View Single Post
Old 23-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #19
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 
Default Re: Clogged fuel pressure regulator (with pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Ah, i get what your saying now! All i can say is AFI has obviously seen some bad examples as to release a service bulletin, would long term users of e10 for example suffer from fuel rail rusting eventually?
E10 is certainly known for being corrosive, so perhaps so.
Quote:
In the OP, Fanboi found debris in his fpr & it was blocked enough to affect his fuel trims -in his 3rd post - "Given how much crap was in the regulator".
Considering the tiny surface area of the FPR filter, and the unknown amount of k's (we can safely assume over 100,000k's for most AU's though), I think it's an insignificant amount if it were in the tank.
If you've ever drained a petrol tank you'll know what I mean.

I'd go as far to say that over time the rust debris will break down enough to go through the tank filter, through the pump, and end up in the replaceable paper filter.
Some will likely even get through that and combusted through the engine, with IMO no harm whatsoever.
Quote:
Imo it comes down to how meticulous the owner of a Au is with what fuel they use, where they get it & how often they service their AU's fuel system, its a serious troubleshooting consideration depending on the owner/ previous owner.
You're dead right if the filter is in place, however that's why I'm questioning the validity of the filter in the first place.

I guess my question is, will these cars run better for longer without the filter at all.
This user likes this post: