Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default VIC hoon laws more severe

Seeing as they are working so well now its obviously cleer you make the laws more severe......what was the definition of insanity again??

http://www.caradvice.com.au/120551/v...from-48-hours/

Quote:
Victorian hoons to get cars impounded for 30 days, up from 48 hours
By Brett Davis | May 26th, 2011

Anti-hoon laws in Victoria have just tightened up even further. First-offense hoon drivers will have their cars impounded for 30 days instead of the current 48 hours. The new laws will go into action as of July this year.

Second-time hooners will lose their cars for three months and risk having their car taken from them permanently if caught a third time. Victorian Roads Minister Terry Mulder recently said these new, more stringent changes will be the toughest laws to be put in place in the state, and he hopes it will send out a stern message to certain road users. Mulder said in a recent AAP report,

“It’s going to hurt their pockets, it’s going to have them on the footpath walking rather than driving, but we’re determined to get on top of this.”

Hoon driving includes burnouts, drag racing, repeated driving while disqualified, overloading passengers into cars and high-range speeding. According to the Victorian Police website, ‘improper use of a motor vehicle’ accounts for 48.4 percent of recorded hoon offenses. ‘Excessive speed’ closely follows, making up 39.3 percent. Interestingly, ‘conduct, engage in race, speed trial’ only accounts for 0.9 percent, while ‘careless driving’ only makes up three percent of recorded offenses.

The new laws were announced last night and could affect parents of hoon drivers as well. If a hoon is caught in their parent’s car, it will be impounded as if it is their own car. Parents will then need to go to court to fight to get it back. Mulder said,

“The stigma of having your parents to have to go to the court and go through that process, you wouldn’t want to be the young person involved in it.”

After a hoon driver is convicted, he or she will also have to pay the costs of having the car towed and put into lockup, and could face a fine of up to $2389 if convicted of speeding 45km/h over the limit.
Old 26-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: VIC hoon laws more severe

Makes me laugh you get a way more severe punishment for spinning the wheels off at the lights than if you drink and drive.

Also:

"Overloading passengers in cars".

How is that a "Hoon" offence?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
"Overloading passengers in cars".

How is that a "Hoon" offence?
the word hoon means nothing in the context of the law - they need an noun/adjective to use as a blanket description, so chose hoon. we all have our own ideas of what hooning is, and they are probably all very similar.
however the government cannot make a "driving like a d1ck head law" - so "hoon" is used. to me the term hoon is a good choice, even if driving with too many people in the car is not technically hooning

whether they are right or wrong, they are trying to stop "stupidity putting people's lives at risk" and having 7-9 people in a car is a fair example of "stupidity putting people's lives at risk" and of course, general hooning is covered by that description too
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

I'm a Victorian P plate driver and have no problem with this being introduced. The sooner we get braindead morons off the road the better!
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfpv
I'm a Victorian P plate driver and have no problem with this being introduced. The sooner we get brain dead morons off the road the better!
If it hasn't worked so far what makes you think that this will work??
Old 26-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

What happened to innocent until proven guilty? With the hoon laws, do they even need video evidence of you doing something wrong to book you under them?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2011, 09:53 PM   #7
Qwik6
Unsafe @ any Speed

SA has had this for a while now.

Mine got impounded for wheel spin away from the lights.
It'll still be another 6+months before I go to court for it.
You get part of the punishment before you are proven guilty.

By HEINRICH PERFORMANCE & TUNING

E Series Falcon Image Museum on FB
https://www.facebook.com/pages/E-Ser...29864000453208
Qwik6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 04:38 AM   #8
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik6
SA has had this for a while now.

Mine got impounded for wheel spin away from the lights.
It'll still be another 6+months before I go to court for it.
You get part of the punishment before you are proven guilty.
law is an *** in SA.... only takes another two not really hoonish related like a dui or driving disqualified charges over a TEN year period and they try and take your car for good.......
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2011, 10:18 PM   #9
ray38l

Why people in Victoria aren't protesting in the streets over the way there government treats them like idiots i will never know.
So the government is proud of the fact that they are going to make an innocent car owner go to court and incur costs because there son or daughter did something wrong? Bloody crazy.
I have never been to Victoria and i never will when they allow the theft of innocent peoples cars. I would be to scared to go near a vehicle down there.
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2011, 10:44 PM   #10
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray38l
Why people in Victoria aren't protesting in the streets over the way there government treats them like idiots i will never know.
So the government is proud of the fact that they are going to make an innocent car owner go to court and incur costs because there son or daughter did something wrong? Bloody crazy.
I have never been to Victoria and i never will when they allow the theft of innocent peoples cars. I would be to scared to go near a vehicle down there.
Have to agree,unfortunately we have to abide by these ridiculous rules.I wonder what stupid rule they will introduce next year when this doesn't work. I think it's about time these diicks do something more productive and sit down and work out a real solution.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #11
LOWBA6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As above SA has had it for a while. A mate is in the same boat, he got accused of doing something he didnt do (witnesses to prove) and is getting taken to court over it. Another instance he was reported by an off duty cop for something and they came and took the car off him. Still has to go to court over that yet.... Sucks being in such a small community because you get accused of something then get harassed even if you weren't in the wrong!!!
LOWBA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #12
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

I hope a "hoon" takes out the braindead morons that keep thinking up this tripe.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #13
robbo11

well this is just ********
robbo11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2011, 10:50 PM   #14
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So basically what they have realized is there is even more money to make than they already are.
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #15
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Meh, dont act like an idiot on the road and it will never affect you.
Old 26-05-2011, 11:04 PM   #16
ray38l

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar
that's the problem it doesn't just affect the person who is considered guilty before getting the chance to prove themselves innocent. It also affects the person who owns the car and the government seem proud of the fact that they are making innocent people pay.
Old 27-05-2011, 12:03 AM   #17
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
that's the problem it doesn't just affect the person who is considered guilty before getting the chance to prove themselves innocent. It also affects the person who owns the car and the government seem proud of the fact that they are making innocent people pay.
No what govco is doing is removing the loop hole of dimwits thinking they have a free ride if its not their car.

Along with ownership of a vehicle comes responsibility, if you allow that vehicle to be driven by other parties, you are responsible for what happens to it, if it causes property or personal damage, you as the owner are the one that gets sued.

This is what is needed to get the message across to mums and dads when they let junior drive their car without a second thought. Now they will/should have a good think whether they can trust their kid to be doing the right thing in their car when they take it out, its called being responsible.

So what if the kid just takes the keys without the parent's permission. Now its tricky for the parents, they can claim theft(because that's what it is when someone removes your property without your permission) and their car wont be impounded, or they can say the car was taken with their permission and have it impounded. If they cant trust their kids, dont leave the keys lying around....its called responsibility.

Is confiscating cars for a month going to work? with a big fine, maybe, but in my view that need to get really serious.....crushing, 5 year licence cancellations.....big consequences.

Quote:
are you serious!?
How long since you were a p plater? I had a stock standard car fully legal when i was on my p's and every weekend i was pulled over and asked to open my bonnet so they could try and find something sometimes twice in a night. .
I was a p plater in the 70s, guessing Ive probably been driving longer than you've been alive. Only time Ive had to take my licence out of my wallet was at renewal time, only time Ive had a policeman come near my car is for a random breath test......suggest maybe you are approaching it all wrong.

Last edited by sudszy; 27-05-2011 at 12:09 AM.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 12:46 AM   #18
ray38l

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy
I was a p plater in the 70s, guessing Ive probably been driving longer than you've been alive. Only time Ive had to take my licence out of my wallet was at renewal time, only time Ive had a policeman come near my car is for a random breath test......suggest maybe you are approaching it all wrong.
i suggest you are being very selective in what you have quoted as to what i actually said. Nothing unusual for you there.
What i said was this cop was out to get me. (i do know why it was a personal matter). Had he had this power of treating me guilty without proof my car would have been confiscated for no reason.
But wait i could always appeal people like would say. Well it would be hard to afford with no job because of no car.

Is there actually a law that says you are responsible for what a LICENSED driver does in your car? If there is there shouldn't be.

So sudszy you have no problem with someones car being taken off them for a crime they did not commit? To me its equivalent to theft only done by the state.
Is taking a car off someone who is well off going to stop them doing it again? Obviously taken cars off people isn't solving the problem because they wouldn't have to make the consequence's harsher if the idea was working.

The whole law is to make people like you think they are doing something good. Who cares if it doesn't work right?
Old 27-05-2011, 02:47 AM   #19
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
i suggest you are being very selective in what you have quoted as to what i actually said. Nothing unusual for you there.
?
Lol, how could I be selective, when I quoted your whole post :
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...9&postcount=15

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...1&postcount=24

Yeh, fairly typical here, when people have no comeback for what they have written or realise its stupid then claim they have been quoted out of context etc......

Quote:
So sudszy you have no problem with someones car being taken off them for a crime they did not commit? To me its equivalent to theft only done by the state.
?
I think its very clear what i wrote? Owning a car is in many ways no different to owning a gun, they are both lethal weapons when used inappropriately.

If the gun is used by someone other than the owner and involved in an illegal activity and the weapon siezed, you are going to carry on about the poor innocent gun owner?
Its the owners responsibility to know where that gun is and not allow it to be used by irresponsible people and/or to keep it locked away from them.

there is recourse for both gun and vehicle owners if they can prove that the gun/car was stolen and that they had taken reasonable steps to secure them...one reason why it is an offence to leave keys in a vehicle.

Last edited by sudszy; 27-05-2011 at 03:01 AM.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2011, 11:05 PM   #20
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Problem is when you have a lowered car nice wheels and it's kept in pristine condition you will be targeted regardless of your driving habits.We have been branded and it's only going to get worst.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2011, 11:11 PM   #21
gtxb67

Quote:
i agree - i haven't had any problems with the cops in almost 24 years of driving. i have always been polite and accommodating and they have never given me any grief. a couple of tickets, but they could have given me more on occasions. my mates on the other hand drove like idiots most of the time, gave them grief and surprise, surprise . . . ended up with many more tickets and yellow stickers

if you cannot get your car off the line without a wheelspin almost 100% of the time, then you should not be driving. a copper is very unlikely to get you for a small wheelspin if he thinks there were mitigating circumstances for it and he thinks you are not an idiot. i find it amusing, that some complain about speed cameras, because even coppers think they are for revenue and not safety and then worry about these rules. a copper will not give you grief unless he believes you deserve it

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI POWER
Problem is when you have a lowered car nice wheels and it's kept in pristine condition you will be targeted regardless of your driving habits.We have been branded and it's only going to get worst.
i haven't been targeted, so at present cannot see what the problem is
Old 26-05-2011, 11:25 PM   #22
ray38l

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
i agree - i haven't had any problems with the cops in almost 24 years of driving. i have always been polite and accommodating and they have never given me any grief. a couple of tickets, but they could have given me more on occasions. my mates on the other hand drove like idiots most of the time, gave them grief and surprise, surprise . . . ended up with many more tickets and yellow stickers

if you cannot get your car off the line without a wheelspin almost 100% of the time, then you should not be driving. a copper is very unlikely to get you for a small wheelspin if he thinks there were mitigating circumstances for it and he thinks you are not an idiot. i find it amusing, that some complain about speed cameras, because even coppers think they are for revenue and not safety and then worry about these rules. a copper will not give you grief unless he believes you deserve it

i haven't been targeted, so at present cannot see what the problem is
are you serious!?
How long since you were a p plater? I had a stock standard car fully legal when i was on my p's and every weekend i was pulled over and asked to open my bonnet so they could try and find something sometimes twice in a night. it was the same cop every weekend. This only stopped after i made an enquiry as to why i was being targeted. I was told i wasn't but magically i never got pulled over again when driving in newcastle on weekends.
I know that most of the cops are genuine guys but had this guy had these powers back then he would have abused them and i would have been out of a car for a while.
Until they can guarantee that no police officers will abuse this law they shouldn't even contemplate bringing it in.
Old 26-05-2011, 11:31 PM   #23
gtxb67

Quote:
are you serious!?
yes i am
when a p plater, i used to live out in the middle of no where and the only thing that was there was a long road with the quarter mile marked on it. i was picked up approximately 11 times within a kilometre of home over the 2 years of my p plates - you know what - that is their job. did they persecute me - no, they just wanted to check out why my coupe was in an area where a drag strip was marked. one time they pulled me over directly opposite our land. i had no license on me, nor no front number plate. they asked where my license was and i pointed to our house which was around 50 metres away. did they make me walk the 200 metres to our driveway and then the other 50 to the house to prove it - no. they let me off

i do not understand why some people believe they should drive a hot car and not be checked out. get over it - you want attention from everyone else, then surprise, surprise, you will get some from coppers too. if you are polite to them they will generally always let you go

then again, maybe i just have respect for everyone

Last edited by gtxb67; 26-05-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Old 26-05-2011, 11:29 PM   #24
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
i agree - i haven't had any problems with the cops in almost 24 years of driving.
I don't have trouble with police (never really did) but I still don't agree with it.

But it seems people just bend over and take it really.
Old 26-05-2011, 11:36 PM   #25
ZcAmbo

Looks like they dont learn just got home from work going down cherry lane what do i see about 100 odd cars parked on the side of the road some blocking the street doing burnouts every where (mainly four bangers cos the roads nice and wet lol)
ZcAmbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 01:40 AM   #26
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZcAmbo
Looks like they dont learn just got home from work going down cherry lane what do i see about 100 odd cars parked on the side of the road some blocking the street doing burnouts every where (mainly four bangers cos the roads nice and wet lol)
They were also filming Highway patrol in cherry lane tonight. Everyone took off when the cops rocked up and the cops pulled 1 car over with 2 unmarked police cars and the film crew jumped out of the second car. Seen them as I was driving past, had to dodge a few cars coming out of Cherry lane.

I would like to see them add drink driving to hoon laws and then when a polly get's the governments car impounded we can all laugh.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 01:50 AM   #27
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
I would like to see them add drink driving to hoon laws and then when a polly get's the governments car impounded we can all laugh.
Won't happen. DUI seems to effect the voters that can kick the government out of power.
Old 26-05-2011, 11:45 PM   #28
No.6

Sounds good. They should introducte tougher laws nation wide.

Drive like a d!ck on public roads and get the book thrown at you. Behave and you will have nothing to worry about. Like gtxb67 said, lower your car, throw nice rims on it, custom paint job...no problem. So what if you get pulled over by police? If you dont have anything to hide, whats there to be scared of?

When i was on my p's, i was driving through sydney cbd (50km/h limit) at 75-80km/h down george st. Got pulled over by cops and they let me off with a warning and were really nice about it because i was cooperative and showed them respect. I didnt try to argue or explain that if i hadnt sped off from the lights i wouldn't have been able to get in front of the traffic to make my turn, i just let them talk to me and agreed my behaviour was silly.
No.6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2011, 11:54 PM   #29
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$2389 if convicted of speeding 45km/h over the limit.

!!what the!!
Sitting on 145 in the middle of nowhere with no one around never hurt anyone!

Sadly these are the only times I get caught speeding, when its safe to...

I have no respect :-)

Why dont they give thousands of dollars in fines to people who make mistakes, real mistakes like not giving way? Much more dangerous...
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 12:07 AM   #30
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
$2389 if convicted of speeding 45km/h over the limit.

!!what the!!
Sitting on 145 in the middle of nowhere with no one around never hurt anyone!

Sadly these are the only times I get caught speeding, when its safe to...

I have no respect :-)

Why dont they give thousands of dollars in fines to people who make mistakes, real mistakes like not giving way? Much more dangerous...
I think it's 30+ over you lose your license for 3 months min.
45+ over you lose you licence for 6 months min.
This is in NSW.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post