Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-03-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Popping the question......

I'm about to ask my missus of 4 years to marry me....

I know what she wants for a ring, but I was wondering what you guys did to pop the question? Any idea's for me?

Cheers.

ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 07:29 PM   #2
5tumpy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I proposed to my wife in a VERY expensive hotel room, on the balcony, overlooking the Harbour Bridge in Sydney...
5tumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Good luck with it ZA289, it will be a day you always remember no matter how you do it.

I posted this a few years ago but anyway, this was my experience.

I wanted to surprise my wife, it was while on a ride day at Phillip Island, i had just come in for lunch, i took her for a walk up the pits to see the podium mighty Mick Doohan had recently stood on, got down on one knee, opened the pocket in my leathers, and produced the $6500.00 sparkler in front of around 80 bikers.
I started cutting some decent laps after lunch, was too nervous before that.
Now whenever watching the awards at a Phillip Island motor sport event, i look at the podium and think, i was a winner standing there once. e
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 07:40 PM   #4
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i just asked her one day, and she said ok.

then again that was 7 years ago and we still haven't tied the knot, maybe i should ask again ?
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 07:41 PM   #5
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I cant remember not game to ask
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 07:44 PM   #6
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

I rolled over and asked her in bed.........
Old 07-03-2008, 07:48 PM   #7
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

We went out for tea then i drove to a historic location in Geelong that i knew would be there for many years to come. I did this so we could visit that place anytime we wanted to and especially on our anniversary. We have now been together for 13 years and happily married for seven of those. We were engaged for 6 years also. All the best ZA-289.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:08 PM   #8
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Mate, best of luck with it. It will be a day you will remember for the rest of your life!

I asked my missus last year. We went on a holiday to Melbourne, and stayed at the Windsor (Really flash place!). I hired a limo to take us on a tour of melbourne, then went out for dinner at a flash restaurant. Popped the question after the main course, she was laughing and crying and shaking over dessert! The limo picked us up afterwards and took us back to the hotel. It sounds a bit cliche, but it was sooo good! And she was completely suprised.

Oh, and enjoy the night : : : that WILL be an event to remember

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 08:14 PM   #9
Sonik
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nothing
Mate, best of luck with it. It will be a day you will remember for the rest of your life!

I asked my missus last year. We went on a holiday to Melbourne, and stayed at the Windsor (Really flash place!). I hired a limo to take us on a tour of melbourne, then went out for dinner at a flash restaurant. Popped the question after the main course, she was laughing and crying and shaking over dessert! The limo picked us up afterwards and took us back to the hotel. It sounds a bit cliche, but it was sooo good! And she was completely suprised.

Oh, and enjoy the night : : : that WILL be an event to remember
So judging by your emoticons, you will see a gorgeous woman, Hi-5 them, then invisible hump? Sounds fun
Sonik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 08:17 PM   #10
AUIII

After 9 and 1/2 years of waiting mine took matters into her own hands and told me what day it was happening and what time I had to be there
Old 07-03-2008, 08:19 PM   #11
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i just asked my wife where i proposed to her and she cant bloody remember (i'm off the hook on that one lol)

i cant remember either lol i can say it was a new years eve

but i will say attempt to make it in a place that is special to you both like the place you met or went on your first date to ect

hope that helps

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 08:22 PM   #12
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimus
i just asked my wife where i proposed to her and she cant bloody remember (i'm off the hook on that one lol)

i cant remember either lol i can say it was a new years eve

but i will say attempt to make it in a place that is special to you both like the place you met or went on your first date to ect

hope that helps

jason
WHAT !! Neither of you can remember. Thats a classic. Good on ya guys. Must of been one hell of a night. : But you're still together, thats the main thing.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:46 PM   #13
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

call me old fashioned but i asked her parents first, then asked her on chrissy day. She had no idea
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 09:03 PM   #14
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
call me old fashioned but i asked her parents first, then asked her on chrissy day. She had no idea

this is what i had in mind....i asked for permission first, picked out the ring, wraped it for x-mas and waited for x-mas day. Unfortunantly her mum accidently slipped about where i bought the present........

so i panicked- i grabbed the ring and went looking for her to give it to her before she worked it out.

i found her and got down on one knee........in her mums laundry!
i will never live it down as long as we both shall live.

50th Anniv G6E Turbo in Sensation
Cobalt blue 94 ED XR8 Sprint- resto/ project
v8falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 09:08 PM   #15
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Not old fashioned at all mate. That's just the way it's done. I also asked Kylie's parents and they said "TAKE HER, TAKE HER". True.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:09 PM   #16
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Tony Blair proposed to his wife while she was cleaning the toilet.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:05 PM   #17
Karnage
Finger Painter

picture this...

a cold miserable winters night sitting on cold steel seats at Willowbank rugged up with blankets, jumpers and pillows, the only thing providing some sort of warmth was the flames coming from the top fuelers.

After three attempts at yelling at Rhiannon to get her to take her ear plugs out, i popped the question, put the ring on her finger and then told her to put her ear plugs back in as the next pair of fuelers were launching.

