Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default and you think that you work for peanuts

'Lateline has a copy of one of the men's contracts with a labour hire company called Supply Oilfield Services (SOS), showing them working 84 hours a week and earning $900 a month.'

'Dos Cordilla, Zenry Peteros and Roel Flores are waiting in the Philippines for the ombudsman's ruling on 18 months of work on oil rigs off Western Australia's coast.

They say they worked 12 hours a day, seven days a week as marine painters and general hands around a rig operated by the world's largest shipping company, Danish International, Maersk, for Woodside Petroleum's $14 billion Pluto Gas project.

Next to fully-paid Australian workers, they were earning a fifth of the minimum wage - less than $3 per hour.

"We were being underpaid because our salaries were only for $30 per day," Mr Cordilla said.

"They said the minimum wage in offshore was $400 plus allowance. They said $30 is for only one hour for them."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2....htm?site=news

Nice one, boss.

I'm aware of the distinction betwen work on Australian soil and work offshore, but even so, if I was in the same workplace as other workers for vastly different money I'd be rather annoyed, regardless of the work performed.
A crane driver rightly earns more than a TA, but $3 an hour ????

shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Default Re: and you think that you work for peanuts

I was hoping to open this thread and see a image of a elephant on one foot being handed a bag of peanuts.

In my youth I had a minimum wage job, probably worked harder then than most do now, and was paid far less a day than I get per hour now.
Old 30-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

while it is wrong - on at least two levels - to get people from the philippines (as an example), to work for small amounts of money, it is worth noting that the cost of living in the phlippines to australia is roughly 1/5. they were probably getting paid an amount that was quite livable in the philippines. if they agreed to the terms, knowing they were getting paid so much less, then i do not believe they are entitled to more. if they did not know how much they were getting underpaid, then hopefully they receive everything an australian would have

on a slightly related note, many people complain about sweat shops and the like in some countries and the fact they only get paid a couple of dollars an hour. due to the exchange rates and cost of living in those countries, a couple of dollars an hour is a decent wage. it is australia that overpays and therefore overcharges for everything, not the third world countries underpaying. it is all relevant to the cost of living on the day
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree in that if they knew the rate and accepted the terms, then fair enough, but I personally wouldn't be too keen on sharing a workplace with such a disparity in wages.
I don't think that those guys would do unsafe acts as a means of 'revenge' or do anything along those lines, its just the disparity between guys who all experience the same noise and fumes and so on.
But I'm not wearing clothes made in Australia either ......
Old 30-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67

on a slightly related note, many people complain about sweat shops and the like in some countries and the fact they only get paid a couple of dollars an hour. due to the exchange rates and cost of living in those countries, a couple of dollars an hour is a decent wage. it is australia that overpays and therefore overcharges for everything, not the third world countries underpaying. it is all relevant to the cost of living on the day
I tend to agree with this, although I think what people complain about is sweat shops existing, employees getting paid a couple of dollars, and the company selling their products for 80 or 90 dollars each. but I don't believe the labour hire company have done the right thing. Knowing how their system works, they would have still no doubt been charging the client a premium. As far as using the 456 visa, that's just silly. The 35 days straight is also against all kinds of employment regulations, OH&S, etc.

As with the above, if they didn't know they should have been getting paid $30 an hour, they should be fully reimbursed. If they agreed to it, well, that's a different story all together.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

It reminds me of a segment I heard on the radio with an entertainment commentator and NOVA100....long story short he wore a mink hat and scarf to Dr Zhivago and some reporter had a crack saying do you feel bad for wearing an animal blah blah blah.

The commentator strikes back and says "well firstly where they come from they are close enough to pests, poorer people kill/skin/prepare and sell the clothes so they can feed their families"..."do I feel bad for supporting them".."no you F wit"....LOL

We have it so good here that we often forget the stuff we take for granted others would kill for.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #7
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

We are some of the highest paid workers in the world. MANY companies (like cruise ships) and countries (like Dubai) import workers and pay them 'peanuts' but in many cases they are still earning more than back home. Not fair I agree but that's just the way it is. I often deal with these workers on my travels and tip them very well.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a book called "Behind the Veil' by Lydia Laube, which describes the working lives of imported workers in Saudi Arabia.
A four-bedroom flat with 16 Filipino nurses in it working very long hours is an example. Not slavery, but not a whole lot better - economic slavery perhaps.
We're so lucky here.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=...page&q&f=false
Old 30-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its been reported widely in the media that on several job sites in Australia that large companies have paid their migrant workers peanuts here on Australian soil.
Also cases of dozens of people crammed into dongas (mostly Philipino) and then being charged RENT).

Lets call a spade a spade.... If they are doing the same job, on the same job site, they should be paid the same. No IFS OR BUTS....

It has nothing to do with their living conditions back home and that their cost of living is 1/5th blah blah blah..... Its called exploitation.

Im sure you would all start to whinge quite loudly when these companies start ditching Aussies in favour of cheap overseas labour... or surely we would all sit quietly and thank our lucky stars these companies get to make more profit and pay themselves large salaries?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
4bbl
too many toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Its been reported widely in the media that on several job sites in Australia that large companies have paid their migrant workers peanuts here on Australian soil.
Also cases of dozens of people crammed into dongas (mostly Philipino) and then being charged RENT).

Lets call a spade a spade.... If they are doing the same job, on the same job site, they should be paid the same. No IFS OR BUTS....

It has nothing to do with their living conditions back home and that their cost of living is 1/5th blah blah blah..... Its called exploitation.

Im sure you would all start to whinge quite loudly when these companies start ditching Aussies in favour of cheap overseas labour... or surely we would all sit quietly and thank our lucky stars these companies get to make more profit and pay themselves large salaries?
So true Jim, I myself working in the resource sector have witnessed this crap first hand!
4bbl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #11
Scott

Quote:
When there are jobs here that aren't being filled, I fully support a coy's choice to go find men elsewhere. If they go elsewhere and offer work at a rate that is attractive enough to garner interest, good for them.

Just the other day I was listening to the radio and a company in Dalby called in (out of depseration) saying "we need 150 heads, no experience necessary - starting wage of $100k".

Obviously not everyone wants to work in Dalby, and even less want to work on a rig so they do what they have to. If that means offering a guy from O/S an attractive package because no-one here will step up, so be it.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 01:21 PM   #12
gtxb67

Quote:
It has nothing to do with their living conditions back home and that their cost of living is 1/5th blah blah blah..... Its called exploitation
that point has nothing to do with exploitation. my wife is a filipina and she would rather her family have food on the table for 18 months than to go hungry. her friends and members of her close and extended family have worked abroad to help family members back home. would you rather the filipino's and all other third world countries go hungry and live in squalor so your concsience about exploitation is clear. i guess if they are over there, we do not have to care about them do we

once again, if the filipino's in question knew they were getting a raw deal but excepted it anyway, then in my opinion they do not have a right to complain
if they took the job on believing they were getting somewhere near equal pay, then they deserve the full amount

is the company right for paying so little - probably not. i see two sides. i do not want to see australian jobs going to overseas interests, but i can accept that others who are less fortunate then me have to eat as well

this country is full of slackass people who expect everything be given to them. if they do not want the job because it means they have to work, then bring in others who will - and if they do it for less; is that their fault or ours
Old 30-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #13
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
I tend to agree with this, although I think what people complain about is sweat shops existing, employees getting paid a couple of dollars, and the company selling their products for 80 or 90 dollars each
sweat shop may have been the wrong adjective. some of us consider the multi-national clothing companies to be true sweatshops, not the majority of third world businesses

most of the newly employed third world people, although earning much less than us per hour are still earning an amount that allows them to live. the cost of living, plus the exchange rate means that their wages look much lower to us than they really are. for instance $900 per month is the equivalent to 36,000php (philippine pesos). when in manila in 2005 i bought a pair of jag jeans for $5. they were on special from $10. it is the western world that has it's head up it's butt. some things, particular cadbury chocolate, cars and plane tickets are still horribly expensive to them, but alot of the day to day stuff is almost as affordable to them as it is over here to us
Old 30-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #14
4bbl
too many toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
When there are jobs here that aren't being filled, I fully support a coy's choice to go find men elsewhere. If they go elsewhere and offer work at a rate that is attractive enough to garner interest, good for them.

Just the other day I was listening to the radio and a company in Dalby called in (out of depseration) saying "we need 150 heads, no experience necessary - starting wage of $100k".

