Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-09-2015, 12:39 PM   #1
Sioso
irregular member

Default Flashing: Yes or No?

After going past a speed trap do you flash oncoming vehicles?
(I'm talking about headlights).

I had a few dozen vehicles come past yesterday prior to going past a speed camera set up on the side of the road (a side street out in the middle of nowhere - 60 zone) not a single car gave me a warning.

I was sitting on the speed limit anyway so no problem there, but it does appear to be happening less and less.

I figure if they are going to go to the trouble of hiding I'll go to the trouble of letting others know, especially when the spot they choose isn't dangerous but is suspiciously close to a change in speed limits.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2015, 12:44 PM   #2
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default Re: Flashing: Yes or No?

As I see much of the speed related cameras as nothing more than a revenue raiser targeting low range speeders, I have no problem with people giving fellow drivers a fighting chance.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2015, 12:53 PM   #3
XBv8mmm!

Simple answer, yes.

Revenue raiser cameras are just another way to raise a tax.
If they were set up in black spots that would be different, but they are not.
A straight road with clear vision is not a black spot. Nor is a camera just on the other side of a speed limit zone change.
Old 30-09-2015, 01:00 PM   #4
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Yes I do all the time

Quote:
POLICE say they are happy for drivers to flash their lights to warn other motorists about speed cameras.

Traffic Superintendent Dean McWhirter today said he was happy for motorists to flash their lights to warn other motorists they were approaching a speed camera.

"If that occurs I am comfortable with that because it means actually people are getting the message," Supt McWhirter said today
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law...-1226739895665

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 30-09-2015, 12:49 PM   #5
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

I used to but because there are soo many of them - I got lazy!
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-10-2015, 03:19 PM   #6
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
I used to but because there are soo many of them - I got lazy!
Same

Sometimes i do when i care, other times no as no one does it for me it seems.
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2015, 12:59 PM   #7
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always appreciate a flash if I get one; and will flash my lights to oncoming traffic it doesn't look like a police car is amongst them.

Once though, it was dusk and I was turning right to go into Bunnings, having just driven past a mobile speed trap. Flashed the oncoming cars, one of which I realised was a police car when it drew closer.

Decided to change plans right then and there, and elected to visit another Bunnings store instead.
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 30-09-2015, 01:07 PM   #8
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was pretty sure it is illegal to flash your lights, but it must be up to individual officers' discretion.

Says it's illegal here & here.
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-10-2015, 07:24 AM   #9
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford17 View Post
Was pretty sure it is illegal to flash your lights, but it must be up to individual officers' discretion.

This is the funniest thing I have read this morning, the second article is.

NSW police media say that while there’s no specific law against flashing your lights to warn other motorists, doing so may still result in a fine and demerit points.

I wonder what they will fine you with, made up laws.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2015, 08:51 AM   #10
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
This is the funniest thing I have read this morning, the second article is.

NSW police media say that while there’s no specific law against flashing your lights to warn other motorists, doing so may still result in a fine and demerit points.

I wonder what they will fine you with, made up laws.
Read the rest and it clearly states the law.

"The official term for the offence is “Use high-beam on oncoming vehicle less than 200 metres”, and the penalty is an $88 fine and one demerit point."

So warning a driver is not illegal, but using your high beams to do it is.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:26 PM   #11
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford17 View Post

LOL - Flashing lights slows people down so job well done
AND in Vic Suburbs Camera Cars are not set up in major accident or fatal areas - what a load of BS
Quote:
Mackay District Road Policing Unit Senior Constable Simon Robinson said marked police cars on the side of the road with speed cameras not only caught people speeding but indicated where the high-crash zones were around Mackay.

"The areas where we are set up are where there have been major accidents or fatals," he said.
"We want people to slow down in those spots."

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2015, 01:00 PM   #12
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do the opposite.

If there is a camera, i wont flash people. If i speed, i've accepted the cost of the fine to go that speed. My opinion is, so have other road users who risk it.

That said, if i see someone driving like a ****tard (clearly going way above the limit) i'll randomly flash where there isn't a camera so they freak out and slow down
STEALTHY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2015, 10:41 PM   #13
V8 Ghia Mike
Blue blooded Ford guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
I do the opposite.

If there is a camera, i wont flash people. If i speed, i've accepted the cost of the fine to go that speed. My opinion is, so have other road users who risk it.

That said, if i see someone driving like a ****tard (clearly going way above the limit) i'll randomly flash where there isn't a camera so they freak out and slow down
Exactly what I do mate. It certainly slows down the tools.

94 EF Fairmont Ghia 5.0- XR8 in a tuxedo...
Bordeaux purple, Tickford kit, 2.5+ inch drop, EL Ghia chrome, leather, Pioneer sound, C&C, electric everything, 18" BA XR8's, ABS, LSD, GT40P's, Crane cam, ChipTorque ECU, XR8 snorkel, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights.
V8 Ghia Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2015, 01:10 PM   #14
STINKY NINJA
Banned

I flash,there was a couple of guys that were sitting a little way up the road and holding signs warning of the camera ahead here in perth,apparently its legal to do so because there was a story about it somewhere good blokes!
I saw them on fremantle road gosnells and Tonkin hwy
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-09-2015, 01:31 PM   #15
Carrion

Its illegal in NSW. Chances are there is a chase car waiting around the corner that may see you.

Don't speed.
Carrion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #16
wicksy
Just a bogan VF SS driver

i do when i remember, but i have also flashed an unmarked car one day that was funny, he just flashed the sirens and waved too me hah
Old 30-09-2015, 01:50 PM   #17
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Do it all the time, especially when travelling to the snow from Canberra. This year in the snow season there wasn't actually many set up. They targeted silly overtakes this year and nailed a lot of people. It was great to see as there are always head ons on the Monaro between Cooma and Jindy.

It's amazing how many people don't do it anymore
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2015, 02:10 PM   #18
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

I call it over the cb, and flash cars.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 30-09-2015, 02:25 PM   #19
bazza91
Backyard Mechanic

Always flash the lights to let others know about a camera. The only exception is when i see someone who is really pushing the limits driving way over the limit or is tailgating heavily or dangerously overtaking. In my opinion they deserve to be booked so im not going to give them any warning. But the average motorist cruising along doesnt deserve to get pinged going 3kmh over so they will get a warning from me about a camera.
bazza91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2015, 10:56 AM   #20
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza91 View Post
Always flash the lights to let others know about a camera. The only exception is when i see someone who is really pushing the limits driving way over the limit or is tailgating heavily or dangerously overtaking. In my opinion they deserve to be booked so im not going to give them any warning. But the average motorist cruising along doesnt deserve to get pinged going 3kmh over so they will get a warning from me about a camera.
The fact that these people pushing the limits, are still on the road, probably points to the fact that they dont drive like that all the time. So theres a good chance that you are flashing people that do do it sometimes, but just not when around you. Maybe if the cops knocked on your door, to say a speeding motorist has killed your mum, dad, sister, brother or child etc, then you may sit down and wonder if it was someone you had warned, and never had to learn his lesson.

People dont get speeding fines for not speeding and yet oddly, innocent people get killed by speedsters who lose control of their vehicle.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2015, 11:26 AM   #21
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda View Post
The fact that these people pushing the limits, are still on the road, probably points to the fact that they dont drive like that all the time. So theres a good chance that you are flashing people that do do it sometimes, but just not when around you. Maybe if the cops knocked on your door, to say a speeding motorist has killed your mum, dad, sister, brother or child etc, then you may sit down and wonder if it was someone you had warned, and never had to learn his lesson.

People dont get speeding fines for not speeding and yet oddly, innocent people get killed by speedsters who lose control of their vehicle.
I understand what you are saying but many people are not pushing the limits and many also get killed in vehicles for inattentiveness and fatigue as well and there are some draconian speeding laws that are not consistent with the roads or vehicles that use them and team that with the majority of speed violations are low range it’s hard for the public to fathoms these laws are just about their safety and not a means to raise revenue.

Sure, hit drivers hard in areas like school zones and where the speed is excessive but out on an open highway doing ten over the limit or five or so on an arterial road going downhill is a different matter.

In the mind of many motorists, speed restrictions need to be readdressed.

And yes you may flash someone who is excessive and doesn’t deserve a warning but those drivers are usually serial offenders and even when caught will continue to be a danger on the roads.

You’ve only got to watch that program on the Tele about the Highway Patrol to see the stupid things people do that don’t involve speeding and in many cases in my opinion, the fines appear to be of little deterrent.

The number of people that drive while unlicensed or unregistered vehicles astonishes me.

Just my opinion.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:10 PM   #22
Tom Tucker

I do, but it annoys me that nobody acknowledges you trying to help them theses days. Hardly ever get a thank you wave. It's simple manners.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:18 AM   #23
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I understand what you are saying but many people are not pushing the limits and many also get killed in vehicles for inattentiveness and fatigue as well and there are some draconian speeding laws that are not consistent with the roads or vehicles that use them and team that with the majority of speed violations are low range it’s hard for the public to fathoms these laws are just about their safety and not a means to raise revenue.

Sure, hit drivers hard in areas like school zones and where the speed is excessive but out on an open highway doing ten over the limit or five or so on an arterial road going downhill is a different matter.
In the mind of many motorists, speed restrictions need to be readdressed.
And yes you may flash someone who is excessive and doesn’t deserve a warning but those drivers are usually serial offenders and even when caught will continue to be a danger on the roads.
You’ve only got to watch that program on the Tele about the Highway Patrol to see the stupid things people do that don’t involve speeding and in many cases in my opinion, the fines appear to be of little deterrent.
The number of people that drive while unlicensed or unregistered vehicles astonishes me.
Just my opinion.
The main issue is, even if the Governments true intention is not to save lives, but is to use them as a revenue raiser (and its probably a combination of both), then they are going to set out to get that revenue anyhow. It can be by fining people who are speeding (and only people who are speeding, not people who do the right thing), and potentially save the life of one of your loved one. Or they could slug the general population, and increase land taxes, water rates, registration etc etc. When people flash speeding drivers, then not only do they risk killing their own loved one, they are also saying i would love to be the one paying more taxes, rather than the twit doing the wrong thing. You achieve absolutely nothing by flashing someone,and you risk peoples lives, and no one can justify any logic in it. You dont stop the revenue source, you simply shift it somewhere else.

"Here ya go mate, i saved you from getting a fine, and next month you might go out and kill my son, and i aint the brightest person in the world, so after i attend my sons funeral, i will walk into the rego office and pay an extra $20 on my registration that the government need not have raised if only i let you get that fine"

Last edited by bobthebilda; 03-10-2015 at 10:44 AM.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2015, 12:00 PM   #24
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
The main issue is, even if the Governments true intention is not to save lives, but is to use them as a revenue raiser (and its probably a combination of both), then they are going to set out to get that revenue anyhow. It can be by fining people who are speeding (and only people who are speeding, not people who do the right thing), and potentially save the life of one of your loved one. Or they could slug the general population, and increase land taxes, water rates, registration etc etc. When people flash speeding drivers, then not only do they risk killing their own loved one, they are also saying i would love to be the one paying more taxes, rather than the twit doing the wrong thing. You achieve absolutely nothing by flashing someone,and you risk peoples lives, and no one can justify any logic in it. You dont stop the revenue source, you simply shift it somewhere else.

"Here ya go mate, i saved you from getting a fine, and next month you might go out and kill my son, and i aint the brightest person in the world, so after i attend my sons funeral, i will walk into the rego office and pay an extra $20 on my registration that the government need not have raised if only i let you get that fine"
There are lots of tactics employed by every echelon of Government from Local to Federal to revenue raise and the example of catching out low range speeders to fill the coffers is just one where Governments op for the easy but not necessarily most dangerous target.

The counter attack is, if Government’s weren’t organisations that are so self-serving and wasteful when it comes to public money, maybe, just maybe these tactics wouldn’t be needed and more money would be available simply because wastage is controlled.

Then speed limits in some areas could be lifted to give the public the impression this is about safety and not just about trying to catch people out to raise money.

The constant variation of speed limits along roads and streets for no common sense reason where a driver has to be alert to speed signs at the expense of being attentive to the act of safe driving is an issue that often pops up.

Mobile phones are considered as dangerous and deadly as drink driving but the penalties don’t reflect that and is it because Governments haven’t yet figured out a means for a camera to catch you on the phone so they can revenue raise.

I’m not a person that condones life threatening activities but I am one that believes there is real and perceived differences in the level of an activity and I’m just saying it doesn’t hurt to give motorists a fair go and if flashing your lights gives them a fighting chance against a Government that isn’t really in it for the safety of motorists then I can live with that.

As far as your reference to raising taxes is concerned, even a dill would understand that Australia is long overdue for some meaningful Tax reform.

I also know some people will take the high road where speed kills and they won’t accept there may be a difference between being 1km over or 100km and there are those like me who sit on the fence and see a need for a more understanding approach to why people speed.

I read once that if a large percentage of motorists are driving say 10 kilometres over the limit then the limit doesn’t reflect what most motorists consider to be safe and that limit should be reassessed.

But we have differing opinions and that’s good a good thing as it allows different arguments for and against to be put out for discussion.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:57 PM   #25
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

'Speedster's' who are killing your mum etc are most likely doing 160 in a 50 zone while off one's face on ice. I doubt there is one death caused by people doing 65 in a 60 zone for example which is what the majority is fined for. Revenue raising bottom dwellers-flash away!
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2015, 02:48 PM   #26
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

There has been reported instances of another cop car up from a radar trap booking drivers for flashing. Deliberate entrapment.

These are rumors however, and up here in Qld.

But rumors are usually true.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2015, 02:54 PM   #27
Carrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver View Post
There has been reported instances of another cop car up from a radar trap booking drivers for flashing. Deliberate entrapment.

That's the chase car
Carrion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2015, 11:29 PM   #28
ovaxitd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver View Post

Did it, got the above, "Dazzling other road users" is the fine, was $50 now 75.. not allowed to use your highbeams within 50m of another road user....

Hasnt stopped me, just more cautious after speed cameras/ undercovers

2010 Sunburst XR6T 50th Ute- Stock for now
2010 Winter White G6ET 13.01 @107.91 2.055 60'- Stock -SOLD
ovaxitd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2015, 02:54 PM   #29
bc47

not going to lie, the title of this thread got me.

but yeah I will flash all the time

2011 FG XR6 turbo lightning strike, shockworks coilovers, brembo 4 pot/pbr rear.

pb 13.6 @110mph AFF Drag Nats, the only time I've received a compliment for finishing in 13

new pb at Winton 1.45.8 the track taxi lives on
bc47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-09-2015, 03:00 PM   #30
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What the police will get you under (same law across Australia) is use of high beam within 200 metres of oncoming car. The way around that would be to turn your headlights on and off (low beam) quickly, no law against that.

But I bet they'd enforce that law selectively. For example, many out of courtesy would flash another vehicle to indicate that they can turn in front of you. The police could raise a lot of money out of that one and at the same time clamp down on social politeness. Can't have politeness in society can we.

Another aspect of life where common sense has gone out the window to be replaced by nannying.