Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 03-10-2005, 07:02 PM   #1
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Default Aust made turbo kits for your Foci

For those that don't get the N I Z P R O newsletter

" Three weeks ago we started our next Ford turbo project. A new Ford Focus Zetec was purchased so we can start making an affordable turbo kit for them. With sky rocketing fuel prices and the fact that the Focus is marketed world wide, we believe there will be high demand for a sporty Turbo small car.

We will be using Nizedit for all the tuning parameters. Although SCT has never used their Flash box on this model, in only a few days we were already able to talk to the PCM.

We will be using a Garrett roller bearing turbocharger with our own newly designed cast exhaust headers and will be suppling the boosted air via a large air-to-air intercooler again with cast alloy tanks. Hi flow fuel injectors and remapping will see power levels around 170 engine kilowatts.

All this in a 1280 kg vehicle will give great performance and we hope to supply and fit these kits for under $8000.00 which will be great value.

We will keep you all up to date with progress.
"

Something on the horizon for you guys

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 09:16 PM   #2
whippet_zetec
Supes

something to wait and see how it looks/goes, although the cost could be a inhibitor
Old 03-10-2005, 10:25 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

should be awesome!

hmm..focus sedan, bodykit, lowered, rims and turbo kit would be very very nice!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2005, 08:45 PM   #4
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Ten bucks says it's new model too. Bugger. But GREAT for the Focus!!!
Old 21-04-2006, 09:50 PM   #5
BlackLS

Any word from a Nizpro/a regular customer of theirs about this?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2006, 10:13 PM   #6
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Sounds great! But 8000 bucks.. :S Thats alittle too dear for my tastes.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2006, 11:53 PM   #7
Ford Grunt
Turbo induced crazyness

mmm, can't see their being too big a market for this (for new car buyers anyway), when you could save your money and spend it on getting an XR5T.

Good news none the less.

Cheers,
Ford Grunt.
www.fordxr5turbo.com
Ford Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2006, 10:29 AM   #8
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds good, might have to take out a bit more of a loan soon..... im mean sure i COULD get an xr5, but by the sounds of it everyone is going to have one, but not everyone is going to have a turbo zetec!
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2006, 11:03 AM   #9
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

The problem is, in five years the XR5T will be worth more than a Focus Zetec with a turbo, comparitively to the amount spent on each. A supercharger kit with water injection from CAPA is a better cost effective alternative for those who don't want to spend 8 grand on forced induction.

Everyone knows money you spend on modifying you won't really see again when it comes to selling the car, but the XR5T will have a cult following which will help it's value.

Just a note, I did a comparison of the XR5T to the current Falcon compared to the old TX3 Laser versus the Falcon of its time.

The TX3 Laser Turbo AWD cost the same as the Falcon S pack (same as the XR6 equivelant in those days, the XR6 wasn't born yet), but when you look at the resale of the vehicles now, the average Laser TX3 Turbo AWD still attracts 5 grand (roughly), while the S pack Falcon can be had for loose change. The XR5T can be had for the same price as a base XR6, but I predict in ten to fifteen years time, the XR5T will be worth five times as much.

I did this comparison when people commented that a Focus in the Falcon XR price range wouldn't sell, but I think it will hold it's value very well. It only lacks AWD.

Another note, the Telstar TX5 cost the same as a Fairmont in that year.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2006, 11:49 AM   #10
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Falcons don't hold their value fullstop! :hihi:

I bought a 1990 KF Laser TX3 4WD turbo brand new (the 1.8 litre 117kW version) - it was $25500 plus on road costs. Even 5 yrs later / 75000km with plenty of mods I got $21000 for it. It was dynoed at 124kW at the front wheels (4WD disabled) which was more than 185kW HSV Commodores were getting on the same dyno! Had it up to an indicated 235km/h and still accelerating- I backed off because it was going past the redline in fifth..... Without a doubt the best car I've ever owned.
Old 22-04-2006, 02:55 PM   #11
FRA
Mr Focus

It would work out cheaper to get a CL or LX Duratec and fit a Turbo and all the mods then to buy a XR5T.
Every few Duratec owners will get a Turbo kit but it's good to see a performance shop here in Australia making a turbo kit.
$8000 is a little bit dear
If you don't want any hassles with after market parts but want a stock turbo then go for the XR5T.
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Oz racing: WRC OBX: 4-2-1 race header
SCT: xcal3, dash scan.
FRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2006, 03:14 PM   #12
BlackLS

WHat I'm really interested in is the flash tuning....
Old 22-04-2006, 08:02 PM   #13
Mil
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
WHat I'm really interested in is the flash tuning....

Flash Tunning? (sorry not up to speed with modding cars)
Mil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2006, 08:37 PM   #14
amlohac

This isnt anything new guys. There is a company in melbourne (cant recal their name name at the moment but when i find out ill post it) that have already made a turboed Zetec. 4psi of boost no turbo lag whatsoever, which is bloody unreal. Thier kit is supplied, fitted, tunned, tested all for under $7500. Thier black zetec was featured in motor or wheels mag about a year ago, im sure one of you guys know what im talking about?
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2006, 08:44 PM   #15
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

amlohac, is that Zetec you're refering to a LR Focus? I think the turbo refered to in this thread is for the LS Focus.

AFAIK, there are heaps of turbo kits for the LR but non so far for the LS.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
Old 23-04-2006, 12:47 AM   #16
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

4 psi isnt even worth the trouble....
Old 23-04-2006, 02:28 PM   #17
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You'd probably be surprised what 4 PSI would do if the compression ratio is left standard. Don't forget proper high boost turbo kits usually involve reducing the compression ratio to allow more boost to be safely run.

As for it being cheaper than an XR5, don't forget to factor in insurance costs- never cheap when you fit an aftermarket turbo (sometimes it's hard even finding a place that will insure you.) Reliability will never be as good as the factory XR5 either, the gearbox, driveshafts etc aren't designed for the extra power. Then you've got all the other extras the XR5 comes with standard....
Old 23-04-2006, 05:30 PM   #18
amlohac

4psi on the LR still threw out stupid ammounts of extra power for the low ammount of boost, it was a good indication of how much more power could be squeezed out.

If i had the choice of fitting a turbo or having the xr5t id take the xr5 anyday.
Old 23-04-2006, 07:40 PM   #19
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I would take the XR5 as well. Unless I wanted a sleeper... then I'd take the LX and mod the crap out of it and make it look as stock as possible.

Old 23-04-2006, 09:09 PM   #20
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlohac
This isnt anything new guys. There is a company in melbourne (cant recal their name name at the moment but when i find out ill post it) that have already made a turboed Zetec. 4psi of boost no turbo lag whatsoever, which is bloody unreal. Thier kit is supplied, fitted, tunned, tested all for under $7500. Thier black zetec was featured in motor or wheels mag about a year ago, im sure one of you guys know what im talking about?
very keen to find out more info about this one. a low boost setup would suit me down to the ground - dont need insane power, but some more would be nice.
Old 23-04-2006, 10:44 PM   #21
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm just saying i would turbo mine before buyign an xr5 because i've already bought mine lol
Old 24-04-2006, 01:59 AM   #22
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mil
Flash Tunning? (sorry not up to speed with modding cars)
Flash tuning involves being able to custom-write/modify engine management software and upload (flash using a tool that plugs into the car) it to the cars stock ECU.

It is considerably cheaper than getting a aftermarket ECU and you have at least 98% of the control a aftermarket ECU gives.

It is also great because you can have multiple flashes avaliable on the tool so you can have a high octane fuel flash, a stock flash and a valet flash. It also means you don't have to hack up the wiring loom, looks standard, can return the car to stock state.
Old 24-04-2006, 09:43 AM   #23
Mil
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Flash tuning involves being able to custom-write/modify engine management software and upload (flash using a tool that plugs into the car) it to the cars stock ECU.
Thanks for that, so have you found anyone doing this yet?

If so any price range available?

Mil.
Mil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 11:50 AM   #24
BlackLS

Currently the flash tuners are doing this to mainly BA Falcons. They've started doing it to AUs as well. Price for the flasher with preset tunes is around $990. For a custom tune to suit your car, probably around $1500 for dyno tuning.

Thing is many car performance shops aren't too interested in doing a car that may have a small performance enthusiast following, that is until the XR5 turbo becomes mainstream.
Old 24-04-2006, 11:55 AM   #25
BlackLS

Just got off the phone with NIZPRO, they've got the ability to do a custom flash tune your Focus right now, whether your doing NA, Turbo or supercharging.
Old 24-04-2006, 02:10 PM   #26
zetec2.0
Starter Motor

This is the link to the ASE turbo kit. Not nuch info, you may have to contact them.

I tried to get just the turbo maifold as I have the rest of the stuff needed and they wanted $1200 for it.

http://www.aseturbo.com/
zetec2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 05:27 PM   #27
amlohac

Thats the one i was talkin about! Damn my crappy memory. Its a very interesting read if you can find the article too. I remember the total price of the turbo conversion being near the $8000 mark, but that included absoloutly everything.