Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 16-03-2013, 11:59 PM   #1
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Advice Needed - R1 collided with my GS at over 200km/h on Mitchell Fwy today

Was driving home from work today mid afternoon northbound on the Mitchell Freeway, casually cruising along at 100km/h in the far left lane, when all of a sudden I hear a thud and scuffing sound, and in the blink of an eye this Red YZF-R1 flies past my car, sans the rider, sideswiping me and careening down the road perfectly balanced, debris flying everywhere at a crazy excessive speed. All the while fluid from the bike sprayed all over my bonnet and car.

The thud was the rider hitting my car.

I had no freaking idea wtf was going on, I looked in my mirror and saw a dude ragdolling down the road in t-shirt and shorts and helmet, not even wearing gloves. Instantly I've thought "holy ****, I've killed someone". 4 lanes of cars screeched to a halt.

I pulled over and got out, and noticed heaps of cars pulled over. The rider SOMEHOW got up and stumbled to the side of the road.

As I've approached the people, I see a Lotus Super7 kit car also pulled over, with destroyed rear left fairings and obliterated rear left rim.

Witnesses say the rider was flying through traffic at what they estimated to be atleast 250km/h, he then got speed wobbles and lost control into the kit car, which was in the lane 2nd to left, got airborne off the kit car, sideswiped my car and splattered on my rear left quarter.

Had he been one foot to the right he would've taken to Lotus driver's head off, and a foot to the left he wouldve completely obliterated my driver's side, maybe even killed me.

Firey's and Ambo's attended, they couldn't get a word out of him, god knows how he survived, he was cut to ribbons. They took off with him without giving us his name.

Here's what aggravated me - Cops rocked up about 45 mins later, pulled over behind the tow truck briefly, pulled back out onto Fwy, pulled up behind my car for about 3 seconds, then just drove off? Didn't take statements or anything, just drove off.

What I need to know:
The bike had no number plate, and we weren't given the rider's name. WTF do I tell insurance?

The cops didn't bother to stop, so I reported it online, but they still should have investigated, this guy was endangering peoples lives, and breaking the law in more than one way!

I rang the cop shop, they had no clue about it, I rang a couple hospitals, they can't give out info of anyone admitted to emergency as it's confidential.

Where do I go from here?

I know I can report to my insurance company, but someone needs to be held liable. I'd relaly like to report the patrol car that arrived and somehow deemed it not worthy of their attention.

Here's 2 pics, one of the bike that somehow seems remarkably unscathed, everyone was in awe at how undamaged it was. The other is of the kit car, he hit it that hard that the Tacho somehow broke free of the dash and sucked into behind the dash completely.

Think of the force it must've taken to destroy that rim.

Dude is very lucky, should be locked up, could've killed someone.

2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
BlueStreak Circle D Converter
900+ rwhp thanks to Xtreme Ford Tuning
Old 17-03-2013, 12:45 AM   #2
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 
Default Re: Advice Needed - R1 collided with my GS at over 200km/h on Mitchell Fwy today

Your insurance company will chase it up I'm sure.

You did exchange details with some of the other witnesses?

Surprising that the police didn't take statements, sounds like a very serious incident.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 17-03-2013, 12:53 AM   #3
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Advice Needed - R1 collided with my GS at over 200km/h on Mitchell Fwy today

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
Your insurance company will chase it up I'm sure.

You did exchange details with some of the other witnesses?

Surprising that the police didn't take statements, sounds like a very serious incident.
Yep, exchanged details with two witnesses, and the driver of the car that was damaged.

I can't believe the cops didn't stop and attend. Sure, no one died, but it was stupidly dangerous, and it's a miracle no one was killed. A bike doing 200+ down the main freeway through Perth, crashing in to 2 people, nearly killing himself and others is what I would deem a very serious offence, and should be looked in to.

I'm contacting the news tomorrow, as the police pulled over briefly, and had not a single care in the world about what happened. Not to mention I or the other driver have no way at all to get this guy's details. He could get off completely scot-free, and most likely will.
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
Old 17-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazza View Post
Yep, exchanged details with two witnesses, and the driver of the car that was damaged.

I can't believe the cops didn't stop and attend. Sure, no one died, but it was stupidly dangerous, and it's a miracle no one was killed. A bike doing 200+ down the main freeway through Perth, crashing in to 2 people, nearly killing himself and others is what I would deem a very serious offence, and should be looked in to.

I'm contacting the news tomorrow, as the police pulled over briefly, and had not a single care in the world about what happened. Not to mention I or the other driver have no way at all to get this guy's details. He could get off completely scot-free, and most likely will.

I don't believe he will "get off" and I'm glad everyone is OK

Try reporting here, worked for us a while ago when a light plane went down near our remote community

http://www.perthnow.com.au/help/storytips

Old 17-03-2013, 12:45 AM   #5
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

What a frigging idiot.
Old 17-03-2013, 01:02 AM   #6
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go to the police and file an accident report . explain the situation they will give you an incident number. they will contact the hospital to get the riders details and will pass it on to the insurance company after they quote the incident number. if you follow this you should avoid paying excess

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
2 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2013, 01:08 AM   #7
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I lodged an incident report online, provided all the details I had. I have a report number to give to my insurance company, I just hope they find this guy, as I doubt he will be in hospital long, his injuries weren't life threatening by the looks of things.
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
Old 17-03-2013, 01:12 AM   #8
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

That's insane...!
The guy is lucky to be alive that's for sure.
Can't find any news on it online.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Old 17-03-2013, 01:12 AM   #9
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

That terrible, at least no one was hurt. A photo of the compliance plate would have been good. Not much help if it was stolen though. Keep pursuing with the police.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
Old 17-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Riding with no leathers/protective gear on at that speed .... well ... riding at that speed in traffic ... Temporary Australian.

Lucky both you and the guy in the Lotus/Caterham only had they damage ... could have been much worse.
Old 17-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #11
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

No Pics of damage to your car?
Old 17-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
05_ENFORCER

Hopefully that is one more idiot that will pull his head in when on the Perth freeways.

Gives bike riders a bad rap too

Old 17-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #13
The Monty
Just slidin'

If you could get the vin off the bike, you could work off that to get the rego and owners name etc.
This user likes this post:
Old 17-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #14
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

You sound like you have done all the right things, so now you just have to wait. I don't think he'll be getting off scott free. The police were more then likely trying to find out which hospital he was going to. And that's why they didn't hang around long, as that's the man they'll want for questioning. I'm sure you'll be contacted in the next few days. And I'll say it again, what an idiot. It dose give riders a bad name, he must of been on some hero pill.
Old 17-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #15
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

unless
he gets patched up quick enough and leaves the hospital
he doesnt have to tell them anything
he then just walks away scott free, all be it a little sore

lets hope the cops follow this up correctly
Old 17-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #16
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a chance the offender has been caught on one of those traffic cameras that scan the freeways. There is a chance the accident might have been on camera too. Not sure of the actions of the cops though. They should have got statements from you guys, even your name and address. Pretty obvious you were involved in an accident (with a possible unlicenced bike) which resulted in a guy being carted off to hospital.
Old 17-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #17
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Go into the station closest to where the accident happened, and ask to speak with the on duty sergeant. Advise that you've made an on-line report but you'd like to follow up with the officers who stopped and then left. Make a complaint against them.

Call the towing company who towed the bike (if you have their details). Ask them what the VIN on the bike is and then provide this to the police. They can search for the bike and provide the owner's name and address on the police report (which your insurance company can then access).

Call Ambulance WA and advise that you were involved in the incident and would like to know which hospital the rider is in, and his condition. You can ask for his contact number or the room at the hospital to enquire as to his health. You can then speak to him to get his details.
Old 17-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #18
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stolen bike i would say. just another criminal doing a job. vote lib or lab - green they support the criminals, because they are criminals as well.
Old 17-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #19
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thankyou for the swift replies everybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta God View Post
Go into the station closest to where the accident happened, and ask to speak with the on duty sergeant. Advise that you've made an on-line report but you'd like to follow up with the officers who stopped and then left. Make a complaint against them.

Call the towing company who towed the bike (if you have their details). Ask them what the VIN on the bike is and then provide this to the police. They can search for the bike and provide the owner's name and address on the police report (which your insurance company can then access).

Call Ambulance WA and advise that you were involved in the incident and would like to know which hospital the rider is in, and his condition. You can ask for his contact number or the room at the hospital to enquire as to his health. You can then speak to him to get his details.
The bike wasn't towed, I left ages after and the bike was still on the side of the road and everyone had left.

I am currently down south in Mandurah, and I visited the Mandurah station today. An officer there had a look on the computer and said that he has no idea why they didn't stop. He did however say they caught up with the perp in hospital. The dispatch report stated the perp said he simply "changed lanes and struck a vehicle". They then advised him to fill out a report when he is able to.

So obviously the guy is lying, most likely won't lodge a report, and the cops will be none the wiser.

After trying for ages, I was finally able to get hold of the Perth station today. The lady I spoke with said it is very odd that they didn't take our statements, as they now only have the rider's story, and he has no doubt lied about what happened. They don't have our sides of the story.

She asked her superior what to do, and then called me back, told me she will make up a small report with my details, and the details of the other driver and has forwarded it up the chain. I should hopefully receive a call from crash police in the very near future.

She did however state that upon a quick background check while I was on the phone, the rider has an "interesting" history. Unfortunately she could not provide his details as it is confidential at this point in time.

If this guy has a history of doing stupid ****, he MUST be held accountable. How long until he kills someone?

