View Single Post
Old 08-07-2014, 10:54 PM   #144
raband

Default Re: Ford Falcon BA-FG Coilovers

Had a set installed at Pitlane today and thought I'd share my first impressions.

Would first like to thank Brett for both his product, and also for his knowledge and customer support/feedback. Not only did he hand deliver the kit to Mick last week (who also has my thanks for his unending support and help) but also visited them again this morning prior to my installation to ensure it all went smoothly. (he probably left knowing his product was already in great hands, but glad he made the visit )

(I've copied this post from the other forum I frequent - I figure Brett and Shockworks are a bit more visible here)

Well.... Just back from a cruise down the Peninsula - This setup should come stock - or at least as a factory option on our cars.

It took the roads out the back of Dromana, Red Hill, Balnarring etc as if they were freshly laid, not potholed, lumpy bits or tar.

I swear - they have also straightened and smoothed out the corners up Arthurs Seat since I was there last - the car now just steers through them and stays flat the whole way.

The extra grip coming out of corners I've now got isn't small either - couple of roundabouts that used to give my tail a decent kick out are now just taken smoothly with the same power down.

Ride isn't any less comfortable than stock - just a little different. Found myself flinching/clenching like I usually do when going over the usual railway tracks but they may as well have not been there. You still feel the bumps, but the car doesn’t.

Haven't played with the dampening at all yet – still on the soft settings setup/recommended by Brett – even on soft – wow – light and day difference in the handling from stock.

Gone is the wallow.
Steering - it no longer feels as if the rear is trailing the front with a bit of lag - feels as if the gap between the front and rear wheels has been shortened
Braking into a corner - so much more balanced - so much less weight transfer. Like the railway crossings - I'd be prepared/waiting for the cars usual behavior - it didn't do it, just stayed flat and composed. the dropping of the front/loading on the inner tyre wasn't there.

Note - I wasn't driving at 10/10ths, just having a bit of a spurt over different conditions - getting a feel of the differences the new coilovers have made. Call it 6 or 7/10ths, but with the old shocks/springs it a few of the corners would have felt more like a high 8/10ths ;)

Am so glad to have found this product at the right time - I was probably 60% headed towards getting a "best bang for the buck" set of shocks for the car, 20% headed towards higher level shocks/spring setup and 20% towards a set of coilovers (probably Tein). I stumbled across some reviews and posts of Brett's a few weeks ago that probably sent me thinking 60% shocks only, 40% Shockworks Coilovers. A quick chat with Mick a few weeks ago (and him suggesting Shockworks) flipped it to 60/40 in favour of Bretts product. Speaking to Brett sealed it at 100% last thursday. Today they are on the car and I'm a very happy customer
raband is offline   Reply With Quote
6 users like this post: