View Single Post
Old 06-05-2020, 09:54 PM   #374
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 
Default Re: FORD technical service bulletin : ICC touch screen display

I have not seen OpenAuto yet (I don't have a compatible Android phone) but this is CrankShaft, a free interface that loads OpenAuto when a phone is connected to a Raspberry Pi. Here, I've managed to put the device into X11 graphics mode, which required a workaround/download, and loaded a VNC server on my Raspberry Pi. I'm connected through WiFi and am displaying a remote desktop of the interface:

The plan is, to hide the Raspberry Pi in the centre console storage, without a screen. So I've configured it for 800x480 (oh, isn't that exactly what the FG2 ICC's resolution is?) so it should always power up in that mode. The audio is also set for the 3.5mm audio jack (not HDMI audio) so that should plug straight into the console's aux input port which happens to be in the same storage compartment on FG2s:

This is the powered up Pi unit:

This is an ESP32 "Internet of Things" (IoT) hobby board. It has two serial ports, one I intend to interface with the existing ICC-FDIM-GPS module, the other to serial port 5 of the QNX motherboard (the old GPS port). Apparently that's good for 1.875Mb/s according to the doco, which is like a slow network. The hobby board also has WiFi (IoT!) so I should be able to get it to connect to a VNC remote desktop server (I wonder where this is going?)...

I've worked out how to put the FDIM screen into diags mode, which gives you full access to graphics and touch events without worrying about the existing car's human-machine-interface (HMI) - the themes of the car. I can add a new "phone" button on that old interface to start up a new one which remotes into the Pi. Not sure how (the phone's) Sat-Nav will go though, that's going to be the most intensive graphics-update software I can think of, and I'll only be using a slow connection, but maybe I can tune it for 16bit graphics and get it acceptable?

I looked at compiling the OpenAuto app directly for QNX, but even if I ignore the hurdles of effort, the final binaries already consume more memory than is available on a non-Sat-Nav FDIM. It's just not going to work that way.

I'm also probably going to drop this project if I hit any other hurdle!

OpenAuto is no longer "Open" even though it's now called "OpenAuto pro" - it also requires a Pi4. CrankShaft is no longer being maintained. So if it doesn't all "just work" then that's it!

FDIM->Ser5->WiFi~~~~~>Pi->CrankShaft->OpenAuto
......................^->GPS

Last edited by JasonACT; 06-05-2020 at 10:16 PM. Reason: spelling
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: