Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-07-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
AussieAV

Default Arrrrrgghh!! My New Car!!

Apologise for the double post, but I'm desperate for some feedback, and thought this area might be seen by more people than the "panel and paint" section where it is also posted.
Moderators - if you need to delete I understand.

Went to the dealer today to pick up my new FG XR6 50th Anniversary and there was a blemish in the paint. A stain on the roof about the size of a 20 cent peice just above the driver's door. The car is Sunburst in colour, and the best way to describe it is like a darkened patch, like someone spilled coffee or something. It is definitely within the paitwork, below the clear coat.

Dealer initially said to get it fixed at first service, but I said I would not take delivery until rectified to my satisfaction. Figured they'd be more inclined to keep me happy before they get my money, rather than after.

My question is, to those of you who know panel and paint, is can this be resolved to "as good as factory" condition, or is the paintwork on this car going to be permanently compromised? They seemed to indicate that the paint will need to be sanded back and redone in the area of the blemish. Bare in mind that this is a colour that appears metallic, and looks very different in sunlight compared to shade.

I guess my only other alternative is to dig my heals in and demand another new car, but as I had ordered the factory full size spare option, this could mean a lenghthy wait. I also imagine that the dealership won't exactly be pleased with this idea, as vehicle is already registered with my new personal plates, so could end up in a battle with them as well.

Help please, any advise will be much appreciated!

AussieAV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2010, 09:14 PM   #2
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

I do some work next to a panel shop who parks their cars on the street. At any one time there is about 4-5 brand new falcons waiting for get fixed. All kinds of local dealers have their cars their to have pre-delivery damage fixed.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
AussieAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx
I do some work next to a panel shop who parks their cars on the street. At any one time there is about 4-5 brand new falcons waiting for get fixed. All kinds of local dealers have their cars their to have pre-delivery damage fixed.

Pre-delivery fixes I get. In fact they fixed a scratch on front bar before I saw it, and I realise that transport is going to cause the odd nick, but this is a fault in the paint itself. Are they going to be able to match perfectly? Seen plenty of cars come out of a panel shop looking great, but a year or so down the track the repaired panel is weathering differently and looks like a completely different colour to the rest of the car.
Old 29-07-2010, 11:14 PM   #4
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It all come down to the spray painters ability . A good painter should not have a problem and the fact its on the steel it should make his job easier. Id be more worried that the painter would struggle to lower his standards to suit factory .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2010, 11:23 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Its a Metallic colour which means it is a clear over base, to get it perfect they will have to repaint the entire panel. My Nitro FG had to have it's whole side done just to get one dint out of a door.
Old 30-07-2010, 12:06 AM   #6
AussieAV

I managed to take a photo with a very basic phone camera, and the mark is only visible if you look at your screen from a wide or high/low angle (don't ask me why). Trust me, in real life it sticks out like the dog's proverbials! Again about the size of a 20 cent peice. Didn't need to point it out to the service manager when he came out, he spotted it straight away. It is not raised or anything, it is a discolouration of the paint.

Sorry it took a while to add photo, but I couldn't find cable that came with phone. Finally managed to get it off phone onto a laptop (once I worked out how to use bluetooth - mmm... me heaps good at technology)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo-0021.jpg (80.3 KB, 519 views)
Old 30-07-2010, 07:50 AM   #7
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Phone 13FORD and complain. Paint is a part of the warranty.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
dave289
Banned

A mate of mine used to repair damage for hyundai on brand new cars prior to delivery that had been damaged one way or the other. I would say yours may have been damaged previuosly and then sent to the panel beaters. It looks like a hard colour to match properly and could not be done by doing a small section,as mentioned the entire panel will need to be painted. most panel shops do an average job at best these days. personally I would want a new car as that is what I have paid for. on the up side it is on the roof so if you could find a good panel shop they would spray the roof ,which is better than having to do a door and have mismatched paint standing out because of other panels either side. the idea that you pick it up now and have it fixed at the first service is a joke, this WILL not happen so dont believe the bs. they will continually make up some reason why it could not be fixed and hope that you eventually get fed up with their bs and not bother about it anymore. knowing car dealers and panel beaters I would request a new car, save buying a new car that has been repaired, and also like you said earlier it may look good now but the clear may start to peel off long before the factory paint would of cause some of these panel shops are clowns . good luck with it, let us know how you go.

And snappy you must be kidding about a painter lowering his standards to achieve a factory finish. most spray painters could only ever dream of finishing something as good as a modern factory finish, dont know where you got that one from.