I had to wait until after they ran (both sub 5 second passes) to get the answer. The longest 5 seconds of my life. Even though i knew the answer already. :eclipsee_

the funniest thing though was being traditional and asking her father. He had rung me up and wanted a quote on painting a bonnet. Drove up there, and stared at the bonnet for a good half an hour umming and ahhing about what to say. He insisted on knowing a price so i asked whether he wanted the inside painted as well. When he said "of course" i said well that will be expensive. He asked how expensive and i said it will cost you your daughters hand in marriage. He laughed, we laughed- one of those uncomfortable moments. It took a good 2 or 3 days and a phone call to Rhiannon's mother before he realised we were serious. :

Which in a way is understandable considering we had only been dating for 3 months at that stage!!!

The original plan was to have the proposal come up on the time boards but they cant show letters. Decided to propose like that since we both love cars and it wasn't the typical cliched proposal.

But good luck mate- it will undoubtedly be an occasion you will remember for a long time to come :
Karnage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 12:03 AM   #18
XYLINC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Took her to Maui for a holiday, went for a sunset walk along the beach, asked her to stand near the water with the sun going down behind her, put the camera up to my face to get a great shot, popped the question immediately followed by the click of the camera. Now I have that photo of her jaw hitting the sand to comemorate the occasion.

With the first missus I popped the question while we were doing the dishes so I hope with the effort put into the second one it goes a little better!
XYLINC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 02:02 AM   #19
RACINGdork
bf xr6t + 351 xe esp weee

her 21st birthday speech. been together since she was 15. married on the 23rd of feb( 2 weeks)

thanks madmaximus... my fav pic so far! waiting for the professional pics!

RACINGdork is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 02:19 AM   #20
Kryton

save it for when you forget her B'day or your anniversary!

but seriously, it doesnt have to be expensive, just do something special (but not obvious).
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #21
KPWISHN
Banned

You'll already know if she is definitely gunna say yes. If not then you may need to work a bit harder on it. :

My wedding was the best day of my life. It's just like a big party with yours and your missus' friends and family. One hell of a day to look forward too. : :
KPWISHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 04:53 PM   #22
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Leave this page open on your computer.

Problem solved.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 12:54 AM   #23
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I popped the question twice to my hubby...and then he did once...That was the one. Keep at it!! She will say yes...eventually!! A friend of mine took his girl to a winery near Dromana. They gave him a picnic basket and a bottle of champangne as the sun was setting...of course she said yes! Do something romantic...not enough romance in this world!!

You wanna make it special...hot air balloon! She can't go anywhere...do it in the air!!
Old 10-03-2008, 01:07 AM   #24
myxr6
Banned

I took her out to dinner on the anniversary of our first get together , then down to the beach between Surfers Paradise and Main Beach to one of those little wooden seats they have.Got down on one knee got out the ring and asked her.
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 01:19 PM   #25
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not old fashioned unless my hubby is too :P

My parents knew before I did, was on my birthday (Xmas eve) he was on bended knee. We were in our "Special Place" here on our property. When we got back home, where my parents were waiting, I gave Mum a glass of champagne. Her comment ........ " About time, Ive been waiting all day for this !!!!!"

Keep it simple & a nice romantic touch is good
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 04:59 PM   #26
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i told my girlfriend of 4 years i wasnt gonna go all out on a ring.. id rather just buy us a mustang as a wedding pressie :P she agreed but still wants a tiffanys ring
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 05:08 PM   #27
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

i proposed to my wife at scratchleys in newcastle.
I asked for her parents permission and told her we were going up to my parents for the weekend because my dad had prostate cancer and we were going out for tea.

i had it all set up with the restaurant (as i know the owners and the chefs) i got them to write will you marry me in chocolate on the desert plate, we waited ages for the main meal she had no idea ( i was sh^%ing bricks by this time) and then the deserts came out straight away.
the whole restaurant was watching, all the chefs came out of the kitchen and i nearly bowled over the waitress by getting down on my knee while she was getting out of the way.

anywho, she said yes after crying for 5 minutes, got a chefs gaurd of honor as we left.
we've been happily married for nearly 5 months now.

its the best thing you'll ever do.....(well apart from owning a ford : )

good luck mate
SNB05T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 05:15 PM   #28
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dont lie dan, u were diving for the cake!
Old 10-03-2008, 05:23 PM   #29
itsabitsa
v8+9in=FUN!!!!!

me and my missus were on holiday in the us in '06, was going to propose at disneyland but she was annoying me so i thought i'd make her wait (she had no idea) till we got to hawaii then i asked her at sunset on the beach at waikiki, she was stunned, got married last november.

Just go for it mate, you wont regret it : : :
Old 10-03-2008, 06:17 PM   #30
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up

Took my girl to the place we went for our first motorbike ride together.

Had the ring that she said she'd liked about three weeks earlier, had some strawberries, chocolate and champagne. We were still allowed to call it champagne then. Now you'd take some sparkling white wine (darn touchy French!)

We walked to the large rock where we'd sat that first date watching planes coming into land at Melbourne Airport.

I snuck out the ring, got on one knee and popped the question. She took what seemed like an eternity to answer, as she was gobsmacked with the ring.

Once she picked her jaw up, she finally answered.

Our 10 year anniversary is in May.

If you know her well, you'll find a way to make it meaningful for the both of you.

All the best with it mate.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post