Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-12-2007, 09:06 PM   #1
GTS_300_Coupe
Mandy Moore FTW!

Default The Australian SAS is on par with the most elite American Special Forces

Delta Force is regarded as the most elite, highest trained and most combat effective strike force the US military has under their government and British and Australian SAS are highly respected among them.

I was just reading their wikipedia page which provides links also for all evidence of information.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Force

Quote:
"On many occasions, Delta Force will cross-train with similar units from allied countries such as the Australian SASR, British SAS, the Canadian JTF 2, the German KSK and the Israeli Sayeret Matkal as well as helping train other U.S. counter-terrorism and national intervention units, such as the FBI's HRT."
Here's the Australia wiki page for SAS:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austral...rvice_Regiment

Also talks about their training and enlistment process for Delta and SAS.

I just found this extremely badass video of the Australian SAS under training, I recommend everybody on here watch it.
Its awesome and shows that we got the skills to pay them bills ha!

Australian SAS Training Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JRqK2dFQCg

Last edited by GTS_300_Coupe; 27-12-2007 at 09:15 PM.
GTS_300_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2007, 09:12 PM   #2
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

yeah the SAS are pretty badass, they were the ones doing all the covert intell when the USA invad..i mean liberated Iraq.

Big props go to those guys.
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
yeah the SAS are pretty badass, they were the ones doing all the covert intell when the USA invad..i mean liberated Iraq.

Big props go to those guys.
Actually, to be specific....3RAR and 4RAR were first into the region. These were the guys they briefly showed on the news, but could not name, and all footage was of them wearing night vision gear.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2007, 09:20 PM   #4
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

The legion etrange would chew up and spit out them blokes..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Foreign_Legion
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2007, 10:51 PM   #5
exrtnz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378

TRUE THAT!! we got some of those guys out here working with us and they make the ex-us SF guys look like amatures.
Old 27-12-2007, 11:37 PM   #6
HLC
Audi S3

i would love to be in the SAS. that would be the most awesome thing ever.
Old 27-12-2007, 11:33 PM   #7
Scott

Quote:

Pity they've never helped France win a war though
(well, perhaps a thousand years ago maybe...... did the Foreign Legion exist then?)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2007, 11:42 PM   #8
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
(well, perhaps a thousand years ago maybe...... did the Foreign Legion exist then?)
The french rolled over and gave up, real tough.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2007, 12:19 AM   #9
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
The way I see it, the French (like the Swiss) don't like to get involved in wars, it's the number one cause of economic depression for a country, they'd rather remain a soveriegn nation and not end up owing huge sums of money to the 'elite' bankers like the Brits and Yanks do.

Back on topic, whether it's the Aussie SAS, the German GSG or the US Army Rangers...the best trained soldiers in the world are the one's who have actually seen "real" combat and it's ugly aftermath, no amount of training can prepare you for that...

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2007, 02:31 AM   #10
exrtnz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8
The way I see it, the French (like the Swiss) don't like to get involved in wars, it's the number one cause of economic depression for a country, they'd rather remain a soveriegn nation and not end up owing huge sums of money to the 'elite' bankers like the Brits and Yanks do. :
The French Foreign Legion have been many conflicts around the world, they come from different armies from all round the world .
Back to the subject, the aussie SAS are one of the top group of combat troops around on par probably with the NZ SAS who are very highly sort after for major conflicts .
Old 28-12-2007, 10:41 AM   #11
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
So they are to blame for a whole country loosing this or that?
They are probably the most battle experienced outfit in the world,and have been on constant deployment almost forever,have a look at their current deployments.
These guys are considered expendable,no political loss if a few dont make it back..
Look at their past history,they get sent into the worst of the worst,and are renown for fighting till the last man..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2007, 11:08 AM   #12
Scott

Quote:
So they are to blame for a whole country loosing this or that?
No, it's just ironic.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 12:28 AM   #13
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

With those uniforms I'd be more scared bending over infront of them then having a gun fight.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2008, 02:21 AM   #14
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPGMH
With those uniforms I'd be more scared bending over infront of them then having a gun fight.
Many Euro countries are more than 200 years old so have more elaborate uniforms than Aus or USA.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2007, 11:52 PM   #15
scoupedy

Australian SAS is reguarded as one of the best if not the best.... this is from other operators (delta, seals, etc) and their oponents....NVA and Vc called them the "phantoms of the jungle"
I have family friends and relatives that have served and I am in the SAS book list which is run by one of my relatives.
All special forces are professional units that are a force to be reakoned with...
Its easy to be one of the best when the Australian SAS is small compaired to others and doesn't have other units in the same country...
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2007, 12:29 AM   #16
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoupedy
I have family friends and relatives that have served and I am in the SAS book list which is run by one of my relatives.
What do you mean by book list.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2007, 10:06 AM   #17
scoupedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
What do you mean by book list.
The guy that runs it is ex SAS and he runs a military book shop from home and sends out lists of books he has for sale, he has many SAS and ex SAS troopers as customers.

Sorry that was abit vague
Old 28-12-2007, 11:51 PM   #18
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoupedy
Australian SAS is reguarded as one of the best if not the best.... this is from other operators (delta, seals, etc) and their oponents....NVA and Vc called them the "phantoms of the jungle"
not suprising considering when the yanks went on patrol it was like a bloody street parade was going on....

at any rate, yes, the SASR are good, but so are the Gurkha's and the Recce's (south african special forces)
Old 28-12-2007, 10:13 AM   #19
scoupedy

If you read '18 hours, Roberts Ridge, Black hawk Down and Bravo Two zero' you can't see how they are not the best.....The American special forces read like a black comedy, the fact that they get many out alive is amazing and a testimant to there real abilities the way they get into the sh%t is a joke and usually bad admin
Old 28-12-2007, 10:42 AM   #20
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember being told, by my cousin i'm pretty sure (he's ex-army), that the Aus regular army guys had a go at the delta force final training run, and blitzed the delta guys times by some ridiculas amount

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2007, 12:16 PM   #21
bingoTE50
Steve

With my limited knowledge , i think the SAS are the best. The problem with the Yanks is that they seem to be always on CNN etc.. When is the last time the SAS whereabouts were telecasted on the media .We never know what they are doing ,neither does the opposition. Old mate taliban just has to watch CNN etc to know what the yanks are up to !!
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2007, 01:35 PM   #22
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Of course the SAS guys are good. duh.
Old joke from the second Desert storm:

A large group of Iraqi soldiers are moving down a road when they hear a voice call from behind a sand dune. "One Aussie SAS soldier is better than ten Iraqis".

The Iraqi commander quickly orders 10 of his best men over the dune whereupon a gun-battle breaks out and continues for a few minutes, then silence.

The voice once again calls out "One Aussie SAS soldier is better than one hundred Iraqis". Furious, the Iraqi commander sends his next best 100 troops over the dune and instantly a huge gun fight commences. After 10 minutes of battle, again silence.

The Aussie voice calls out again "One Aussie SAS soldier is better than one thousand Iraqis".

The enraged Iraqi commander musters 1000 fighters and sends them to the other side of the dune. Rifle fire, machine guns, grenades, rockets and cannon fire ring out as a terrible battle is fought.... Then silence.

Eventually one badly wounded Iraqi fighter crawls back over the dune and with his dying words tells his commander, "Don't send any more men...... its a trap. There's two of them".
Old 28-12-2007, 05:22 PM   #23
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
Of course the SAS guys are good. duh.
Old joke from the second Desert storm:

A large group of Iraqi soldiers are moving down a road when they hear a voice call from behind a sand dune. "One Aussie SAS soldier is better than ten Iraqis".

The Iraqi commander quickly orders 10 of his best men over the dune whereupon a gun-battle breaks out and continues for a few minutes, then silence.

The voice once again calls out "One Aussie SAS soldier is better than one hundred Iraqis". Furious, the Iraqi commander sends his next best 100 troops over the dune and instantly a huge gun fight commences. After 10 minutes of battle, again silence.

The Aussie voice calls out again "One Aussie SAS soldier is better than one thousand Iraqis".

The enraged Iraqi commander musters 1000 fighters and sends them to the other side of the dune. Rifle fire, machine guns, grenades, rockets and cannon fire ring out as a terrible battle is fought.... Then silence.

Eventually one badly wounded Iraqi fighter crawls back over the dune and with his dying words tells his commander, "Don't send any more men...... its a trap. There's two of them".

PMSL
Old 28-12-2007, 02:12 PM   #24
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

Saying they are 'the best' is kind of strange. Consideration must be given to the theatre of war they are operating in. Jungle combat is considered a very strong point for Australian SASR, whereas the British SBS, fo rinstance, would be considered the best in the world at storming or taking a ship. Similarly, then Green Berets are basically only a highly competent teachign outfit, but are teh best at getting results using local units.

I don't think its possible to declare any special forces unit as 'the best'. It needs to be qualified a little more than that with where they are operating and what they are trying to achieve.
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2007, 04:29 PM   #25
Envious
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

SF Units worldwide are ranked in tiers, and yes, the SASR is right up there.

Oh and for anyone who has read '18 Hours' and thinks its a good book about the SASR, please rethink. It is a bucket of puss bs story and the sig that wrote it is quite hated now.

SASR are extremely good operators, as well they should be. They all originate from "The worlds best small Army".
Old 29-12-2007, 11:03 AM   #26
scoupedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious
SF Units worldwide are ranked in tiers, and yes, the SASR is right up there.

