View Single Post
Old 18-03-2020, 09:06 PM   #359
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 
Default Re: FORD technical service bulletin : ICC touch screen display

Yeah, it's like a big tease, isn't it. I don't mean it to be that way, but it is Ford (and Sumitomo's) fault it's so difficult with these units. I did try and enable the FPV Gauges in my car before I started working out the values I'd need to plug in to make everything work. Only 1 gauge works "out of the box" which is Voltage. All the other ones go to max when the ignition is on, or zero when it's off. G-Force does nothing.. but that's to be expected on a standard car.

Having seen what's happening, I knew I'd have to stop the real "fpv_gauges" program from running (otherwise it would interfere with my attempts). I quickly worked out the values needed (I had already gathered the ports from the fpv_gauges program - and now the gauges are displaying, it was easy to just plug in values until I understood them).

I say quickly, but I think I was having too much fun - I looked at the clock and it was 7pm! That's quite a few hours.

But the new software (after some testing on the bench) is now loaded in my car:

So, when the FPV Gauges are displaying, my little ones are disabled. Mine can be hidden too so they can be set to never display (I did that when I got touch events working). I think a real FPV only shows one of the two screens - as I couldn't work out how to flip that port's bit any other way... But, since I have touch screen events - I've coded it to toggle when I press the TRANS/VOLTAGE gauge. So I think that's better than a real FPV.

I took it for a quick spin around the block, boost and gforce is working the same as they do in my gauges - except very nice big numbers show now.

For the record, I think the FPV cluster (which shows some of these gauges too) is what's used to get the required messages from the high-speed CAN BUS to the mid-speed one. So without that, there's no chance to get this working without building something like the little microcontroller I've described here. So no software only solution, sorry.

Last edited by JasonACT; 18-03-2020 at 09:25 PM.
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote
6 users like this post: