Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
wally1990
Starter Motor

Default Year Of New Ford Falcon Body Shape

Hey,
Have my work ute ordered...
Was wondering when the new shape was coming in for the Ford Falcon?

wally1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Default Re: Year Of New Ford Falcon Body Shape

2015 if at all
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

There is an update of the current shape (so nothing big) at the end of the year. 2016 will be a new one shape or an imported Taurus.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
wally1990
Starter Motor

Thought it wouldn't be next year but didn't think it'd be that far away.
Our work cars are re-newed every 3 years so it looks like the one after this will probably be in just before the new shape comes out...
What's the Taurus? Where's it from?
Old 08-09-2011, 11:48 PM   #5
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
There is an update of the current shape (so nothing big) at the end of the year. 2016 will be a new one shape or an imported Taurus.
Won't be an imported taurus....IMHO
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1

Coming from you that gives me hope for the future - I'd almost resigned myself to learning to accept the Taurus (albeit in stretched CD4 form) as the new Falcon come 2016

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Im still setting a goal of buying a F6 before the I6 is phased out and it would be a keeper.

I just wish Ford would say something positive about the future and not some wish washy spin, it would settle buyers nerves, supply chain etc. Waiting....
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Im still setting a goal of buying a F6 before the I6 is phased out and it would be a keeper.

I just wish Ford would say something positive about the future and not some wish washy spin, it would settle buyers nerves, supply chain etc. Waiting....
I'd say that's an astute move and to be honest I reckon one of the last inline 6 F6's could be a good investment.

I just picked up the Sept Wheels, (it takes a while to get to N.Z.) and all over it there's the last falcon this and the new Taurus that and all about the one world Ford and all that and OMG I am somewhat depressed.

FPV cars drive very well but they are getting further and further behind with cutting edge technology and if they think loyal customers are going to accept this re-hashed Taurus....
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
I'd say that's an astute move and to be honest I reckon one of the last inline 6 F6's could be a good investment.

I just picked up the Sept Wheels, (it takes a while to get to N.Z.) and all over it there's the last falcon this and the new Taurus that and all about the one world Ford and all that and OMG I am somewhat depressed.

FPV cars drive very well but they are getting further and further behind with cutting edge technology and if they think loyal customers are going to accept this re-hashed Taurus....
1) why would you show the current Taurus as the Falcon's replacement when it too will be replaced long before 2016?
2) Would you buy the last I-6 Turbo F6s knowing FPV will release a twin Turbo V6 that blows it away?
3) Would you chose the last of the 5.4 Bosses over it's replacement, a S/C 5.0 V8?

None of us knows what we will be doing or thinking by the time 2016 rolls around,
I'd suggest keeping an open mind to what technology is being offered as a replacement...

Remember there were poor fools thinking they were sitting on a gold mine
with the last of the Holden Red sixes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #10
Scott

Quote:
Locally produced?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Locally produced?
Well IMO the longer the decision is held off the more likely it will be based on something else.

Typically the development cycle for a brand new model, even off an existing platform is 5 years. That means by the end of this year or mid next they have to make a decision. My concern is the silence in the mean time, the media will be all over it and it doesnt help anyone; although I understand you cant say anything until you know whats going on. Id even be happy with some positive marketing BS.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 10:41 PM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Well IMO the longer the decision is held off the more likely it will be based on something else.

Typically the development cycle for a brand new model, even off an existing platform is 5 years. That means by the end of this year or mid next they have to make a decision. My concern is the silence in the mean time, the media will be all over it and it doesnt help anyone; although I understand you cant say anything until you know whats going on. Id even be happy with some positive marketing BS.
No. it's 4 years, FG was started in 2004 and delivered in 2008 with almost 6 month pause in 2006.
I would expect that Ford will need a February green light to deliver a 2016 Falcon.

Ford looked at Taurus but are s developing their own proposal, we know that because Styling Manager,
Jay Mays has been reviewing it and to me, that sounds like FoA are doing another own design....

So what does that tell you?

Maybe another RWD Falcon will get a spin post 2015/16
Old 09-09-2011, 09:58 PM   #13
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Locally produced?
Yes, is the emphasis on imported or Taurus?
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #14
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Taurus is a Ford from the states.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #15
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Taurus is a Ford from the states.
It also isn't available in Ute form.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #16
wally1990
Starter Motor

I also heard from one of the guys from work that Ford was going to discontinue the Falcon.. Maybe this was what he was saying..? He said that the Mondeo was going to become the new Falcon as the Mondeo was smaller..
Old 05-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #17
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally1990
I also heard from one of the guys from work that Ford was going to discontinue the Falcon.. Maybe this was what he was saying..? He said that the Mondeo was going to become the new Falcon as the Mondeo was smaller..

The cars are classed under different categories so it's not gonna be a Mondeo. It could be a taurus, Ford Australia could get the Global Rear Wheel Drive program so the Falcon could live. I would just wait till Ford announces anything because things change and not definite decision has been made.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:42 PM   #18
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally1990
Falcon is here until 2016.
If all goes to plan, it will remain after that date too..
Old 06-09-2011, 01:28 AM   #19
eleanor67
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Falcon is here until 2016.
If all goes to plan, it will remain after that date too..
man i hope so, it will be sad day if we lose it imo.
eleanor67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 02:02 AM   #20
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't claim to be an expert, but I reckon LiLPG will bring volume up to <2000 a month, and Ecoboost I predict to add to another 5-700 a month initially, bringing volumes to sustainable levels (for an all new model) . I predict it will taper off mid 2012 but won't get as low as this year. I hope management are waiting until these two models take off before making a decision, as I believe they will turn Falcon's fortunes around.
Also some of the veterans should remember how badly the Taurus flopped when it was sold here, and how large FWD cars just don't sell as well as large RWD ones. Ironically the risk-averse FWD layout would be too risky to adopt, that strategy only works for Camry because of the exports...
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 02:33 AM   #21
hawker

The FWD Magna and 380 did ok here, but I think people saw a massive gap in the prices. A FWD Magna was pretty cheap compared to either a Commodore or Falcon...

Be interesting to see what happens. That said, a FWD Falcon with a V6 will never really be a Falcon IMHO... The only thing I'm wondering about is why they'd be thinking of going to FWD, considering Commodore has a V6 and they've stayed RWD... But anyway...
hawker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #22
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

LPI & Eco boost should see Falcon back up to 2300 - 2500 sedans a month and around 900 utes a month..

That means if Territory stays at around 1400 (yes its at 1600 + but wont stay there) then that will give them nearly 5000 cars a month again, which should put them back in the black. I reckon they could have milked another 500 Falcons and 300 Falcon utes if they made the 2.7 Diesel available across the range, but this would have offset ecoboost.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2011, 09:17 PM   #23
fordfreak1

there is already a massive thread on the new falcon hype.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:20 PM   #24
mickbundy

http://watoday.drive.com.au/motor-ne...908-1jz0l.html

Article on the net today only concept but looks good

Last edited by mickbundy; 09-09-2011 at 12:21 PM. Reason: link worked
mickbundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 03:27 AM   #25
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Its of course possible to develop them quicker with more resources, which its very likely the next Falcon would have, whether its a CD4 top hat or utilises Mustang front structure.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #26
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
Its of course possible to develop them quicker with more resources, which its very likely the next Falcon would have, whether its a CD4 top hat or utilises Mustang front structure.
Work on a post 2015 Falcon is still continuing.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #27
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Bob Graziano has said that there is substantial update planned for the E8 in 2013.

As for the future after that, I think what we will see here is locally produced CD4-based cars, with Mustang and some kind of 4 door RWD car imported. Refer to Mays' recent comment about a "migration plan" for the Falcon's future.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #28
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
As for the future after that, I think what we will see here is locally produced CD4-based cars.....
Work is still progressing on FoA's preferred option.;)

Quote:
Bob Graziano has said that there is substantial update planned for the E8 in 2013.
If he gets this, then evolving to a next gen RWD Falcon and the approval process becomes far, far easier.....

This has been the MO adopted by FoA for decades, constantly evolve/upgrade the Falcon to:
1) Keep it fresh in the eyes of buyers but more importantly,
2) Secure next evolution by making the local design cheaper than adopting an import product.

Last edited by jpd80; 10-09-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:12 AM   #29
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Work on a post 2015 Falcon is still continuing.
Did i say otherwise? All i said that with more resources they can do the job quicker, and given the likely paths of either tagging along with Mustang or tagging along with CD4, either will likely give them a much larger engineering pool than theyve ever had.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #30
Rodge
Banned

Point 1 is agreed, well sort of. Future SHO Taurus will probably be AWD with all the inherent inefficiency of AWD systems and may have U.S. designed suspension.
Point 2. Well the Wheels article quite plainly eluded to the fact that the new twin turbo V6 isn't as grunty as the inline six in the F6, not as much power and not nearly as much torque delivered through an inherently less efficent AWD system, what's to like compared to the iconic inline six ?
Point 3 - Not sure how you could draw that inference from what I posted earlier, (see signature for FPV allready owned)

5 years is a long time and whilst I agree anything can happen, clouds appear to be gathering on the distant horizon and i'm not sure I like the shape of them.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post