View Single Post
Old 18-04-2024, 10:36 PM   #52
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Default Re: Zephyrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Roberts View Post
Would never have thought of doing that. Mine must have been a Christmas-rush build, as after a few years it started to leak at the curved ports on the hockey stick mild steel pipe.

When it still leaked after pulling it off half-a-dozen times with the bolts holding the stick to the downpipe warped from the heat (at least their nuts were brass), and the bloody exhaust-heated inlet manifold and fuel pipe having to come off each time, and using absolute tubes of exhaust putty, in desperation I put a straight-through muffler on to reduce pressure, then finally a set of Sonic custom-made extractors and quieter muffler (I didn't want to spend money on a then-new hockey stick that could have the same issue). Waste of bloody time. Also fiddly to fit the aluminium spacer blocks to the curved head ports - more putty.

Had to bend the kickdown rod to clear the extractors, meaning that never worked right again. Took the car out down the length of Heathcote Rd and back - a distance of about 30 miles. Down on power and 57 mpg! So it was running hit-you-over-the-head lean + no heated inlet manifold. Rejetted the Zenith, but it never ran the way I liked.

Got a job in the city and left the Zephyr parked at my place and only drove it weekends. The extractors rotted after two years! (out of warranty, natch). Traded it on the XK with a proper cast exhaust manifold (which cracked years later, but was able to get it welded and fit it without taking the inlet manifold off as it was cast into the head, lol).
Hello John, just to make sure you know, you are quoting a members post from 15 years ago, and that member hasn't logged on to the forums for about a year and a half. Just advising in case you were seeking conversation with them, which might not be forthcoming.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote