Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 28-05-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
J.A.W.
Starter Motor

Default GTHO Fastest 4 - door

Excuse me if I am being boring & going over old ground, but has anyone ever fact checked that claim? Like compared contemporary road test results - just a thought but Jag XJ 12, MB 6.3, Maserati Quattroporte, Aston-Lagonda V8, those bigblock Mopar Highway Patrol interceptors & even the Soviet special KGB Zil V8 could have maybe out top-ended the Hoey?

Old 28-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
dannyxm
was danny888

You sir have really opened up a hornets nest.............................
Old 28-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wasn't the claim that it was the fastest production car at it's time? I.e. Back in the 70's when it was built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The Phase III was Australia's fastest four door production car for many years
Old 28-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Wasn't the claim that it was the fastest production car at it's time? I.e. Back in the 70's when it was built.
Fastest FOUR door production car in the world in 1971.
Old 28-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
Outback
Banned

Fastest four door pro car in the world and it never left Australia, the GTHO is the most over rate car ever.
Old 28-05-2010, 03:49 PM   #6
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback
Fastest four door pro car in the world and it never left Australia, the GTHO is the most over rate car ever.
Brave statement to be making on these forums, though I'd have to agree.

Fantastic resale though if you kept it original and prsitine and were prepared to hang onto it for 30 or 40 years
Old 28-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Fastest 4 door car in the world and thats overrated?! What do you want? for it to fly?
Old 28-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
aualright

Quote:
Oh...another with the dreaded cultural cringe - ie. if it isn't recognised o/s, then it mustn't be any good.

Old 28-05-2010, 09:52 PM   #9
gregmc
Starter Motor

Default gmc

Quote:
i think you have been in the outback far to long, i believe that it also went to nz.
Old 28-05-2010, 10:52 PM   #10
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkbits
Fastest FOUR door production car in the world in 1971.
Yes and was tested by I think Wheels mag on the Hume with the speedo past the 140 mph. The famous pic of the HO of the time.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 28-05-2010, 03:54 PM   #11
Scott

How can the GTHO be over-rated when there is nothing else to rate it against?
Old 28-05-2010, 05:28 PM   #12
JimNiki
71Mach1

what makes them special is that they were "REAL" race cars.
drive 'em to the track and drive 'em home!
I wish bathurst would go back to them good old days!

australian made cars only!
(ok, now that godzilla is banned, the fords may have a chance!)
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
Old 28-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #13
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

So, what exactly would you need to get the fastest 4 door car in the world these days? Considering that the Audi has a V10, the Merc, Jag, BMW etc all have very powerful forced or NA V8's...
Old 28-05-2010, 06:02 PM   #14
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
So, what exactly would you need to get the fastest 4 door car in the world these days? Considering that the Audi has a V10, the Merc, Jag, BMW etc all have very powerful forced or NA V8's...
as mentioned, building it isnt the issue. Making it cost effective is. I dont know what the warranty on cars in 1971 were, but you gotta make sure that the car you build doesnt blow up for 100,000 or 160,000 kms as well as it being the fastest car is a hard equation to balance for a reasonable price.

I dont think Ford could ever do that again as the brand just doesnt have the prestige to command the dollars to create such a car (As mentioned with the W427 example. Holden isnt a brand people will pay upward of $150k). Even the remade GT(40) didnt meet sales expectation (about 500 short). Even the price began to drop after the initial hype phase that saw Ford increase price premiums I believe.

The Australian spec Evo X (from what we were told by Mitsubishi) has reduced power (366kw VS 412ish rest of the world) as we get the 10 year drive train warranty that isnt offered anywhere else, making it more reliable.
Old 29-05-2010, 10:17 PM   #15
JC807
sucksqueezebangblow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez
The Australian spec Evo X (from what we were told by Mitsubishi) has reduced power (366kw VS 412ish rest of the world) as we get the 10 year drive train warranty that isnt offered anywhere else, making it more reliable.
you mean 366Nm, the evo x is 217kw.
Old 28-05-2010, 07:59 PM   #16
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
Bentley Flying spur? Porsche Panamera?
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 28-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #17
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
Bentley Flying spur? Porsche Panamera?
F6 would blow the Bentley into the weeds and would be locking door handles with the Verandah.

What factory 4 door sedan is faster than the F6?
Old 28-05-2010, 08:20 PM   #18
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
Well for starters; BMW M3 sedan, 335i sedan, M5 sedan... , my personal favourite the AMG C63 sedan...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Iyh9RAsw1E

There are plenty...

Old 28-05-2010, 09:06 PM   #19
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
F6 would blow the Bentley into the weeds and would be locking door handles with the Verandah.

Fastest, not 400metre drag times. F6 is a mere pimped taxi compared to these two big boys. The Brabus mercs are even faster, but do not quite fit the genre of production car.
And don't start with the flash tuned blah blah. Factory times and powers.

The GTHO was largely claimed as the fastest 4 door production car in its day, which is a huge achievement we will never see again from an aussie car. I do believe that the claim is correct
Long live the king
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 28-05-2010, 05:42 PM   #20
Outback
Banned

The GTHO 111 raced twice at Bathurst and won 1 and got smashed by the mighty XU1 Over rated yes it is the XU1 was a propose built race car also.
Old 28-05-2010, 05:50 PM   #21
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
The GTHO 111 raced twice at Bathurst and won 1 and got smashed by the mighty XU1 Over rated yes it is the XU1 was a propose built race car also.
The GT40 beat the Ferrari's and the other exotics of its time and then ford pulled funding. Does this mean because they won only 2 Le Manns that they are overrated? or that the next year a better model ferrari destroyed the GT40. Does that make the GT40 overrated?!

Or that a XT falcon will probably beat a GTHO around a track today? Even an E Gas might beat it along with your favouriate XU1.

I think you've missed the point...
2 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2010, 07:31 PM   #22
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez
The GT40 beat the Ferrari's and the other exotics of its time and then ford pulled funding. Does this mean because they won only 2 Le Manns that they are overrated? or that the next year a better model ferrari destroyed the GT40. Does that make the GT40 overrated?!
It actually won four in a row.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 28-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #23
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
It actually won four in a row.
and got beaten by a porsche
Old 28-05-2010, 08:56 PM   #24
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

Quote:
Which weighed next to nothing compared to the GTHO.
Old 28-05-2010, 09:00 PM   #25
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why must it always be the fastest car? Why does no one ever care about the slowest car? They are cars too!
Old 28-05-2010, 09:05 PM   #26
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
Why does no one ever care about the slowest car?
I do care about my car!!!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Old 28-05-2010, 09:04 PM   #27
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote V8
Which weighed next to nothing compared to the GTHO.
the weight was not the issue - the rain on the day was the issue when one of the cars was much lighter. similar thing i know, but the year before the lightweight pos could not get anywhere near the phase 3. nor the phase 2 the year before that

all race cars are built to race in dry conditions. in dry the little pos did not stand a chance against the greatest car australia has produced. it needed mother nature to turn her hand to give the pos a chance

and to answer the original posters question. it was the fastest four door production car of it's time. are any faster now - no doubt, but who cares. they needed 20-30 years of technology to do it on a regular basis
Old 30-05-2010, 01:57 AM   #28
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
the weight was not the issue - the rain on the day was the issue when one of the cars was much lighter. similar thing i know, but the year before the lightweight pos could not get anywhere near the phase 3. nor the phase 2 the year before that

all race cars are built to race in dry conditions. in dry the little pos did not stand a chance against the greatest car australia has produced. it needed mother nature to turn her hand to give the pos a chance
What do you expect when one car had a much more powerful 5.8L V8, and the other had a considerably less powerful N/A 3.3L 6? I think it's fair to say the XU1 was not made to be fast down the 1/4 like the GTHO was. Its strength came from its light, and nimble body/chassis. Whether it needed mother nature is completely irrelevent. Does this mean everytime a Ford won throughout the 60s, 70s, and 80s in the rain it only won, because of mother nature since every car was built to race in the dry?

It's a no brainer that in raw speed, and power that the GTHO creamed the XU1 easily. As it should've. I understand that it's a Ford forum, and the GTHO is a legend, but some common sense could be used.

Last edited by Ryan; 30-05-2010 at 02:10 AM.
Old 28-05-2010, 09:06 PM   #29
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Fair statement but it had to rain for the Torrie to have a chance, and 1971 it was HO 1st to 5th from memory and then got second the next year. correct me if i'm wrong here????
Old 29-05-2010, 09:35 AM   #30
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
actually the GTHO did`nt get smashed ......... , if you take the time to look look at the race you`d see the Torana won by good luck not by being superior race car at all.
Closed Thread