View Single Post
Old 27-05-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Do P plater HiPo band work?

In my short time on the road (~6 years) the majority of people I see doing grossly stupid things are P-Platers in 6cyl Commodores (VC through to VE) or 70's 'fully sick drift pigs'.

My usual gripe with this stuff:
- I was one of the first on the P-Plate laws (Red 1 year, Green 2 years) here in QLD and I know first hand they do bugger all to 'stop' people doing silly things.
- My AU Falcon had more power than the VK 308 I wanted (don't hate ) but I wasn't allowed to drive the latter
- Unfairly targeted although my car was maintained to a standard far higher than most of the Camrys you'd find in a shopping centre carpark. I also obeyed far more road rules than aforementioned drivers.

Do I think they work? To an extent. If I had my F6 at 17 I think it would have been trouble. Not because I drove like an idiot but because I've been caught off guard a number of times when driving e.g. corners, braking, oil on the road which would probably have ended up far worse as I didn't know how to handle the car or myself in those situtations.

Almost every person I've talked to young and old have either said "When I see P-Plates I think 'oh great here's a hero'" or "I speed up to see if the chick is hot". This perception within the community has done nothing but put a label on young drivers, a label that, thanks to numerous 'news' (I am loathed to call them news) programs have now closely associated with another **** and bull term... HOON.

Where does it end? Do they deter people? Do they stop people? Is it a vote grab? Will babies be kissed at the next election? Would they ever lie with statistics?

Power to weight ratio is a step in the right direction but for me until they step up and roll out a comprehensive education program through schools I'll put it down to a vote grab.

Stopping kids killing themselves while driving is a good thing, no arguments, when the law makers actually start to take their own BS seriously I'll start to change my mind on the subject.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: