View Single Post
Old 28-05-2020, 12:46 AM   #379
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 
Default Re: FORD technical service bulletin : ICC touch screen display

So, I went in a slightly different direction, using a different ESP WiFi device (ESP8266-01 instead of an ESP32 - so photos of that device were removed...)

Yep, remote desktop software works on these FG MKII touch screens. I've got an invisible button in the top-right corner that connects and disconnects remote desktop software from a computer with WiFi running in the car now!

Sad news, the QNX 6.4.1 operating system has "quirks". You can follow the rules set out in the manuals, but things don't always work as they should (or are described). The important thing I've worked around here is the wait for data routines. I.E. You ask to wait, and call a want-to-wait routine, and expect to wake - except if the wake "signal" (a Unix thing) happens between asking to wait but before you call the final "I'm now waiting" routine... It never wakes. It's like a "race condition" in computer terms, but I'd prefer a race condition being part of my daily drive!

Sadly, the SD card driver I wrote (and posted above, and a newer one supplied to someone who contacted me offline) also suffers from this problem. It's taken me a couple of months to track down some odd things that happen (it looks random, one happened in a week, one happened 29 days later)... but I've re-written a whole lot of these wait routines about 2-3 weeks ago, now knowing the issue, and it finally seems totally solid now (extra debug output on every sleep/wake event helped).

I think all of this can now work! (It's not fast, but even navigation from a remote computer [a raspberry pi!] should work OK.)

These are the things I've accomplished - and a small list of what I have left "to do" --->

Add white LED reverse lights so reversing at night is easier
Add white LED rear number plate lights (why doesn't anyone sit on my..)
Add white LED fog lights + a DRL mod (turns off with headlights on)
Add a MACE air intake with pod filter
Basic tune for 15% more kW and 20% more torque
Installed indicator side mirrors with colour coded scalps
Swap to a high-end audio/radio unit
Add a premium Sub + Amp (Sub in factory pos, Amp under passenger seat)
Attenuate pre-amp speaker signals to eliminate 80% of the FG's hiss
Swap to a Sat-Nav ICC/FDIM (using a 3rd party Sat-Nav aerial, damn you wrecker!)
Swap over to silver ICC buttons on my piano black ICC
Swap over to silver steering wheel buttons
Create a paddle shifter mod (hidden + explicit paddle mods)
Hacking into the ICC operating system for root access
Hacking the media player (plays ~10,000 songs in random [x10 more than std])
Cracking the Sat-Nav software (for addding 2019+ maps)
Create custom ICC gauges + gforce meter (always displayed)
Enable Ford/FPV gauges (+touch control for Trans/Batt level switch)
Add an SD card slot for the ICC to expand storage space
Upgrading my old spare mid-level ICC/FDIM to high-end / Sat-Nav (connect a ublox chip)
Add a blue-stitched leather centre console lid
Add a blue-stitched leather gear shifter cover
Add a blue-stitched leather handbrake cover
Add a blue-stitched leather handbrake handle
Swapping blue-stitched leather passenger seat base to renew my driver's seat
Replaced my worn factory original blue-stitched XR drivers mat for a new one
Add a dash mat (specifically for the FG2's larger dash shape)
Replaced my scratched glovebox lid with a new one (now need a new tyre pressure sticker)
Swap the Ford transmission heat exchanger with a PWR model
Decoded/documented the memory mirror comms data wire for future mods
Buy and install the boot lid liner.

Create a VNC client for the FG2 ICC/FDIM + add WiFi networking
Install my Raspberry Pi 3B (with CrankShaft) with a VNC server running
TODO: Buy an Android phone that is compatible with Android Auto! (I'm a bit old school!)

TODO: Remove the exhaust restrictor ring, I'm still annoyed the mechanic wouldn't do it!
TODO: Add driver's side servo for dual zone climate (Forscan'ing my HIM)
TODO: Swap in my memory mirrors with 4 or so neat memory buttons
TODO: Buy a good XR6 limited edition 19" "grey" full size spare wheel
TODO: Buy the full-size spare wheel mounting screw/mechanism
TODO: Buy & install the full-size spare wheel rubber boot mat

So few things, I think I'll enjoy my break while I'm on leave! Thanks guys!

Last edited by JasonACT; 28-05-2020 at 01:14 AM. Reason: + boot lid liner, which I forgot about.
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote
5 users like this post: