View Single Post
Old 03-04-2020, 02:07 PM   #327
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Default Re: AUII Fairlane Sportsman - BIG AL

Memory is faulty.

Seeing as the old girl has breasted 200,000kms, I thought now would be a good time to do a recap on how things have gone.

I checked the file.

BTW, PG2 was right (yeah pretty rare I know) I used Postimage for this image and I hit the bit where it says do not resize and it seems it is much more betterer. Certainly no barbed wires lines running all over the pic.

I bought the car on 3 May 2016 with 177,636 kms for $5,500

From memory I would have said 2015 @ 150,000kms

In reality I have owned the car for 4 years and I have covered roughly 23,000 kms.

Youse wanna know what it has cost me since?

From memory it has been rather cheap to run with no real problems - the reality is something quite different:

Fuel $5,175 (23,000kms at 15l/100kms at a cost of $1.50 a litre)
Servicing $1,686
Tyres $1057
Rego $1,878 (rego was free in NSW, then I moved to Qld )
Stereo $720

Total running costs $10,516

Or looking at it another way: $2,600 a year or $0.45 per kilometre

So what about future liabilities?

The car is mechanically sound with up to date service and good tyres.
There is no rust.
The carport shows a few minor oil drops coming from the front of the motor and from the rear as well.
Service is due in Sep $250
Rego is due in Nov $939

The car had a full transmission flush in 2016 and I will probably get a transmission service soon $200?

A/C was also serviced in 2016 and it is really cold, so I won't bother with a service yet.

Cost benefit analysis....

I love this car and it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

Fordomatic has driven it and he lusts after it but I won't sell it to him, but I'd swap his XR6 for it.

It serves as a backup car to the Territory which is about to go for smash repairs for a couple of weeks.

Lemme tell you about the stereo.

The Fairlane has 9 speakers. I replaced the headunit with a Sony

I also replaced the front speakers - the tweeters in the A pillars and the 6" speakers in the front. The rear door speakers and the rear parcel shelf speakers plus the sub originals were retained. I also had the cable inserted so that the steering wheel audio controls work.

Even clips taken off Youtube and converted to MP3 and played on a USB can sound really great with that bass boost.

The sound is sensational, even on non-country music tunes.

My wife also likes driving the car so I have a devil of a time keeping her out of it.

I keep reminding her that her car is the Ford Territory.

It makes no sense to sell the car for the current market value of about $3,000 and get into a smaller more fuel-efficient car. And besides, Scomo's $750 stimulus package to pensioners doesn't go very far.

This is how the car looked when I bought it, pic taken in Chew-Mit

And now in Yap-Hoon

All overs over $7,500 will be considered.

Did I tell youse that this car is a chick magnet?
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote
12 users like this post: