Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

View Poll Results: Should Boss 260/290's be allowed billet oil pump gears
Yes, Most definately ! 17 44.74%
No, It is classified as opened ! 14 36.84%
I dont really care ! 7 18.42%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 30-03-2006, 08:07 PM   #1
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Default Oil Pump Gears / Un-Opened ??

I have created this poll to get some feed back on the use of billet oil pump gears in the Boss 260/290's.

As some of you are aware, there has been numerous failures of the standard gears. Some motors have had relatively minor damage if shut down quicky, some others have been completely stuffed.

The LS1 brigade get a concession in their un-opened motors to run better valve springs, which imo is definatly a performance gain, not a reliability issue.

I suggest that there be a concession with the Boss 260/290 motors, that allows them to run billet oil pump gears and still be classed as un-opened.

Those that probably disagree, either dont own a modified "bolt on" Boss or have plenty of $$$$ to spend when their gears finally let go.

Old 30-03-2006, 08:10 PM   #2
LUXO_8
windsor user

i think thats a fair call.... as you said its not a performance gain..... just a stronger oil pump gear....

further on this, the billet gears are fitted in the factory repairs yes? so therefor it should be classified as a factory part.......if its a part that ford themselves are fitting to fix the issue
Old 30-03-2006, 08:12 PM   #3
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
I have created this poll to get some feed back on the use of billet oil pump gears in the Boss 260/290's.

As some of you are aware, there has been numerous failures of the standard gears. Some motors have had relatively minor damage if shut down quicky, some others have been completely stuffed.

The LS1 brigade get a concession in their un-opened motors to run better valve springs, which imo is definatly a performance gain, not a reliability issue.

I suggest that there be a concession with the Boss 260/290 motors, that allows them to run billet oil pump gears and still be classed as un-opened.

Those that probably disagree, either dont own a modified "bolt on" Boss or have plenty of $$$$ to spend when their gears finally let go.
I suppose it's like changing the tensioners.Improving a product for durability isn't really going to break a world record.I would assume it doesn't apply
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
Old 30-03-2006, 08:16 PM   #4
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
i think thats a fair call.... as you said its not a performance gain..... just a stronger oil pump gear....

further on this, the billet gears are fitted in the factory repairs yes? so therefor it should be classified as a factory part.......if its a part that ford themselves are fitting to fix the issue

Ford have replaced some motors under warranty, with a new factory motor.
Other people have copped it on the chin with their warranty voided, because of modifications.
Old 30-03-2006, 08:19 PM   #5
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Ford have replaced some motors under warranty, with a new factory motor.
Other people have copped it on the chin with their warranty voided, because of modifications.
ah ok.....damn...
you'd think ford would realise it could be so much cheaper and better repaired by fitting the gears straight out wouldnt you...
Old 30-03-2006, 08:24 PM   #6
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVGT
I suppose it's like changing the tensioners.Improving a product for durability isn't really going to break a world record.I would assume it doesn't apply
I agree with Alex, it's a concession thats needed as the gears hardly rate in a standard Boss.
At some stage everyone well need to change them.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 30-03-2006, 08:30 PM   #7
Chris
AFF.com.au

this is easy,

TO PUT VALVE SPRINGS IN A MOTOR, IT NEEDS TO BE OPENED.

TO PUT OIL PUMP GEARS IN A MOTOR IT NEEDS TO BE OPENED.

simple.

If people are going to pull chains off a boss to do a pump, then the cam timing requires re-doing, but it doesn't matter, opened is opened.

If this thread goes down the path of us following the LS1 crowd, then im putting my "unopened" 260 back in the ute and i'll kill the LS1 and Ford records.

Childish. opened is opened, no matter how you play it, notwithstanding the fact that timing adjustments can be made on a boss when the oil pump is off.

Moving cams around alters valetrain events, as does changing valvesprings in an LS1. Once the chains are loosened, the timing events are altered, who will be policing this??

What is your stance Cam??
Old 30-03-2006, 08:31 PM   #8
Chris
AFF.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
I agree with Alex, it's a concession thats needed as the gears hardly rate in a standard Boss.
At some stage everyone well need to change them.
Disagree Mark, the timing is altered from factory once the chains are loosened.

opened - check it out in the dictionary guys........
Old 30-03-2006, 08:35 PM   #9
Chris
AFF.com.au

Quote:
Its been said before - modify at your own peril. You can put gears in it, just dont call it unopened.
Old 30-03-2006, 08:37 PM   #10
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

I got to agree with Chris on this. I dont have a BA so I have nothing to gain or lose here, no motive but logic. Opened is opened. If it touches engine oil.. its open. I think the LS1 valve spring agreement is a joke personally. Something they have all convinced themselves isnt really a "real" mod. Guess what.. non factory is non factory. Open is open.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Old 30-03-2006, 08:43 PM   #11
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

No one is policing it, so just do what you like call it want you want.
Just Go Hard Go Fast..
In The end its up to each person to say whats done to there car if they wish.

Old 30-03-2006, 08:45 PM   #12
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Its a touchy subject Chris, and one that requires honesty from all parties that are involved in racing.

I agree with what you are saying in principal, but as you know it is a real problem with these motors, and speaking for myself, i cannot afford for a motor to destroy itself, because of inferior oil pump gears !

I am lead to believe that the cam timing should not alter with the replacement of these gears, unless vernier gears are used or the installer has incorrectly re-assembled the timing chain assembly, or altered the cam position by dubious means.
Old 30-03-2006, 08:47 PM   #13
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm in a bind .. there is absolutely no performance gained by doing it .. but it definitely is opened.
Old 30-03-2006, 08:52 PM   #14
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

OK guys, Im not stirring ИИИИИ, but will we class cars that have had timing chain tensioners replaced under warranty as "Opened" ?????

Technically speaking they have been !
Old 30-03-2006, 08:58 PM   #15
SpoolMan

Quote:
OK guys, Im not stirring ИИИИИ, but will we class cars that have had timing chain tensioners replaced under warranty as "Opened" ?????

Technically speaking they have been !
Mine were changed under warranty because there use were insufficient for my Boss motor.
So maybe your oil pump gears are in the same boat, is this what you are saying Cam?

Old 30-03-2006, 09:06 PM   #16
G&D PERFORMANCE
G&D Performance Australia

Replacing a rocker cover gasket is OPENED.

Rectification of faulty timing chain tensioners by a ford service technician is OPENED.

Removing camshaft dowels & moving cams around & tightening the hell out of the camshaft bolts is OPENED.

Where does it end.I agree this oil pump gear saga is a can of worms but how many engine have to be blown up before we wake up to the fact that something has to be done.These engines aren't cheap & cost at least $10,000 - $12000 second hand with Fords retail being set at $14950.

The LS1 valvespring failure issue is a common one,even holden replace many under warranty.They lose tension very early in their life cycle & create excessive valve float hence a loss in power that is quite evident on the dyno.This is a different issue though & I think the BOSS oil pump gear issue has far more merrit.

I for one think that the whole bolt on/stock internal scene is a joke until we see some real scrutineering.I'd like to see it happen,maybe we can pay an independant party to do it for us.Relying on someones honesty & integrity is not good enough.

Glenn
Old 30-03-2006, 09:07 PM   #17
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

I guess I see it as where do you draw the line? Its too open to "creep" where one thing, then another, then another is accepted as "unopened" still.

Old 30-03-2006, 09:12 PM   #18
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Mine were changed under warranty because there use were insufficient for my Boss motor.
So maybe your oil pump gears are in the same boat, is this what you are saying Cam?
I think that it is a matter of time before they break, i have all the bolt on mods and i want to sleep well, knowing that they wont give me grief.
Old 30-03-2006, 09:21 PM   #19
ALS008
I'm BOSS

So how far do the engines need to be pushed (making more Hp) before this becomes an issue. Or can a stock Boss be subjected to such a failure, if it leads a hard life???

====Past Rides====
'04 BA XR6T 5spd T5: Nizpro Tuned, Valve springs, CIA, Injectors, 256RWKW
'04 BA XR8 4spd BTR:Bluepower Tuned, BPR CAI, Big Boy exhaust, Hi Stall, 4.11s, 248RWKW PB:13.2@105mph
'92 EB Fairmont GHIA 5.0LT 5spd T5:Stock with a cat back exhaust.
'06 BF Fairlane GHIA 230Boss ZF 6spd: BPR CIA, cat back Exhaust.

====Present Ride====
'10 FPV GS Ute ZF 6spd:#108. With all the fruit.
Old 30-03-2006, 09:22 PM   #20
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
I think that it is a matter of time before they break, i have all the bolt on mods and i want to sleep well, knowing that they wont give me grief.
Well since you have modified your ford, wouldnt you count on the gears being replaced at your own expense?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
Old 30-03-2006, 09:22 PM   #21
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yup still unopened. You gain no performance from changing them. It's not like it's a cam change.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
Old 30-03-2006, 09:29 PM   #22
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
Well since you have modified your ford, wouldnt you count on the gears being replaced at your own expense?
Yes most definatly, i have just changed my under drives for the correct 5.4 type, as i had the early ones on.

The billet gears are the best insurance imo.
Old 30-03-2006, 09:33 PM   #23
G&D PERFORMANCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
I guess I see it as where do you draw the line? Its too open to "creep" where one thing, then another, then another is accepted as "unopened" still.
Agreed but the BOSS oil pump gear issue is such a stand out fault though that I believe it should be allowed & nothing else.

All i'm worried about is the fact that if the gears aren't allowed then the average punter out there won't get the opportunity to have a go at the records that have been set due to fear of having to sell their house to buy new engine.

The other issue boils down to trust,if you allow the use of the gears it stops anyone having an unfair advantage by using them & not telling anyone about it.

Glenn
Old 30-03-2006, 09:36 PM   #24
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
i cannot afford for a motor to destroy itself, because of inferior oil pump gears !
Dad is in the same Boat the next mod is Billet gears, is great insurance as Cam has said and much cheaper than a new Engine!

Personally in racing terms i wouldn't consider it opened, but i don't really care either...
Old 30-03-2006, 09:37 PM   #25
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Okay... how it goin to advantage say me from you if you use the gears....
Hadnt realised they were good for hp also.
Quote:
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
Old 30-03-2006, 09:38 PM   #26
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
The other issue boils down to trust,if you allow the use of the gears it stops anyone having an unfair advantage by using them & not telling anyone about it.
The advantage of not risking your engine everytime you take your car out for some fun.
Old 30-03-2006, 09:39 PM   #27
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&D PERFORMANCE
Agreed but the BOSS oil pump gear issue is such a stand out fault though that I believe it should be allowed & nothing else.

All i'm worried about is the fact that if the gears aren't allowed then the average punter out there won't get the opportunity to have a go at the records that have been set due to fear of having to sell their house to buy new engine.

Glenn
I certainly see your point and agree that the oil pump issue is a known one. I know if I had a Boss I'd be getting it replaced racing or not. I jsut have an oldfashioned outlook on opened and not opened. Its something open to abuse. I think, in the end, you said it earler when you said that unless there is proper scrutineering its all irrelavent. People either tell what they have or not.

I think I'll just enjoy you making my car fast, opened or unopened, maybe semi opened : and everyone can all come out and go drag racing for the one reason I do it.. FUN!

Old 30-03-2006, 09:39 PM   #28
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Interesting poll results, most people appear to class them as opened, but the poll show as more leaning towards unopened, maybe it's thew wording, people may not be reading the poll correctly.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
Old 30-03-2006, 09:39 PM   #29
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

okay so drag racing doesnt risk your driveline or engine
Quote:
Old 30-03-2006, 09:40 PM   #30
G&D PERFORMANCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
this is easy,

TO PUT VALVE SPRINGS IN A MOTOR, IT NEEDS TO BE OPENED.

TO PUT OIL PUMP GEARS IN A MOTOR IT NEEDS TO BE OPENED.

simple.

If people are going to pull chains off a boss to do a pump, then the cam timing requires re-doing, but it doesn't matter, opened is opened.

If this thread goes down the path of us following the LS1 crowd, then im putting my "unopened" 260 back in the ute and i'll kill the LS1 and Ford records.

Childish. opened is opened, no matter how you play it, notwithstanding the fact that timing adjustments can be made on a boss when the oil pump is off.

Moving cams around alters valetrain events, as does changing valvesprings in an LS1. Once the chains are loosened, the timing events are altered, who will be policing this??

I understand what your saying Chris but I do remember you once mentioned to me during the period when you were running your unopened 260 BOSS about how you had modified the oil pump gears to make them live.Is this also classed as unopened?

Glenn
Closed Thread