Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-04-2015, 05:31 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile First Australian Road Test Mondeo

First Australian road test new Mondeo
http://www.drive.com.au/motor-review...08-1mg2h8.html
Old 11-04-2015, 05:39 PM   #2
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 
Default Re: First Australian Road Test Mondeo

There was also one in yesterdays Carsguide.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-revi...6#.VSjBMvmUclI

Note that it uses more fuel than a Falcon Ecoboost (8.2 lt/100km vs. 8.0 lt/100km), despite being 100kg lighter than the Falcon.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2015, 06:30 PM   #3
Ruination

11.8L/100Km is a bit worrying. Is it not? And they're trying to combat the Camry with those figures? Good luck with that I say.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:40 PM   #4
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruination View Post
11.8L/100Km is a bit worrying. Is it not? And they're trying to combat the Camry with those figures? Good luck with that I say.
What was Camry's economy during the comparison? Oh wait the Camry wasnt included in the test.

However Wheels mag did test the Camry vs an Ecoboost Falcon a little while back and the Falcon got 11.7 and Camry 11.4
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2015, 11:13 PM   #5
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
What was Camry's economy during the comparison? Oh wait the Camry wasnt included in the test.

However Wheels mag did test the Camry vs an Ecoboost Falcon a little while back and the Falcon got 11.7 and Camry 11.4
Common....your ruining a good chance for a good ole bag ford session......
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2015, 11:17 PM   #6
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
Common....your ruining a good chance for a good ole bag ford session......
This Mondeo will do well, I think this is the type of car that traditional family car buyers have been waiting for. And much better than the poxy compact SUVs that sell for the same price.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-04-2015, 03:32 AM   #7
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruination View Post
It is, but considering that this is a brand new car whose engine probably haven't even been run in properly yet, I think that's something that'll improve over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
Rim style is pretty ordinary in my opinion especially those on the Titanium model.
Yeah, I agree. I love the car, but I just wish that it looked a bit more like the UK spec Titanium - 19" 5 twin spoke rims, chrome grille, no bodykit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipXW View Post
They really should have called this fusion. I'd personally not buy it simply for the fact it's a mondeo.
Why? Fusion means nothing to Australia. It's too American. Besides, while the Fusion and the Mondeo share the same platform and the same panels, they are quite different cars - Fusion is sedan only, Mondeo is hatch and wagon only; and there are features (such as LED headlamps, panoramic sunroof) that you can get in a Mondeo but you can't in any Fusion.

The MA-MC series Mondeos are very decent cars, good to drive, and generally well built. Those who say the Mondeo name is tainted are living in the past.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2015, 09:43 AM   #8
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
It is, but considering that this is a brand new car whose engine probably haven't even been run in properly yet, I think that's something that'll improve over time.

Yeah, I agree. I love the car, but I just wish that it looked a bit more like the UK spec Titanium - 19" 5 twin spoke rims, chrome grille, no bodykit.

Why? Fusion means nothing to Australia. It's too American. Besides, while the Fusion and the Mondeo share the same platform and the same panels, they are quite different cars - Fusion is sedan only, Mondeo is hatch and wagon only; and there are features (such as LED headlamps, panoramic sunroof) that you can get in a Mondeo but you can't in any Fusion.

The MA-MC series Mondeos are very decent cars, good to drive, and generally well built. Those who say the Mondeo name is tainted are living in the past.
Hopefully they might offer a rim option package for the Titanium.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2015, 07:21 PM   #9
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Rim style is pretty ordinary in my opinion especially those on the Titanium model.
3 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2015, 07:54 PM   #10
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
Agreed,

The only decent wheels are on the ambiente wagon, but it doesn't even get rear air vents. poor form i think.

see also Car Advices review.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/347430/2...tch-and-wagon/

2015 SZ MkII Ford Territory TS
Aero Blue, RWD Petrol, Standard Sat Nav.

2013 TF Ford Kuga Ambiente
Panther Black, AWD, 6 Speed Auto, 1.6lt ecoBoost Turbo Petrol.

Was
2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock...

2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Gun Metal Grey, Lumpy Straight 6
fourl6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-04-2015, 08:06 PM   #11
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Yeah they are the pick of the bunch but nothing to rave home about.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:09 PM   #12
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

fourI6: Poms don't need rear air conditioning!!!!!!!
Old 11-04-2015, 08:17 PM   #13
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Its another + for the Aussie built cars.

The wife's Ambiente Kuga is the same, no rear air verts which is just penny pinching.

2015 SZ MkII Ford Territory TS
Aero Blue, RWD Petrol, Standard Sat Nav.

2013 TF Ford Kuga Ambiente
Panther Black, AWD, 6 Speed Auto, 1.6lt ecoBoost Turbo Petrol.

Was
2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock...

2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Gun Metal Grey, Lumpy Straight 6
fourl6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2015, 11:51 AM   #14
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Not many euros do. My old focus and my ST doesn't have it. It's never bothered me at all.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2015, 12:05 PM   #15
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Not many euros do. My old focus and my ST doesn't have it. It's never bothered me at all.
From direct experience, VAG group cars and BMW, comprising a large proportion of the European car fleet, have rear a/c outlets.

In central Europe it gets very hot in summer and in winter there's a rather significant need for the heating! I'm surprised that such a feature might be omitted from a Europe-spec Mondeo. It would put them at a competitive disadvantage for one thing.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2015, 12:51 PM   #16
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
In central Europe it gets very hot in summer and in winter there's a rather significant need for the heating! I'm surprised that such a feature might be omitted from a Europe-spec Mondeo. It would put them at a competitive disadvantage for one thing.
The higher trim Mondeos have it, the base Ambiente doesnt. Probably saves them $1.20.
4 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2015, 12:50 PM   #17
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Having kids in the rear seat they are long way from the air vents - and with the front driver and passenger seats in the way there is little air flow. Got to remember toddlers and babies and tucked up inside capsules and thick child seats - so can be very warm. Coupled with a big interior and cargo area the air just bakes in the sun. Once a car is travelling its probably ok, but the more air flow the better really.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:43 PM   #18
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Personally I think my Falcon is better equipped with its digital speedo which allows accurate speeds to be maintained to avoid any risk of speed camera fines. Even the titanium model doesn't have a digital speedo which I couldnt do without anymore (only because of those cameras).

Who needs blind-spot detection, pedestrian detection with auto-stop, enhanced Park Assist and lane departure warning when you are concentrating on your driving and know how to park?
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-04-2015, 08:47 AM   #19
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
Personally I think my Falcon is better equipped with its digital speedo which allows accurate speeds to be maintained to avoid any risk of speed camera fines. Even the titanium model doesn't have a digital speedo which I couldnt do without anymore (only because of those cameras).

Who needs blind-spot detection, pedestrian detection with auto-stop, enhanced Park Assist and lane departure warning when you are concentrating on your driving and know how to park?
Yes what happens when that stuff breaks down how much to fix. How much to fix after a low speed collision damages all the sensors. Are Ford liable in an accident if ''lane departure warning'' system fails.
I will be buying a car without all these fancy problems sorry safety features.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2015, 01:59 AM   #20
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Are Ford liable in an accident if ''lane departure warning'' system fails.
Now that's just silly. Irrespective of whatever driver aids are available, the driver has ultimate responsibility, and thus liability, for any accidents that they cause.

I welcome these driver aids, I think they're a great addition and much needed in this day and age to fix or prevent drivers' ****-ups which, believe it or not, happens. No driver is perfect. If there is a system that can help prevent or minimise collisions due to driver error, then there's no reason not to include them because some people like to live in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
For Falcon buyers there's a lot more choice out there than Mondeo - and for private buyers that were skewed to the turbo 6 and V8, there's Mustang, SS, HSV, performance Germans, Jaguar. I can't see the Falcon ute buyers plumbing for a Mondeo.
It's quite true that the Mondeo doesn't totally replace the Falcon - there are some Falcons (such as the ute, EcoLPi and XR8) that are simply irreplaceable with anything else in the Ford range anywhere in the world. But outside of all of that, I don't see why the Mondeo can't win over Falcon sales, such as it is at the moment.

What you say is quite right: that there is a lot of choice out there. But that would stand true today even while the Falcon still exists - there are a lot of choices out there that are cheaper and more feature packed than the Falcon for people that buy cars dispassionately. Toyota Camry, Mazda 6, Hyundai Sonata, Subaru Liberty etc are just as much competitors of the Falcon and Commodore as they are of the Mondeo.

But just as there are people that will buy Falcon because it's a Falcon, so will there be people, like myself, who will buy Mondeo over its competitors simply because it's a Ford.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2015, 09:37 PM   #21
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They really should have called this fusion. I'd personally not buy it simply for the fact it's a mondeo.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2015, 09:48 PM   #22
prydey
Rob

if i had the coin, i would buy one. i love my FG, but its the end of the road for falcon (i don't consider FG2 or even FGX to be enough of an upgrade to justify the spend) and i'm not one to hang on to cars for too long. i've had my FG for 5 years now and the only reason is the new ones are essentially the same but with a touch screen.

i love my fords, and tend to upgrade just to have a newer car and something different.

mind you, having said that, if i had the coin, i would also be shopping it against a ranger or a kuga.

i'm a one eyed ford fan and they have some great products at the moment, and it will only get better for me.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2015, 10:56 PM   #23
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really like it and are seriously considering a base wagon but... The base Ambiente doesn't come with rear air con vents. Honestly its a pretty big deal breaker, I'd be happy to give up the standard sat nav just to get the rear vents. Silly move when the up spec versions come with it.

The car that I think is probably better value is the new Outback, it has the Eyesight tech which is lane keep assist, adaptive cruise. They are colour cameras so can even pick up cars putting on their brake lights ahead. Ive driven one and the new generation is massive, and the build quality is about 10 times better than my Camry. Plus it has the standard AWD and 18 inch alloys so pretty good value for $35,990 for auto. Really expensive servicing though so would have to go independent - but partly offset by phenomenal resale.

I've registered at the local Ford mob when they get in the Mondeo for a test drive but the rear seat vents is annoying. Ecoboost should be easily the best engine in class so Ford could have a hit. Mondeo also has great cost of ownership with cheap servicing and free loan cars.

These new generation "midsized" cars are huge though, new Mondeo has a bigger boot than a 200 series Landcruiser.

Last edited by Brazen; 11-04-2015 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:25 PM   #24
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post

The car that I think is probably better value is the new Outback, it has the Eyesight tech which is lane keep assist, adaptive cruise. They are colour cameras so can even pick up cars putting on their brake lights ahead. Ive driven one and the new generation is massive, and the build quality is about 10 times better than my Camry. Plus it has the standard AWD and 18 inch alloys so pretty good value for $35,990 for auto. Really expensive servicing though so would have to go independent - but partly offset by phenomenal resale.
$35990? Really?
Where?
Cheapest one on carsales in $37k, and its a demo, and its a 2014
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2015, 11:47 PM   #25
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
$35990? Really?
Where?
Cheapest one on carsales in $37k, and its a demo, and its a 2014
Yeah 35,990 is before on roads. Which means if Ford is more willing to deal then the value argument could swing back to them. Shame no petrol in the Trend wagon.

I reckon Ford will add petrol to Trend and Titianium wagons downs the track.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:12 AM   #26
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
I really like it and are seriously considering a base wagon but... The base Ambiente doesn't come with rear air con vents. Honestly its a pretty big deal breaker, I'd be happy to give up the standard sat nav just to get the rear vents. Silly move when the up spec versions come with it.

I've registered at the local Ford mob when they get in the Mondeo for a test drive but the rear seat vents is annoying. Ecoboost should be easily the best engine in class so Ford could have a hit. Mondeo also has great cost of ownership with cheap servicing and free loan cars.

These new generation "midsized" cars are huge though, new Mondeo has a bigger boot than a 200 series Landcruiser.

Maybe ford thinks that most people won't buy a base model unless it's (for eg)a hire car. Certainly don't need rear vents then. Maybe it's one of those silly things they leave out on purpose to try n get people to up scale!

The Reps look like they're once again spoilt for choice as this looks impressive with its rear space in wagon form. Very good power outputs as well. And everything I've read has been positive with smooth shifts and none of that famous shuddering in dual clutches.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2015, 12:22 AM   #27
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
Maybe ford thinks that most people won't buy a base model unless it's (for eg)a hire car. Certainly don't need rear vents then. Maybe it's one of those silly things they leave out on purpose to try n get people to up scale!
Yeah it sounds like it, the problem is the Ecoboost in wagon form only comes in Ambiente. So you have to pay the diesel premium as well if you want to move up the range. I think Ford will change this over time but who knows.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:34 AM   #28
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

These new generation "midsized" cars are huge though,
If you're looking at interior space, features and excellent fuel economy, the alternative is not Subaru but Skoda Superb or even Octavia.

A couple of disappointing comments in those reviews but overall I think everybody will find Mondeo is an excellent car - if Ford pulls everything off right, which is an unknown quantity!
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2015, 10:13 AM   #29
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
If you're looking at interior space, features and excellent fuel economy, the alternative is not Subaru but Skoda Superb or even Octavia.

A couple of disappointing comments in those reviews but overall I think everybody will find Mondeo is an excellent car - if Ford pulls everything off right, which is an unknown quantity!
Yes I've checked out the Octavia, Skodas are such good value here the wagon starts at under 24k. They have a new AWD Octavia Scout which I've only sat in but very impressed. They allow a lot of options across the range including a $1690 bargain full panoramic sunroof. The Octavia gets rave reviews and I know someone who owns the petrol is averaging mid 5s in mixed driving. I prefer the larger size of the Mondeo though.

The bigger current Superb is getting on a bit but the new one looks very nice.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:43 PM   #30
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It looks alright, and i like the big boot area of the wagon, but the dual-clutch auto on the diesel would have me speed walking in the other direction, despite murmurs from some that say, they are "ok".
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post