Obviously not everyone wants to work in Dalby, and even less want to work on a rig so they do what they have to. If that means offering a guy from O/S an attractive package because no-one here will step up, so be it.
In a perfect world Scott, but I am afraid big corparations dont see it as filling positions as much as saving a buck.
Old 30-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #15
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
that point has nothing to do with exploitation. my wife is a filipina and she would rather her family have food on the table for 18 months than to go hungry. her friends and members of her close and extended family have worked abroad to help family members back home. would you rather the filipino's and all other third world countries go hungry and live in squalor so your concsience about exploitation is clear. i guess if they are over there, we do not have to care about them do we

once again, if the filipino's in question knew they were getting a raw deal but excepted it anyway, then in my opinion they do not have a right to complain
if they took the job on believing they were getting somewhere near equal pay, then they deserve the full amount

is the company right for paying so little - probably not. i see two sides. i do not want to see australian jobs going to overseas interests, but i can accept that others who are less fortunate then me have to eat as well

this country is full of slackass people who expect everything be given to them. if they do not want the job because it means they have to work, then bring in others who will - and if they do it for less; is that their fault or ours
Spot on and 100% correct. I have shared my house with a Philipino and a Pakistani and they say much the same. None of the workers go by force. They are doing it to suport families back home as the money is better.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #16
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
sweat shop may have been the wrong adjective. some of us consider the multi-national clothing companies to be true sweatshops, not the majority of third world businesses

most of the newly employed third world people, although earning much less than us per hour are still earning an amount that allows them to live. the cost of living, plus the exchange rate means that their wages look much lower to us than they really are. for instance $900 per month is the equivalent to 36,000php (philippine pesos). when in manila in 2005 i bought a pair of jag jeans for $5. they were on special from $10. it is the western world that has it's head up it's butt. some things, particular cadbury chocolate, cars and plane tickets are still horribly expensive to them, but alot of the day to day stuff is almost as affordable to them as it is over here to us
yep, 100% agree. The ex's mum used to work two jobs over here, and send money back to the Phillipine's to her family. Which points to another thing, though OT, they have more of a family unit as opposed to Australia and other western countries, asian countries in particular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott

I'd do it, have just tried finding this on seek and careerone...and no luck :(

It stands to reason though, people are stuck in their comfort zones, and don't want to go away from social life, etc.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 30-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #17
4bbl
too many toys

I guess I speak a little off the Original post but I do have a real problem with Skilled labour being farmed out as I think they should have the best man for the job, Not the cheapest. Any wich way it will come back to haunt them
Old 30-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #18
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
yep, 100% agree. The ex's mum used to work two jobs over here, and send money back to the Phillipine's to her family. Which points to another thing, though OT, they have more of a family unit as opposed to Australia and other western countries, asian countries in particular
from my experience (and this was long before i met my wife), filipino's will work 24/7 if it was possible. they know what living tough is all about. alot have been very poor or have seen the people they love in that position and do not want to be in it again

my mother in law, who will be here in early june currently runs a bakery. she goes out to work at around 5am and stays there until 11pm. luckily the bakery is next door to their unit, so she has around 1 hour sleep during the day, but otherwise a 57 year old lady is doing those hours at least 6 days a week. sunday she sometimes takes time off for church

while these are not the nicest pictures i took from my holiday they are the ones that stand out the most to me

this one is obviously of a train line. it is full of squatters. it is about 200 metres from my wife's home in pandacan (fled may know the area). it is my belief that their unit is around 10mins from the president's residence. in short in melbourne terms, it would be like having these homeless people in south melbourne, maybe st kilda. we would be shocked for this sight anywhere but so close to the city :(
tragically i believe at least one child has been hit by a train in that place since 2005

this one was taken at 9.30 on a friday night. the road to tagaytay, while a main type of road, we only seemed to see a car every couple of minutes. 9.30pm on friday, with so little traffic and this fruit store is still open - i guess there was nothing better to do

it is very sad. when living in those conditions, being abroad even getting ripped off can seem like a good deal
Old 30-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #19
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep. Life is hard in most of the world for most of the people.
16 to a flat is what you gotta do to survive, and help others to survive.
Old 30-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #20
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bbl
I guess I speak a little off the Original post but I do have a real problem with Skilled labour being farmed out as I think they should have the best man for the job, Not the cheapest. Any wich way it will come back to haunt them
What do you do when the best man for the job is the best because he's the only one to apply?

