Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-01-2007, 06:49 PM   #1
apoc
AUII I6

Default Blown head gasket?

Okay peoples not real happy here :( , and i warn you this is a bit of an epic..

I just got my exhaust done today, hooray a 2 1/2 cat back mandral bent with oval tip, both mufflers, i was stoked it sounded sweet, quiet to cruise at both 60, and 100 - 110 km, but you knew if you were putting your foot down.

So this is all cool, i decided i would give it a bit more on the way home, have a good listen to my zorst (i have been driving like grandpa scroty since buying this car seeing as how i got a ticket 2nd time i drove it :(, and i want it to last... )

Car seemed a little lumpy pulling up from work, only really noticable at idle when driving car seems fine..., decide to take a friend for a cruise to show him the new car and exhaust, sitting at the lights car is lumpy, not heaps severe but noticebly not a happy ducky. So went for a bit of a run stopped at more lights lumpy still :(.

So i popped the bonnet when i got home and from what i can see there is some freshish looking oil coming from the front intake side corner between the head and the block. Were not talking heaps of oil but enough to make a 6-7cm patch glisten. There seems to be some oldish looking oil and crud at the actual join of the head and the block perhaps i just agitated an old leak..

There doesnt appear to be any dis-colouration or milkyness to the oil, on dipstick its like honey, damn clean honey. Does the lack of any apparent water leak in or out of the block indicate that it isnt simply a gasket leak?

Plugs new, leads fine, oil & water level fine and new.

So i am guessing i have a blown head gasket?
A compression test should tell me if this is the case shouldn't it?
How much am i looking at to have it replaced?
Can i do it myself, i have no manual...? I have replaced an intake manifold gasket on the VN V6 successfully (that is about the level of my skill and patience)

Cheers people, im prolly overthinking the whole thing, but hey, when the car aint running schmick i stress.

Simon

apoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post