Could've killed me, and I'm not happy about it at all, especially if he gets away scot-free and I have to fork out for excess. Even if he is sued by my insurance for the repairs, he should still cop a big fat fine. Had this crash happened in peak hour on a week day, there's no telling how this would have all gone down.
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
Old 17-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #20
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thread needs pics of the human sqid for lols
3 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #21
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it was a HWY car anything like ours, they would have all your details from just pulling in behind you and having the camera check your number plate

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
Old 17-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #22
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would say the reason the Police didn't hang around was they wanted to get to the hospital and catch up with stupid before he does a runner.
As said probably a stolen bike so they needed to grab him up.
All you need to do is fill out a crash report on line, the insurance company will do the rest, Police will probably get a full statement from you later.
Old 17-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #23
irdonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the bike's still there from my observations today!
Old 17-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #24
b2tf
not here much anymore

I think if it were me I'd be calling my insurer and telling them everything that's happened. Ask them what to do - obviously you're not at fault and if there were other cars damaged at least it will not be your word against his.

I dare say they will contact police to find out what/how/when it happened and from there match it up with what you're saying.
Old 17-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #25
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Obviously the rider was a dick. But a few things that don't make any sense.
If he was riding as fast as Joe Public suggest, he would be dead no ifs or buts about it. a 100kmh crash in an average car would see a few deaths. A crash at that speed would leave the bike in a million bits, it looks pretty good in the pics.
Cops not doing their job! FFS that is what we employ you to do so go and do it!
And lastly, FFS, no one was killed so stop carrying on about it.
Just give your insurance company what details you have and make them do thier job. This why you pay a premium every year.
4 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #26
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMax View Post
Obviously the rider was a dick. But a few things that don't make any sense.
If he was riding as fast as Joe Public suggest, he would be dead no ifs or buts about it. a 100kmh crash in an average car would see a few deaths. A crash at that speed would leave the bike in a million bits, it looks pretty good in the pics.
Cops not doing their job! FFS that is what we employ you to do so go and do it!
And lastly, FFS, no one was killed so stop carrying on about it.
Just give your insurance company what details you have and make them do thier job. This why you pay a premium every year.
Wow. Have you considered taking on a job as a crash investigator?

No need for them to even investigate, just give you a few details and you'll tell them exactly how it played out.

Dude, what would you know? Serious, What the **** would you know?

If I have my cruise control set to 100km/h and a bike has a collision with another car and THEN sideswipes my car and it continues down the road at a speed FAR greater than mine, then one can only come to the conclusion that the bike was travelling at a very high speed.

But hey what would I know? Maybe we were all travelling at 20km/h and he hit us at 40km/h. You tell me, genius.

As for the rest of your reply, if you're not interested in this thread, then get out tough guy.
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
2 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2013, 12:18 AM   #27
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazza View Post
Wow. Have you considered taking on a job as a crash investigator?

No need for them to even investigate, just give you a few details and you'll tell them exactly how it played out.

Dude, what would you know? Serious, What the **** would you know?

If I have my cruise control set to 100km/h and a bike has a collision with another car and THEN sideswipes my car and it continues down the road at a speed FAR greater than mine, then one can only come to the conclusion that the bike was travelling at a very high speed.

But hey what would I know? Maybe we were all travelling at 20km/h and he hit us at 40km/h. You tell me, genius.

As for the rest of your reply, if you're not interested in this thread, then get out tough guy.
Don't think he was being a 'toughguy' just that at 250kph on a bike you'd be dead and the bike would be a wreck. If everyone was just doing 100kph (since when does that happen, not saying you were speeding but since when does everyone but one lone bike rider do the speed limit on a freeway?) then he could have even just been doing 120-130 and easily zooming through traffic.

And its not like people are denying the story or denying the crash just that Joe Publics 'expert' guesstimate that he was doing 250, crashed and just got up walking around is ridiculous.
4 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2013, 01:10 AM   #28
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sory but how are you any more of an "expert" than the witnesses that actually witnessed it?

And I never said he got up and simply waltzed around without a care in the world. Yes he got up after a minute or so, screaming, bleeding and skin hanging everywhere, fingernails hanging off and slowly limping to the side of the road. He may have had any number of internal injuries. It just appeared not to be what I would deem life threatening at the time, as he did get up, no doubt pumping with adrenaline. But hey, im no medical expert, perhaps someone on here can telle the exact injuries he would have sustained?

I have a good friend who was once riding his motorcross bike offroad, flat tack 5th gear powerband (about 120ish km/h), hit a massive wooden power pole head on, the forks broke free of the top triple clamp, went flying up the road and he landed on the forks and the pin that goes theough the headstock impaled his right side of his chest. He had a broken pelvis and broken fingers and cracked ribs. He was conscious the whole time, and hes fine.

This rider yesterday collided with cars going the same direction, hardly a head on impact with a stationary object.
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
Old 17-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #29
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I agree. If it happened at the speeds suggested there would not be much of the rider left.
Old 17-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #30
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

250? Nope.
That bike almost looks rideable. Your shock at what happened and the bike being so damn close to you would have seemed like it "flew" past you.

The main reason is he was up and moving and not spread all over the road...I've unfortunately seen the results of an impact of a head on with a bike (BMW R series tourer) with a car at 110 (car was doing 100 coming the other way) and the biggest part of the bike left was the main part of the engine and the shattered wheels. The rider and pillion (two people from our bike club) weren't pretty, and they had full leathers and full face helmets.
Closed Thread