Last edited by dave289; 30-07-2010 at 09:24 AM.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2010, 09:41 AM   #9
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The dealer has not said he wont fix it has he or did i miss something here. The fact that it is registered with your plates means it's yours. They can and will fix it and they will need to do the whole panel to get it right. Just resolve the matter with the service manager and make sure it's to your satisfaction. Don't let this molehill become a mountain and dont let it spoil your enjoyment of your new car.You will get far further by being diplomatic than demanding and they will understand your feelings if you convey them without being overbearing. I have had many new Fords and some problems i have lived with because the rectification may have caused more damage than the actual fault and that was always my choice not the dealers. Be polite and prepared to compromise and you wont have any trouble getting it fixed properly.
Cheers
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #10
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
A mate of mine used to repair damage for hyundai on brand new cars prior to delivery that had been damaged one way or the other. I would say yours may have been damaged previuosly and then sent to the panel beaters. It looks like a hard colour to match properly and could not be done by doing a small section,as mentioned the entire panel will need to be painted. most panel shops do an average job at best these days. personally I would want a new car as that is what I have paid for. on the up side it is on the roof so if you could find a good panel shop they would spray the roof ,which is better than having to do a door and have mismatched paint standing out because of other panels either side. the idea that you pick it up now and have it fixed at the first service is a joke, this WILL not happen so dont believe the bs. they will continually make up some reason why it could not be fixed and hope that you eventually get fed up with their bs and not bother about it anymore. knowing car dealers and panel beaters I would request a new car, save buying a new car that has been repaired, and also like you said earlier it may look good now but the clear may start to peel off long before the factory paint would of cause some of these panel shops are clowns . good luck with it, let us know how you go.

And snappy you must be kidding about a painter lowering his standards to achieve a factory finish. most spray painters could only ever dream of finishing something as good as a modern factory finish, dont know where you got that one from.
Not a painter myself , But just going by what my painter tells me and that is factory finish is pretty ordinary personally it looks good to me but when a bloke reversed in to the side of my ute when it was repaired and painted the side that was repaired and painted was that much better then factory when you could compare so easily so i had them respray the whole thing.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #11
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do not take delivery of the vehicle. Request a new one. Once you have signed the form, it's all yours and the fun begins.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #12
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83
Do not take delivery of the vehicle. Request a new one. Once you have signed the form, it's all yours and the fun begins.
I agree, dont sign anything until you are happy, but request a new one? Seems pretty extreme when a good painter can resolve this issue inside of a week, as opposed to waiting weeks/months for another one.

Are the 50th Anniversary models limited editions? Will there be another one available?
Old 30-07-2010, 09:55 AM   #13
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

HOW did this pass final factory inspection ???????????????????????
Old 30-07-2010, 10:33 AM   #14
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the focus I bought not too long ago had paint swirls from a crappy wash job in the bonnet and the roof, they wanted to put me off till 3k service/inspection thing I called 13FORD, and my car all of a sudden got fixed the people that pick up the phones on the other end of that number have the capability to kick **** so hard its not funny, if you are unhappy CALL THEM NOW!

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #15
AussieAV

sorry, reply deleted

Last edited by AussieAV; 30-07-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 30-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #16
WASP
Whipple Induced

A very unfortunately situation which is a shame, but try to resist throwing the baby out with the bath water… just yet. Sometimes these things can happen unfortunately to the best of the car companies, even more expensive European manufactures.

I recommend you come to a mutually acceptable agreement and have this in writing from the dealer that they will have the car repaired to a new standard (respray the entire roof) to your satisfaction, or alternatively provide a replacement vehicle and a loan vehicle during the waiting period for the inconvenience.

If the dealer doesn't wish to do this then I would not be accepting the vehicle personally, however one benefit of waiting until first service is this gives you an opportunity to see if any other paint or body blemishes appear and then get them rectified at the same time. This comes down to a matter of trust and how good your relationship is with the dealer.

Whichever way you go best of luck with it and don't forget to enjoy your new car when it's sorted.
Old 30-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #17
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree that you shouldn't take delivery of the vehicle, isn't this one of the items on the delivery checklist that you have to say you're happy with before signing the final delivery document?

If you do choose to make a deal with the dealership and take delivery of the vehicle, make sure you get it in writing that they will fix the paint issue at first service to YOUR satisfaction, not theirs.

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #18
greens_tuf

IMO if you are forking out the cash for a new car, you should get what you are happy with. I wouldn't accept this, and to be honest I would probably want a new car too...

At the end of the day, I wouldn't accept anything that I wasn't happy with. If they fix it, make sure you are happy with the work.
greens_tuf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2010, 03:34 PM   #19
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty disappointing to have an obvious paint blemish like that - especially as it should have been picked up & rectified by the dealer during pre-delivery checking (or were they hoping that you wouldn't notice it & then think a bird/bat had taken a dump on the car after you had taken delivery....)
Hold onto your $$$ until it is repaired to your satisfaction, unless you desperately need the car for transport - in which case get the dealer to provide you with a written undertaking to recitfy at first service (to your satisfaction).
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #20
Chopped
as in chopped

What a bummer !

I saw your post in the Photoshop section about adding some wheels and you seemed very excited about getting your new car. Then this....
(Life sucks sometimes.)

Hopefully Ford will rectify the fault.
Old 30-07-2010, 04:57 PM   #21
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like bat poo and it was on the car and in the sun for a while before it was cleaned off.

Sometimes it can be polished out, sometimes it cant.

If it cant, as other have said, dont accept it and get the full roof sprayed as part of the predelivery... Just have to hope the dealer sends it to a good panel shop... Then you get to see the quality of the work before accepting the car.

I've had paint work done under warranty, and if you aren't happy with it (as I wasn't) its a s&%t fight and a half times 50 to get it fixed. In the end I didn't follow up as I didn't have the stomach for it anymore, and it would be a win for Ford.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2010, 05:50 PM   #22
gtfpv
GT

i feel sorry for you mate . my initial 1st thought is you should not take delivery . as someone pointed out it has to be signed off that you are happy with it .on a checklist .
but i would get proper legal advice 1st . thinking further into it . FORD and the dealer would have both picked this up . and in reality have tried to sell you a 2nd . ( make no mistake about it , thats what is being done here. they would have been better off getting it repaired before delivery and you may never have known.
when i picked up the GT brand new i specified no paint protection , which they said i'd be crazy not to get on silhouette for $1400 extra . upon delivery they told me thay couldnt bare that i was getting a black GT without paint protection , so they through it in for free . there and then i told them to get me another one and refused to take delivery of it on that basis . instant panic set in with them , the detailer pulled me aside and had a quiet word to me . he said they always apply it to black cars because it is easier to prep for pre delivery . they try to sell it 1st for $1400 and if the customer refuses they apply it for the ease of prep anyway . he then said its a load of crap and costs $70 to apply and wears off within a few washes , and i can polish it off with a polish anyhow , on that basis . i'm telling you this because sales crap is just that , they know whats wrong with a car , and whats been fixed in each and every case before the customer picks it up . in this case they've gambled with you .
on the other side of the coin . my GT was keyed 2 weeks after pickup on the rear quarter. i was distraught and took it to a panel beater of the dealers choice with a fix at my cost order , only to be told better to cut the paint back , minimising the depth of the scratch making it less obvious and then living with it , as they thought iwould pick the missmatch.
so this is why i say dont take delivery of it , if it can be fixed after it can be fixed before delivery . also they can sell you another one and onsell that one .
GET A LEGAL OPINION 1ST . but remember it is just a blemish , and anything can be fixed . this is poor pre delivery on fords behalf . it should not be your problem but thiers .

by the way . in 1997 i ordered a brand new EL XR8 it took 7 weeks delivery , something i queeried considering the car was instock when i odered it . they said the wait was due to the optional body kit delay . 8 years later getting minor damage repair done , the painter said "who repainted the roof" no one i said ive had it since new . just got a wierd look back . i was happy to know i never knew and me and no one i know ever picked it .

Last edited by gtfpv; 30-07-2010 at 05:59 PM.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2010, 05:56 PM   #23
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I wouldn't accept delivery.

I agree with the poster who queried whether or not other blemishes might appear later on. To be fair though, my understanding of paint isn't flash!

All the best with whatever you decide.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #24
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Wait for another new one... Dont accept this one if your not happy!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2010, 06:11 PM   #25
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

After the shockwave issues this is the last thing any new ford colour needs, Sunburst hey...........After the way the blue paint issues were originally treated dont take the car till the thing is perfect owners waited a long time till ford came to the party there.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #26
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Not good enough for a brand new car, things like this should be picked up and dealt with by the dealership before pick-up. Hope this doesn't turn out to be a common problem for Sunburst. All the best for a good result.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #27
Joshmcmillan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know if anyone else has heard anything about it, but when I was having a chat to the guy there after I picked up my shockwave car from getting resprayed he showed me a Territory in a similar orange color, and the top half of the car was a different shade of color to the bottom after very low k's... another major paint stuff up?

FG XR6 Turbo, 6 Speed Manual, Silhouette .

12/78 XC Ford Fairmont Project Car. (351, 5spd)
Build Thread: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11444473

1968 Ford F350 LWB Dually. 300 Six, 4 speed. Beavertail project.

Joshmcmillan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #28
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still think its a digestivelly challenged birds dropping or bat crap thats been left to bake in the sun.

Looks exactly what I used to get if a bat crapped on my EL.

Bit harsh jumping to conclusions about Ford's paint being crap. We know their history in that matter, but its usually panel mismatch or base material mismatch.

Either way, its happened before it was handed over, so its not the OP's problem to rectify.

Although it wouldnt surprise me if Ford are being cheap and not sending out their cars with the new car protective covers on the roof, boot and bonnet. I've seen alot of them being moved around on trucks unprotected, and this could lead to damage like this.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2010, 07:30 PM   #29
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in my experiences a factory paint job is the best.if the car is repaired i can guarantee it wont be as good as a factory paint job.i personally wouldnt take the car.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #30
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_landau
in my experiences a factory paint job is the best.if the car is repaired i can guarantee it wont be as good as a factory paint job.i personally wouldnt take the car.

measure for measure . factory paint is consistant around a vehicle . it is done by robots , human hands cannot do better than robots - think of welding consistancy , human hand versus robots .
comparing the two though is like is like comparing the taste of 2 oranges off different trees .
a proper proffessional paint job with time and effort would be far superior than a ford falcon single coat factory paint job , but would it be better than a premium euro vehicle factory paint job .
panel beaters paint work comes down to time and effort and products applied with experience involved as well . jojos panel repairs isnt going to do the same job as porsche spray painting specialists . in other words there is a great difference in paint finish on a $3000 job versus $30 000 .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post