View Single Post
Old 12-02-2007, 10:59 PM   #192
4litre6
Starter Motor

Default Mono to colour conversion.

Hi Fadi,
A couple of questions and an idea I wanted to bounce off you.

I have an electronics background so we can get technical if need be. I have never actually looked at an ICC out of a vehicle so I'm taking some guesses at the setup. Is a mono to colour conversion simply a case of replacing the LCD with a colour TFT unit? i.e, is the video generated in the same module, in colour?
Next, I find it interesting that the units are NTSC (I guess the PAL market isn't as big as the North American driven NTSC market). Also interesting is the way everyone is always wanting to add on video sources which is requiring an NTSC source and RGB converter (educated guesses here). Would it be possible in your opinion to replace the LCD with a more generic unit that handles PAL and NTSC?
Maybe even throw in a touchscreen too for good measure. Would this be mechanically viable first? Then I could just provide an interface from the video module of the ICC to make the controls visible. This would be a great setup for a car PC or 3rd party navigation system.
Let me know your thoughts. You obviously have a vast amount of experience with these units.
Failing that I think I will get a 2nd hand unit soon and have a poke around.
What do you charge for a mono to colour TFT LCD change?
Cheers,
Jim
4litre6 is offline   Reply With Quote