Saving $100k on a man, or 100 men is not in the interest of the coys running these large projects. The cost is minuscule in comparison to the overall budget but they need bums in seats - no one can argue that they don't pay market rates here.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 10:12 PM   #21
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It seems that corporations are after a quick buck. How can they claim to not be able to find workers when we have over 20% youth unemployment. People are just not willing to train somebody anymore.

I have seen in construction first hand how many positions are filled in the short term but nothing is gained by the local economy. All monies are shipped offshore and no skills are retained, it's a lose lose situation.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 10:23 PM   #22
4bbl
too many toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
It seems that corporations are after a quick buck. How can they claim to not be able to find workers when we have over 20% youth unemployment. People are just not willing to train somebody anymore.

I have seen in construction first hand how many positions are filled in the short term but nothing is gained by the local economy. All monies are shipped offshore and no skills are retained, it's a lose lose situation.
enough said
Old 30-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #23
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How can they claim to not be able to find workers when we have over 20% youth unemployment. People are just not willing to train somebody anymore.
The present dole /training situation is a joke.

On the 'commie pinko left-wing' ABC tv the other night there was a piece that mentioned that backpackers and African migrants were employed on rubbish collection in Alice Springs yet the locals were not interested, and neither were they required to be interested.

I spent a few years on the dole as a professional stoned hippie and I would have been far better off if I had been forced back into the workforce.
I forced myself back to reality eventually, but the taxpayers paid for a long holiday and that is wrong. For a society to be properly functional, everybody must contribute to the common good.
Giving some people a special dispensation to bludge that is unwarranted is wrong.
But if you genuinely can't work, then you should get a dole of some sort to prevent crime driven by necessity.

Mind you, there's a lot of wrong in tax minimisation by family trusts and all the other dodges available to the wealthy .....
Oh for some straight - talking pollies and 'common (or is it rare) - sense'
Old 30-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #24
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You ever asked one of these 20% unemployed if they actually want to work...sad truth is most of the time, the answer is no.

What proof do I have of this...? I worked in recruitment, they would show up to ensure they met their quota for job seeking, attend one day, tell me to get ********d and go collect their dole payments...

It's not about training, as there are plenty of companies who are prepared to give people a shot, even those with no experience. At the end of the day, it's up to the individual to want to work. Sad truth is, those migrants, actually do want to work.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 01-05-2011, 01:40 AM   #25
nstg8a

im a kiwi, been here for nearly three years now, and its been a long held belief in nz that its easy for a kiwi to get work in australia, because australians dont want to work.

whether its true or not i wont go into. but i was talking to my neighbor the other day who is on the dole, she just turned down a job for $23 an hour, because she didnt want to start at 6am.

so obviously there is some that just want to bludge... which just tarnishes the image of all the others that do want to earn the money the old fashioned way.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 01:53 AM   #26
gtfpv
GT

i've been to the phillipeans and seen people happier than me living under a tree by the beach . i've also seen kids living in cardboard boxes in the middle of the road . the locals dont really feed them , however wont let them die . i also gave some money to a one legged man on the street , who then proceeded to give me the middle finger , i also got ripped off by a taxi driver 800 pasos for a trip from the domestic air port to the international airport , and the drivers *** standing behind my wife if i refuse to pay . i was paying over $100 per day for food and water there .
i work with a phillipino on over 100k pa here thats about 2 million pasos, can you imagine how rich he is when he goes home . i cannot imagine going overseas and earning $2 mill au per year .
life is different in the phillipines . its hard to compare and sympathise, when some of them are happier than us .
i seen adults taking huge tips off tourists ,whilst not letting tourists give anything to homeless kids ,, in fear of losing thier tips .
i'll add more , i gave money to begging kids , quite a bit , who gave it to thier mum around the corner , who went straight into the grog shop and bought booze and ciggies . had a police officer try to sell me his badge in the middle of a shopping mall - yeah right ( quick way to jail me thinks if id accepted that deal ) had a security gaurd point his machine gun at me in a shopping mall because i looked at him perving on my wife .
crazy crazy place . this was all 20 years ago as well .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 02:05 AM   #27
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:

If that were the case, a few indian programmers that work for me need a pay cut. They are "contract" workers (we have Aussie ones as well), and are getting roughly 1.5 times what I get, because I am a permie, and they are not. So sometimes, it works the other way as well.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #28
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
i also gave some money to a one legged man on the street , who then proceeded to give me the middle finger , i also got ripped off by a taxi driver 800 pasos for a trip from the domestic air port to the international airport , and the drivers *** standing behind my wife if i refuse to pay
that happens in australia too - in fact all countries. it is called human nature

Quote:
i was paying over $100 per day for food and water there
i am not disputing this, but i am unsure how it could have cost that much. i spent $330 a day on average in my trip in 2005. that includes my airfare. my motel bill, all of my food, my fiance's food, two airfares, and a bus and ferry ride to an exotic island. 2 and a half days on the said island. a private taxi (at mates rates admittidely. a trip to an amusement park where i paid for all six of us and other things too

Quote:
life is different in the phillipines . its hard to compare and sympathise, when some of them are happier than us
some are happier than us, because they are not spoilt people. believe it or not some people do not need a big house and shiny car for happiness. they need their family and faith. most third world country's have residents that are happier than australians because they have their priorities right. well actually it is forced onto them because of poverty. it is not forced unto us, so we only care about what we have and what we can get, when most of us have everything we already need

Quote:
i seen adults taking huge tips off tourists ,whilst not letting tourists give anything to homeless kids ,, in fear of losing thier tips
how many people in australia are happy to give money to the homeless, particularly if they have worked for it and the homeless haven't. the people working and carrying our bags need to eat too - and feed their own family. while i would not suggest there are no selfish people in any particular country, i found the filipino's to be no more selfish than australians. i did however find them to be much happier

Quote:
i'll add more , i gave money to begging kids , quite a bit , who gave it to thier mum around the corner , who went straight into the grog shop and bought booze and ciggies
that happens in australia too - it is called welfare, not tips. there are professional beggars in any country though, and australia certainly isn't exempt from that. the filipinos are just human as well

Quote:
had a police officer try to sell me his badge in the middle of a shopping mall - yeah right ( quick way to jail me thinks if id accepted that deal )
you probably would have been able to keep it - maybe only until you went through customs, but if a police officer is willing to see his badge to feed his family, that could give an idea about living conditions there

Quote:
had a security gaurd point his machine gun at me in a shopping mall because i looked at him perving on my wife
6 years ago there was armed guards outside banks and other areas. to go into some shopping malls, you had to be scanned for weapons etc. men went one side and ladies the other. i assume the reasoning for scanning is not to stop the average young kid with a knife, but because of an almost constant threat of terror from the southern philippines, who it seems would like to take their own area of the philippines to create their own country. once again, that should give you an idea about how they live over there.

Last edited by gtxb67; 01-05-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #29
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
im a kiwi, been here for nearly three years now, and its been a long held belief in nz that its easy for a kiwi to get work in australia, because australians dont want to work.

whether its true or not i wont go into. but i was talking to my neighbor the other day who is on the dole, she just turned down a job for $23 an hour, because she didnt want to start at 6am.

so obviously there is some that just want to bludge... which just tarnishes the image of all the others that do want to earn the money the old fashioned way.
Around 85% of the temporary placements I made in recruitment were Kiwi's, TI's and Philippino's. The 'Australian's' that were placed very rarely lasted.

So when someone goes offshore for employees, I really can't blame them. As a business they need to function - if they have no staff, they can't function...

On the converse, if that job is on Australian soil, they need to pay the staff the equivalent of an Australian salary, regardless.

$23 an hour equates to about $45K a year around $30K more than the dole, I don't know many people who would rather get the dole than 45K, but when I worked in recruitment, it was rife with these kinds of people.

Quote:
some are happier than us, because they are not spoilt people. believe it or not some people do not need a big house and shiny car for happiness. they need their family and faith. most third world country's have residents that are happier than australians because they have their priorities right. well actually it is forced onto them because of poverty. it is not forced unto us, so we only care about what we have and what we can get, when most of us have everything we already need
Once again 100% agree.

Sez

Photo's by Sez

Last edited by SEZ213; 01-05-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #30
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
LOL, our senior auto elec is only paid $25 an hour and he's been in the game for 42 years if someone gave me the opportunity for $23 an hour I'd jump at it.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post