Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #1
WHYME
Next up?

Default Modern Day Cars & the Test of Time.

So my fellow Ford brethren, it's true that many of us want to hang onto our cars for a long time, if not forever.

The saying can be true especially for those of us who own classics like FPV's and high performance cars in general.

Now my question is, would it be possible to keep a modern day car (by modern I mean BA onwards) for the next 20+ years?

We all know the old school cars like XY's etc, have stood the test of time but they weren't really advanced in terms of technology and electronics, therefore easy to maintain and keep running.

How will our cars hold up in the future? Will parts be easy to find when something goes bust? With our cars being more technologically advanced, a lot more things can go wrong so what do you think fellow pub members?

WHYME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2014, 03:51 PM   #2
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Default Re: Modern Day Cars & the Test of Time.

I think so. Where there is a will, there is a way. When VN's and EA's were new people claimed they wouldn't last but they are still around.

The key is looking after them. Unfortunately as a car ages it's value decreases to the point the "carefactor" in looking after it becomes zero. That and the number of owners it has had, especially younger drivers with their youthful exuberance and the toll it can take on an older car.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2014, 03:54 PM   #3
Sioso
irregular member

If the car in question has some sort of following in the future then there will be someone around willing to capitalise on it.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2014, 04:56 PM   #4
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about the electronics and computer hardware/software that virtually runs modern cars. What will happen with that as those systems become obsolete and superseded? And will the average amateur be able to tinker around with that and keep it going?
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #5
Chopped
as in chopped

If there is a market for it and money to be made, then yes these cars will survive.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #6
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Enthusiasts already do it with 40 year old superseded audio and other old electronic goods.

They find newer compatible components, aftermarket supply’s some replica parts, they come up with bypass systems that integrate modern day modules and so on.

So yeah, as others have said, if there is a future market, there will be a way.
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2014, 05:46 PM   #7
Lunch
Wait, what?

I hope so cos i really want to get my grubby hands on a FORCE 8 or even a nice BF GT-P and put it in the shed on the farm, I was stalking a sweet xm coupe on eastlink on Sunday, for some reason i cant see my fg xr6t lasting that long
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2014, 05:33 PM   #8
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
What about the electronics and computer hardware/software that virtually runs modern cars. What will happen with that as those systems become obsolete and superseded? And will the average amateur be able to tinker around with that and keep it going?
I'm tipping in 20 or 30 years there will be some ridiculous phone app that will be able to bypass and or replicate all of your car's systems in the event one fails.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2014, 12:34 AM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
Cooldrive in Thomastown in Melbourne is doing replacement ECU and BCM for many cars now and Injectronics in Tullamarine can repair most module faults too.

Even older Falcons such as E series, in the last 5 years there has been a few interesting developments occuring on the scene.

The problem E series have is that no one wants to spend money fixing them as they're worth less than two full days labour costs if you have something out of the norm occuring with it.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #10
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Cooldrive in Thomastown in Melbourne is doing replacement ECU and BCM for many cars now and Injectronics in Tullamarine can repair most module faults too.

Even older Falcons such as E series, in the last 5 years there has been a few interesting developments occuring on the scene.
Good to know.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:23 PM   #11
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you will need to look after modern cars a lot better than the older cars. Cars like most things nowadays are not made to last. Companies want you to buy the newest and latest model of everything. Plus with all the electronics, these parts can stop working even without being used a lot.
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
BLUEYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2014, 10:23 PM   #12
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To look at where a BA GT would be in 20 years time, you only have to look at the age gap in today's terms - which is looking at the mid 80s cars

30 years ago we had basic EFI (Bosch L-Jetronic) in Holdens & Fords, and some of those are still surviving, with very little support from the aftermarket.

With GTs, there's such a strong following for the X series, that the aftermarket has flourished, through sheer demand.

The demand isn't as far reaching with 'newer' old cars, but there are niches being capitalised upon by those with the business & low-volume production know-how, and those opportunities will continue to present themselves.

You only have to look at 28 year old VL turbos. Whilst a lot of them are heavily modified, there's still a fair number running stock electronic systems - years of experience have nutted out all the common issues and solutions.

That being said, it's not the electronics that are an issue with the VL - it's finding parts unique to that model - it's almost impossible to get brand new genuine headlights for both sides, and genuine bumper plastics are like rocking horse doo-doo (aftermarket is rubbish). People are having to pay stupid money for NOS parts to finish earlier commodore restorations ($1200 for a pair of VK headlights, VH SLE tail lights advertised for the cost of a VR commodore etc).

Unless you have the volume to justify reproducing decent quality parts, then it's those sort of parts, not the electronics that will end up being the problem.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2014, 11:20 PM   #13
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
Unless you have the volume to justify reproducing decent quality parts, then it's those sort of parts, not the electronics that will end up being the problem.
What if Rare Spares diversifies into 3D printer templates by the end of the decade... ;)
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #14
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
To look at where a BA GT would be in 20 years time, you only have to look at the age gap in today's terms - which is looking at the mid 80s cars

30 years ago we had basic EFI (Bosch L-Jetronic) in Holdens & Fords, and some of those are still surviving, with very little support from the aftermarket.

With GTs, there's such a strong following for the X series, that the aftermarket has flourished, through sheer demand.

The demand isn't as far reaching with 'newer' old cars, but there are niches being capitalised upon by those with the business & low-volume production know-how, and those opportunities will continue to present themselves.

You only have to look at 28 year old VL turbos. Whilst a lot of them are heavily modified, there's still a fair number running stock electronic systems - years of experience have nutted out all the common issues and solutions.

That being said, it's not the electronics that are an issue with the VL - it's finding parts unique to that model - it's almost impossible to get brand new genuine headlights for both sides, and genuine bumper plastics are like rocking horse doo-doo (aftermarket is rubbish). People are having to pay stupid money for NOS parts to finish earlier commodore restorations ($1200 for a pair of VK headlights, VH SLE tail lights advertised for the cost of a VR commodore etc).

VL Turbo are hardly a classic car - combo of GM body with Nissan engine was necessity of the time for Holden but restoring one ? Probably not.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2014, 11:18 AM   #15
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
VL Turbo are hardly a classic car - combo of GM body with Nissan engine was necessity of the time for Holden but restoring one ? Probably not.
One man's trash is another man's treasure. Just look at how little XY's were worth at one point in time..
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2014, 12:39 PM   #16
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
One man's trash is another man's treasure. Just look at how little XY's were worth at one point in time..
True to some extent. Probably all cars from that era suffered a similar decrease in value and desirability ( XY's the least I'd assume) for different reasons. I doubt it will ever happen like that again though. Even Van Gogh died a penniless man.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2014, 12:55 AM   #17
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
The XY GTs were always pricey, relative to the non GTs. About the only OZ car to consistantly command a fairly good price until the muscle car boom...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2014, 10:59 PM   #18
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Haven't been to Melbourne much? They are a cult car down there, with many more yellow ones ripping up the streets than GMH ever produced. Sound familiar to how many GTs left Broadmeadows?

Very few single models of car (and even narrowing it down to just one engine spec) can claim that sort of following and fanaticism, so they are definitely becoming a modern classic.

And the guys wanting genuine parts (like the glass headlight lenses) are restoring VL Brocks & Walkinshaws. They are quite popular as a form of modern muscle.
4 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2014, 01:02 PM   #19
WHYME
Next up?

Quote:
Quote:
Haven't been to Melbourne much? They are a cult car down there, with many more yellow ones ripping up the streets than GMH ever produced. Sound familiar to how many GTs left Broadmeadows?

Very few single models of car (and even narrowing it down to just one engine spec) can claim that sort of following and fanaticism, so they are definitely becoming a modern classic.

And the guys wanting genuine parts (like the glass headlight lenses) are restoring VL Brocks & Walkinshaws. They are quite popular as a form of modern muscle.
Yep it's true. VL Turbos have a huge following down here (not sure how it is in other states) but they can definitely be considered a modern classic.

In fact they demand pretty good coin too, just check carsales and you might be surprised how much some good examples are going for.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:25 PM   #20
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think there will be always people out there willing to put in the time and effort into learning how to restore and maintain all the complicated computers and electronics in newer cars.
But it will probably will be more expensive to restore a current model car in 40 years than it is to restore a 40 year old car now.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2014, 06:36 AM   #21
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That might be OK for plastic parts, but not glass OEM headlight lenses.

And if the quality of their existing range is anything to go by....
Old 06-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #22
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
That might be OK for plastic parts, but not glass OEM headlight lenses.

And if the quality of their existing range is anything to go by....
"Existing range" ? Do they still make OEM glass lenses ?
Old 06-12-2014, 03:22 PM   #23
xrxystu
Hangar pilot....

In regards to the orignal question, a mate and I were discussing a similar thing the other day.

I have just bought myself a 1992 EB Fairmont Ghia. It's unregistered at the moment and needs a little bit of work to get back on the road but is still in remarkably good condition for a 22 year old car. All the electrics work just fine, the engine, brakes and driveline are still good and there's no rust in it. It's done about 220,000kms.

Back in the early 90's I got my first car- a 1967 XR Fairmont which I still have to this day. When I got the XR it was pretty clapped out- rusty, interior in poor condition, engine in need of a rebuild, brakes stuffed and about every suspension part needed replacing. At the time it was a 24 year old car.

From that, I'd say that cars are built much better these days.

But of course a lot of it comes down to who owns them and how they've been treated.

Stu
xrxystu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2014, 09:21 PM   #24
WHYME
Next up?

Good answers so far, my biggest concern would be the electronics and how they hold up in the long term, but I guess if you look after your car anything is possible.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:19 AM   #25
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully6 View Post
I guess if you look after your car anything is possible.
That, and how much you're prepared to spend. Any car can last a long time if you're willing to spend money on keeping it in top notch condition.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2014, 02:18 PM   #26
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
That, and how much you're prepared to spend. Any car can last a long time if you're willing to spend money on keeping it in top notch condition.
Regular maintenance and regular useage.

Cars stored away may look good on the outside but lots of things like seals and sundry electricals can perish over time.

Also , if you plan to keep the car , stash away the perishables now whilst there are factory original spares available. Interior trim and fabric , rubber door seals and switches. With B series , we are lucky , wreckers will be full of them for a while to come and plenty of B series FPV's still around. The prices though will make your sphincter contract smaller than the eye of a needle........
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2014, 03:21 PM   #27
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

rust kills anything

there is no way it effects the newer stuff like any of the X Series

knowledge and simple fixes follow the era of the car

new stuff will hang in there a lot better than the old stuff

no bs
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #28
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Don't see why not. Whole systems can be upgraded changed out. Replace the suspension, wiring looms, engine, trans. Car are just piles of interchangeable parts are they not. Harder to keep the car totally original when parts dry up. Then the aftermarket steps in.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2014, 01:34 PM   #29
Magna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my brother's got a 1988 EA Falcon wagon daily, still going strong after 26 years.
Magna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post