Oh and for anyone who has read '18 Hours' and thinks its a good book about the SASR, please rethink. It is a bucket of puss bs story and the sig that wrote it is quite hated now.

SASR are extremely good operators, as well they should be. They all originate from "The worlds best small Army".
I wasn't using the reference to '18 hours' as to show how good the SAS is BUT to say how bad the Rangers/mountain div can be...as you said the SAS guy was Sig and on his own the fact that he had the only working coms in the skate bowl shows how bad the Rangers/ Mountain div can be...
Please explain how it is BS? did he embelish his story of just write it?
Old 29-12-2007, 01:18 PM   #27
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Apparently the Kiwi SAS are pretty good....

Quote:
Members of the 1st New Zealand Special Air Service (NZSAS) who served in Afghanistan were honoured with a special United States service ribbon presented by Minister of Defence Phil Goff earlier today.

The ribbon denotes the United States Navy Presidential Unit Citation presented to the NZSAS by US President George Bush in December 2004.

The citation was presented in recognition of NZSAS service with the Combined Joint Special Operations Task Force (CJSOTF) in Afghanistan over the period December 2001 to May 2002.

The citation was awarded for “extraordinary heroism and outstanding performance of duty in action” in Afghanistan from 17 October 2001 until 20 March 2002.

It noted that those awarded established “benchmark standard of professionalism, tenacity, courage, tactical brilliance, and operational brilliance, and operational excellence while demonstrating superb esprit de corps and maintaining the highest measures of combat readiness.

Add to that a member was awarded the VC earlier this year
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2007, 02:09 AM   #28
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA_Turbs
Saying they are 'the best' is kind of strange. Consideration must be given to the theatre of war they are operating in. Jungle combat is considered a very strong point for Australian SASR, whereas the British SBS, fo rinstance, would be considered the best in the world at storming or taking a ship. Similarly, then Green Berets are basically only a highly competent teachign outfit, but are teh best at getting results using local units.

I don't think its possible to declare any special forces unit as 'the best'. It needs to be qualified a little more than that with where they are operating and what they are trying to achieve.
I'd agree with most of this comment.

When the old man was in the SAS ('73-'78), most credit worldwide was given in this order:

Pommy SAS
Aussie SAS
French Foreigh Legion

Seal's were ranked quite lowly and Green berets were less again.

When it came to Jungle warfare, the Aussie SAS and Pommy trained Ghurka's were right at the pointy end.

Times have changed, and the Aussie SAS, once known for it's skills in the jungle is well held and respected in Afghanistan.

Still won't tell me anything the old bugger!

Daniel.
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2008, 02:43 PM   #29
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
I'd agree with most of this comment.

When the old man was in the SAS ('73-'78), most credit worldwide was given in this order:

Pommy SAS
Aussie SAS
French Foreigh Legion

Seal's were ranked quite lowly and Green berets were less again.

When it came to Jungle warfare, the Aussie SAS and Pommy trained Ghurka's were right at the pointy end.

Times have changed, and the Aussie SAS, once known for it's skills in the jungle is well held and respected in Afghanistan.

Still won't tell me anything the old bugger!

Daniel.
First year at uni, I boarded with a family and the father had been in the army for years and years. Commenting on the Ghurkas he said that out in the jungle during the night without having heard or seen a thing you would feel a blade pressed up against your throat and a hand that felt the badges on your uniform, checking to see if you were an ally or not.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 03:39 AM   #30
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
Commenting on the Ghurkas he said that out in the jungle during the night without having heard or seen a thing you would feel a blade pressed up against your throat and a hand that felt the badges on your uniform, checking to see if you were an ally or not.
During the Falklands war, 'released',- they had a habit of stringing ears of slain Argentine foe 'as proof' of effort to show their British force counterparts, it was almost a competition among them to see who could 'get the most'. T'was quitely suggested they not make a habit of doing this.

In East Timor when TNI were still around Dili, in a scene captured by camera crew, had a Ghurka simply walking in and 'camping' himself directly in an Indonesian pit overlooking town, his weapon aimed at those 'occupying' troops, to make them uncomfortable and leave.

One of the Indonesians standing up, in english bearing 'sly-smile' and sarcastic laugh said vis - 'you look, but not aim gun at us okay?' and phsically motions the stock of Ghurkas rifle 'away' - so that it is not aimed directly at them. The ghurka, a smaller build man, not in the least showing intimidation, simply immediately re-aims and continues observation, 'ignoring' the Indonesian as irrelevant. They get up and chatter among themselves at their new 'visitor' camped in their elevated pit and slink off away from the scene.

A tense moment that signalled the 'determination' of the Gurkha, they understood what I'd call the displayed 'arrogance' of serving TNI and would accept none of it.

IF they had tried something on, no doubt in earth none of the three indonesians would be alive, the ghurka meant business.

Last edited by Keepleft; 05-01-2008 at 03:47 AM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post