb woman, i couldnt remember what my mechanic told me it was called...
But anyway.. Thought id share my history on owning telstars. I first had an 1983 telstar 4 door 5spd manual.. went well (only paid $1000) so ya get what you pay for i guess. Found that water would leak on both the rear floors though... which got a bit annoying!
Then July 2004 upgraded to a 1993 telstar. Same problem when it rains leaks water (somehow) onto the rear floors. Havent got that fixed yet, dont know where the problem lays with that. Was told possibly its coming up under the tyres from driving on wet roads??? Anyone have an opinion on this? But yeah... can see come winter in a few months it will get the better of me and ill have to get it done.
I added a tow bar to my current 1993 telstar (5spd manual 4 cyl) and towed a big furniture trailer from SA to VIC... put it in for a major service and tune last month, and only thing wrong was the cv joints/unis (which i read previously in another post that this is a problem with them) and also something about suspension.
Since the service and tune.. noticed it leaking oil. Took it back to mechanic today and he looked over it and found a seal split (pretty sure he said crank & 'something' thought it was drive seal) There are 3.. and one is split and leaking oil. Because thats leaking oil, he said i may need to replace the timing belt now too (but wont know until he pulls it apart???) I have currently 168,800kms on it. So he quoted me $85 to replace the whole 3 seals. Then another $290 to replace the timing belt???
If anyone could advise me on this?? Im a single parent on a pension.. looking for any cheap way out to fix it. Was looking at buying the 'items' and having a friend who does mechanics to put them in??
Ok, ive rambled on long enough ahahahaha.. hope someone gets back to me then...
Cya!!!